The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Oh no!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Oh no!!| Next thread: Oh no!!! Another sickly plant! »
Back to Thread index
by Cassalo on April 19, 2006 01:25 AM
About a week and a half ago I got four Gerbera Daisy plants and put them in two troughs. They are living inside because it is still too cold outside. I have them right under the big glass door so they get sunlight, and I put rocks in the bottom of the throughs to help with drainage. But something is very wrong with them... In the past two days, the flowers are dying one by one. I read about them and heard that they are susceptible to crown rot, so I'm worried it might be that, but they seem to be dying from the tops down. The flower on top wilts, then the stem begins to shrivel up slowly from the top down. They actually remind me a little of the wicked witches feet under the house in the Wizard of Oz... There have also been some dead leaves which I have been removing as I see them. These guys were so healthy when I brought them home! I hope I haven't killed them. If anyone has any advice on what this is, or what I can do about it, please let me know! Thank you!

Cassy
by obywan59 on April 19, 2006 01:53 AM
How much have you been watering them? Could they be too wet?

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Cassalo on April 19, 2006 02:10 AM
It is possible. I sprained my foot this weekend, and since I was immobile, I let my boyfriend water them. He's always telling me that I don't water them enough(because I only water them every 2 or 3 days) even though he has no plant expirience. They needed to be watered, but he over watered them (probably thinking they were thirsty because I deprive them). I haven't watered since, and I "stirred" the soil letting some air in so it can dry out a bit and to make it less compact since I heard thats what causes crown rot. Could crown rot have happened so quickly? I'm so nervous for my little guys!
by Buglady on April 21, 2006 11:01 AM
I would also check for spider mites.. they LOVE Gerbers... and cause browning and leaves to curl.

have a photo of the plant? that would help.

Did you possibly over fertilize them? that can burn the roots and end up with symptoms like you described.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Longy on April 21, 2006 11:11 AM
If there are no drainage holes in the troughs, the plants will be drowning/rotting in stagnant water.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Cassalo on April 21, 2006 11:36 AM
They have been doing a little better since the soil has dried up some. Another flower was wilted this morning, but the remaining 5 (there were 16 originally) seem pretty strong. I'm not sure if I over fertilized. I used Miracle Grow potting mix, and I didn't add anything extra to it. Could that have too much fertilizer for these guys? As for drainage, I thought that the rocks at the bottom were enough, but I'm going to add drainage holes in the morning. I'll also try to get a picture of them up here. Thank you all so much for your help!
by Cassalo on April 24, 2006 04:57 PM
I thought they were doing better, but the last flower died this morning. They have drainage holes now, but I'm not sure what else I can do to help. I did notice some buds coming up from the base of 3 of the plants. One in particular looks pretty large. I'm hoping that they start to come up. The plants themselves look alright, There just aren't any flowers left [Frown] Poor little guys! Still working on the pictures, but we just moved in a few weeks ago, and my camera got misplaced in the clutter... hopefully I'll get a pic up soon. As of right now they are just four little green bushes! Thanks again!

Cassy

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oh no!!| Next thread: Oh no!!! Another sickly plant! »
Back to Thread index