The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hummingbird Progress

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hummingbird Progress| Next thread: Hummingbird Progress »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 3 2 1
by patches1414 on April 04, 2006 01:26 AM
I've been looking but haven't seen any around here [Frown] and I am just east of St. Louis.

Porter, did you get any damage from the storms? We were lucky around here, but Fairview Heights, which is about 2 miles (as the crow flies) from me got hit pretty hard. [tears] They shut down the whole city yesterday. [Frown]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by loz on April 04, 2006 01:42 AM
quote:
Loz, "The Hummer's heals are at thy shore, Maryland, my Maryland!"

[grin] [clappy] [grin]

I hung one of my feeders out yesterday, so did my neighbor! [thumb] I can't wait!
by afgreyparrot on April 04, 2006 02:09 AM
It was so funny when I hung the hummingbird feeders out. Lola immediatelky started making the squeaky noise that the hummingbirds make! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by obywan59 on April 04, 2006 02:21 AM
That's one smart bird! And JV's bird too, getting all excited when Hunter came home.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by porter57 on April 04, 2006 03:17 AM
no damage here. few tree limbs down but they were gonna come down anyway.traffic light was blown down at gravois and loughborough.went into the quicktrip on that corner for a soda and informed the 20 year old clerk in there.
she said no big deal doesnt matter to us.
the thing was still live and signaling laying on the ground. kinda dumb IMO. someone could have been electrocuted.
by patches1414 on April 04, 2006 05:54 AM
Sorry to hear the clerk wasn't more concerned, but these young people today only think of what concerns them. [Frown] I'm not familar with Gravois and Loughborough, but used to go to a neat pet store near Hampton and Loughborough, so I know that area. We used to always go to Gravois and Chippawa to see the live Christmas display at the car dealership, but that was many, many, many years ago. [Frown] It's probably gone now.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by porter57 on April 04, 2006 06:46 AM
sad to say but that pet store is gone
believe it was called pet treasures.
had a dog grooming place in back called house of phideau. i think the grooming place is still there but the pet store along with its sister store in the k mart plaza on lemay ferry in south county is long gone.
by patches1414 on April 04, 2006 07:39 AM
PROGRESS! [Frown] I know progress is good, but sometimes it's a little sad! [tears] Plus, it's the progress that is taking all the trees and land away from our feathered friends. [tears] We have a nice stretch of farmland just a few blocks from here and they are excavating it and building houses and who knows what else because I think some of it is listed as commercial. Guess I need to put out additional feeders, houses, and bird baths so they have someplace to go. I just hope they don't decide to go somewhere else. [dunno]

Porter, I guess one of the things that hit me the hardest was seeing Famous-Barr on Kingshighway totally gone! [tears] I remember when my cousin took me to see them digging the foundation for it to be built and knowing I saw it come and go made me realize just how old I am! [Eek!] [tears]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by porter57 on April 04, 2006 08:16 AM
that area was my backyard when i was a kid
i remember learning to drive on sundays on vacant store parking lots as the stores werent allowed to open on sundays. we used to play on the elevators at south town when we were bored kids. and jumping off the coal pile on ridgewood.
and exploring the abandoned clay mines where the venture store was eventually built(now a burlington coat factory outlet).
by bettyboop1948 on April 04, 2006 08:26 PM
SO Sad to hear Pet Treasures is gone,I use to go there alot my self.But I guess thing's change alot when you leave St.Louis, [flower]
bettyboop
by bettyboop1948 on April 04, 2006 08:50 PM
[Embarrassed] I have my feeder's out to, I am in small town
in Cherryville Missouri have not seen any yet. [dunno] but I am ready and waiting for them
[Cool] Love to watch them and enjoy them so much
[wavey]
by pagarden on April 04, 2006 10:19 PM
they are almost at PA!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! I think I'll put out my feeder this weekend *just in case*
by Thornius on April 05, 2006 06:09 AM
I just hung a SECOND hummer feeder 3 hours ago. No hummers [tears] ......YET! [Big Grin]

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by porter57 on April 05, 2006 06:06 PM
me too thornius
found one at big lots for a buck and said why not
by Thornius on April 06, 2006 01:10 AM
Ha, Haaaa, Porter!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] That's the EXACT same one I bought at my Big Lots here in Nashville. It looks like a red strawberry with a green bottom. HEY EVERYBODY, BIG LOTS HAS HUMMER FEEDERS FOR A DOLLAR!!!

-
 -
by patches1414 on April 06, 2006 01:38 AM
I just bought another hummer feeder at Wal-Mart yesterday for $2.49. I've been wanting to see if our Big Lots has the one for a dollar, but they have been closed since the storms and the road they are on was still closed as of yesterday. [Frown]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by pagarden on April 06, 2006 04:12 AM
they're in pa! they're in pa! YAY!!!
by Triss on April 06, 2006 04:47 AM
That is very exciting!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Starla in GA on April 09, 2006 10:42 AM
I hung up 2 feeders today and within the hour had 2 hummers buzzing about! YAY! The little hummers kept flitting back and forth between the feeders, jasmine, and honey suckle.

They showed up while dd and I were in the hot tub (jasmine and honeysuckle vine all over the lattice surounding my hot tub so we had quite the show) so I wasn't able to get any pictures [Frown] however tomorrow I plan to be prepared!!

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by Thornius on April 09, 2006 12:08 PM
Starla go to hummingbirds.net and submit your report. They are interested in everybodies' first hummingbird of the season.

-
 -
by loz on April 09, 2006 11:43 PM
Looking at the map, isn't it funny how there is a big hole where WV is??? Not a single sighting through there---weird....

I'm right in MD in the panhandle, where the first little dip is.....that's me, and there's none around me yet! [Eek!]
by Thornius on April 10, 2006 12:22 AM
I havent gotten one either yet, loz.

-
 -
by Thornius on April 10, 2006 12:25 AM
Hey, Loz, you can be the FIRST to report a hummingbird in your area! [grin]

-
 -
by loz on April 10, 2006 12:35 AM
I guarantee you that when I see my first one I'll be reporting it!!! I'm keeping a close watch on my feeders! [grin] [thumb]

Hope you see one soon too Thorny! [Smile]
by Starla in GA on April 10, 2006 07:35 AM
Ok, I submitted my sighting too.

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by pagarden on April 10, 2006 07:35 AM
hung mine up and just waiting now.... hey- i've got to go check out big lots here! for a buck i'll put up another feeder in another part of the yard!!! [thumb]
by Starla in GA on April 10, 2006 07:58 AM
Oooh guess I'll make a stop at Big Lots tomorrow when I go out! [thumb]

~*~Starla~*~
 -

by Thornius on April 10, 2006 09:58 AM
They have two port hummer feeders for a Dollar at Big Lots or a 4 port for $1.99.

-
 -
by pagarden on April 10, 2006 08:59 PM
oh starla i check out your link to your backyard visitors and i'm in love with the bluebird! he's beautiful! i wish i'd see them around here!
by Starla in GA on April 10, 2006 10:57 PM
Isn't he GORGEOUS! We are having so much fun watching all of them!

~*~Starla~*~
 -

by Thornius on April 11, 2006 04:55 AM
HEADS UP, CHRISTINA AND PENNY!!! They've reached New York and are headed your way.

-
 -
by Bestofour on April 11, 2006 07:45 AM
We put our feeders out 10 days ago and haven't had a nibble.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by melcon6 on April 11, 2006 08:25 AM
I bought 20 lbs. of sugar yesterday! [shocked]

I'm ready, where are they???? [dunno]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by melcon6 on April 11, 2006 05:14 PM
Thorny, I just had the worst dream! I was taking a walk down the street in my town and I came upon hundreds of hummingbird feeders on display, they were lined up in tiers, like clotheslines about 8 rows like this:

--------------------------------

---------------------------------

and at each EMPTY feeder perched a hummingbird, impatiently waiting for me to feed them!!! [shocked]

I'm filling mine up tonight! [Roll Eyes]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by obywan59 on April 12, 2006 09:29 AM
WooHoo!! I saw my first hummingbird today. I was putting a new belt on my mower and heard a buzzing. It sounded like it was coming from over by my star magnolia tree, but there was nothing there, then I looked at my hummingbird feeder, and there it was!! I saw it again later, or maybe it was a different one. The second was definately a male, but I didn't see the red throat on the first one.

They were a full week earlier than last year!!

-
Terry

by porter57 on April 12, 2006 10:12 AM
havent had a sniff yet
reckon mine are from a later wave
dont really blame em, nothin blooming here but tulips. lots of little bugs out for them here tho. they may be missing a smorgasboard!
by Thornius on April 12, 2006 10:33 AM
Send it in, obywan! Hummingbirds.net

-
 -
by obywan59 on April 12, 2006 12:50 PM
I sent in my report! I don't know if I'll get on the map, but I was really close this year, only a day or two behind some others in the area.

-
Terry

by patches1414 on April 12, 2006 02:10 PM
quote:
They have two port hummer feeders for a Dollar at Big Lots or a 4 port for $1.99.

Thanks Thornius! [thumb] I went to Big Lots the other day to see if I could find the one that I think you posted a little while ago, but they didn't have them because they were closed for several days because of the tornado that hit there. [Frown] They didn't have any damage, but the city was of out of power for a few days. I was told they had lots of things in the back that they haven't had time to put out. I may try to go out there tomorrow. [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by obywan59 on April 13, 2006 01:45 PM
WooHooWooHooWooHoo!!!!, I got on the map. Look at southwest Virginia for the dot labelled 4/11. That's me!!!!!! (or somebody else real, real, real close to me [dunno] ) www.Hummingbirds.net

-
Terry

by loz on April 13, 2006 03:37 PM
Terry, that is so cool!!!! [clappy]

They are starting to close in around me now here in Western MD, it's still funny to me how there is a big hole on the map....I know as soon as I see one I'll be reporting it...I've been watching.........
by Thornius on April 15, 2006 01:28 AM
THE HUMMERS HAVE REACHED CANADA!!! [shocked] [grin] [clappy]

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 15, 2006 02:11 AM
I still don't have any yet..... [Eek!]
...and they are all over Kentucky! [shocked]

For the last few years it's been April 14, 15 and 16 for me.

Gonna go back outside and stare at the feeders! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by loz on April 15, 2006 02:56 AM
None here yet either....although I'm staring at the feeders a lot now too. [Big Grin]
by Thornius on April 15, 2006 05:52 AM
I've been staring at my feeders for 2 hours now. No Hummers yet but I got 50 pictures of other birds.

-
 -
by pagarden on April 15, 2006 08:41 AM
oh man! they are all around me here in NE PA but i haven't seen a single one! i check all day long!
by Triss on April 15, 2006 12:41 PM
I hope you all get them soon. I still have one regular that I have named Fly-A-Way cuz he has one feather that sticks up straight like a fly-a-way hair. He chases all of the other off when he is around but a lil midget Rufus has been coming when Fly-A-Way is not looking as have a few others.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by porter57 on April 16, 2006 12:31 AM
im taking the watched pot routine with my feeder(not) you know how it never boils if you watch it.
i really thought the level went down a bit but maybe that was just wishful thinking. i live in a semi urban area and other then tulips,theres not much in bloom right now to draw em in.
my bleeding hearts just got a bloom today(oh so tiny)so perhaps ill see a bird soon.
by afgreyparrot on April 16, 2006 09:09 PM
FINALLY! ! ! ! ! ! !

They are here! [grin]  -

-
 -
 -
by loz on April 16, 2006 10:41 PM
Oh Cindy, that's so COOL! [grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hummingbird Progress| Next thread: Hummingbird Progress »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: