The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Another mystery bird.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: another jade question| Next thread: Another Newbie! HELP!! »
Back to Thread index
by loz on April 02, 2006 03:13 AM
Another unidentified bird...2 in a 2 day period...WOW......

Anyone know what this is...sorry the picture isn't great again....I can't get too close or they fly away.

-

-

That fine looking birdfeeder was a gift from Cindy for guessing Lolas middle name...it has a matching birdhouse that I have in that tree too. [thumb]
by melcon6 on April 02, 2006 03:52 AM
Looks like a brown-headed cowbird and looks like you aren't the only one to see one! Check out Thorny's reply here.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by melcon6 on April 02, 2006 03:58 AM
Here's a link.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by loz on April 02, 2006 03:59 AM
Wow, that looks just like it....thanks Mel...2 mystery birds in 2 days...I just think it's fantastic!!!! [muggs]
by afgreyparrot on April 02, 2006 04:02 AM
How come I have never seen one of those birds at my feeders? [nutz]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Thornius on April 02, 2006 05:21 AM
I don't have Cowbirds at my feeders either, Cindy, but they are in the neighbor's yard juswt 30 feet from my feeders ALL the time. Cowbirds are fickle (and SATANIC [devil] [devil] [devil] )

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by loz on April 02, 2006 05:55 AM
Why don't you like them Thorny????
by loz on April 02, 2006 05:58 AM
I think I just saw a catbird.......never noticed them around here either.....this has been a heck of a past few days for new bird sightings here.
by Thornius on April 02, 2006 07:49 AM
Cowbirds do NOT build a nest OR raise their own young. A female Cowbird finds the nest of some other species of bird and removes one egg and lays one of her own to replace it. The unsuspecting Cardinal or Warbler or whatever then raises the Cowbird chick as one of her own. often the baby Cowbirds KICK the other babies out of the nest until only they remain [shocked] ! Many endangered birds have their numbers further reduced by this Cowbird behavior. Google Cowbird Behavior to learn more about this destructive behavior.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 02, 2006 07:55 AM
Here are some Brown-Headed Cowbird Males I took a picture of in my neighbor's yard.

SEE! They really are brown!
 -

-
 -
by loz on April 02, 2006 08:11 AM
Well that's not very nice of them. [Razz] [Frown] [Razz]
by afgreyparrot on April 02, 2006 08:36 AM
Well...I went outside awhile ago and look what was at my feeder...and the entire maple tree was full of them! [shocked]
 -

-

-
 -
 -
by pagarden on April 02, 2006 08:46 AM
wow- they sure are popping up a lot now that spring has finally sprung huh? [clappy] yea- i had heard about their behavior and wasn't so thrilled with it, but nature is nature i suppose.
by Thornius on April 02, 2006 09:30 AM
Brown-Headed Cowbirds are in most of the Eastern US all year but spread out in the Fall/Winter. In Spring?Summer they cluster together in large groupd for mating and nest-stealing and then disperse.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 02, 2006 09:33 AM
The ones with gun-metal blue bodies and brown heads are males, Cindy. The ALL greyish/brown birds are the evil, fiendish females. (But they're cute)

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 02, 2006 09:48 AM
quote:
the evil, fiendish females. (But they're cute)

Most of us evil, fiendish females are kinda cute! [Smile]

-
 -
 -
by pagarden on April 02, 2006 10:55 AM
LOL- yup!
by loz on April 02, 2006 10:59 AM
quote:
Most of us evil, fiendish females are kinda cute!
[muggs] [Big Grin] [muggs]
by limey on April 02, 2006 11:52 AM
Last year in my garden we had a little chipping sparrow feeding a Brown headed cowbird.The baby cowbird was twice the size of the "parent" feeding it.It did look like an over worked "Mom"
Dave

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: another jade question| Next thread: Another Newbie! HELP!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: