The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ladybug House

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: lady bugs| Next thread: lakes and trees ??? »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on March 16, 2006 05:09 AM
Hi there, [wavey]

I apologize if the is the wrong forum, but I couldn't seem to find one that fit the topic and I thought this came the closest. Have any of you ever built a Ladybug house?

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Bestofour on March 16, 2006 09:27 AM
My house IS a ladybug house. [Wink] It's full of them months out of the year. If you build them a house, they will come, and you may be sorry.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by patches1414 on March 16, 2006 03:47 PM
I just remember seeing one in someone's garden a few years ago and I thought it was cute. [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by gardenmom32210 on March 16, 2006 07:22 PM
Heres a pic and some info on "Ladybug" houses,hope it helps.

Ladybug House

G-Mom
by Thornius on March 17, 2006 04:07 AM
I tried building a ladybug house a few years ago but it got out of hand. The Ladybugs wanted a jacuzzi, a giant screen plasma HD TV with 1,000 watt home stereo, and imported Italian marble floors. I'm just a simple bird house builder and couldn't afford such expensive accoutrements.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by patches1414 on March 17, 2006 11:04 AM
Thanks G-Mom! That was a good site and had some good information. [clappy]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 17, 2006 11:11 AM
Hey Thornius, I'm sorry to hear you ran into some problems, but I've found some of these renters can be pretty demanding. [Frown] Actually, I'm trying to attract Ladybugs that are looking for economy housing and I can even offer running water when it rains. [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by BeckyB on March 17, 2006 11:14 PM
I had never heard of a ladybug house or butterfly house, but that is sooo cool!
Would they have to fixed to the outside of the house, or could I put one on a tree or a pole like a bird feeder post?
I can't attatch anything to the outside of my house but can have post and such as long as they aren't permanent.

-
 -
"As long as there are tests,
there will be prayer in public schools"
- Maxine
by patches1414 on March 18, 2006 04:18 AM
Becky, I put my butterfly house on a Shepherd's hook out near my Butterfly bush and they really use it. You can find them almost anywhere. I think I got this one at Walgreen's a few years ago and I bought another one at Big Lots. So, I would probably do the same thing if I build a Ladybug house, but I think I will probably use a shorter Shepherd's hook.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by kyjoy on March 31, 2006 08:05 AM
I have both butterfly houses and ladybug houses. I am thinking of putting up a bat house this year as they eat lots of insects.

A word of caution. Several years ago I didn't have ladybugs so I ordered some. It was great until winter set in and they moved indoors. I don't how they got in, but they did. I didn't have the heart of kill them, so all winter long I was constantly catching them, raising the window, and putting them outdoors. I finally won the battle, but it was a very tedious one.
by loz on March 31, 2006 08:14 AM
Oh man, I never ever want a ladybug house....they get in so bad here in the fall!!!! I mean hundreds of them through a few week period.....It's a war that I win eventually but I hate the thought of it coming every year.

I wouldn't mind a butterfly house though, that's neat! [thumb]
by Bestofour on March 31, 2006 08:34 AM
They're smarter than you think and they've got you guys fooled. You guys don't win the ladybug war. They decide it's time to move out. I used to think they were cute and maybe the original still are - not sure about that. But these newcomers are aggressive and kind of sting.  -

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by loz on March 31, 2006 09:31 AM
Yeh, I don't like 'em...they bite! [Razz] Literally. [Roll Eyes]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: lady bugs| Next thread: lakes and trees ??? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: