The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

nests....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Nepethenes| Next thread: Networked Sprinkler Controllers »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on March 07, 2006 07:57 AM
last year we had 3 bird nests (2 robins and 1 house wren) and the kids and i LOVED checking up on them daily (1 robin nest was low enough i could use a mirror and check on the babies while mom was out looking for food) and were so heartbroken when they grew up and flew off. anyhow- i am hoping to attract more this year. the kids made 2 more houses over winter and i have to hang them soon. what kinds of nests have you all found in your yards? how did you attract them?
by Thornius on March 07, 2006 08:05 AM
I have House Sparrows, Eastern Kingbirds, American Robins, and Northern Mockingbirds nesting in my yard. My son works as a Technician for DirecTV and brings me the small empty wood and plastic cable spools that he has and I convert them into birdhouses (He also brings me the old outdated 18 inch satellite dishes that he replaces to turn into parabolic microphones for bird song recording). I am doing that for the first time this year. Hopefully I will encourage Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmouses, Carolina Wrens, and/or House Wrens to nest in these improvised nest boxes. The size and shape are perfect for any and all of the above species. I also use an old suet cage to hold dryer lint and hair for the birds to take for their nest building.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by MissJamie on March 08, 2006 03:01 PM
I've been wondering this for awhile and maybe you can help thorny but is it ok to check on the baby birdies when they are inside the birdhouse? I have one that opens from the side and I'd like to peep inside at the babies while the parents are away but don't want to scare them or get the parents mad at me...will the parents move the babies if they know that a human was around their babies?

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Thornius on March 08, 2006 03:42 PM
They shouldn't. As a matter of fact many Eastern Bluebirds are banded as flightless juveniles whilst inside the nest box. Of course you want to keep your viewing to a minimum but we frequently check our nest boxes to make sure all is well.

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by pagarden on March 08, 2006 09:39 PM
i didn't open the house with the wrens in it either. we'd just watch the parents come and go and when they left we'd go and peek in the hole.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Nepethenes| Next thread: Networked Sprinkler Controllers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: