The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Regarding the posting of photos...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Regal Visitor| Next thread: regarding tomatoe plants »
Back to Thread index
by Bill on February 11, 2006 04:25 AM
Please note section IV of our user agreement regarding the posting of photographs on the forum:

quote:
IV. Photos which are stored on another server may be posted here provided that you are the legal owner.

Photos must be sized at 640x480 pixels or smaller.

Please use common sense with regard to the number of photos you post in a single topic. (3-4 max. if they are full size)
* The sizing of the photo is important because large photos tend to make the page look distorted and uneven. Large photos also make the page load very slowly for our members who are limited to dial-up internet access!

* Please limit the number of full size (640x480) to 3 or 4 maximum per page. Smaller photos will allow you to post over that number per page. Again, this is for the benefit our members who are limited to dial-up internet access!

* DO NOT POST photos that do not belong to you, unless you have proof of the photo owners permission. Photographs are copyrighted, whether they are registered or not. I have received a lot of flack in the past when our members have posted these photographers property. I do not like getting yelled at! [Frown]
If you don't own the rights to a photo, you may not post it here! These photos will be promptly removed!

Thank you for your cooperation.

-
by Oui on February 11, 2006 08:14 AM
Actually if the picture is on the internet it is consider public...And can be used by anyone unless they are using it to make money or take credit for it themself.

But if a person posts an artists picture without permission it is the posters fault and the artist would have to go after the member responsible not YOU or this forum..

There is a program you can get put on this forum that screens pictures for copyrights..

I mean there are a lot of people putting messages on here how are you going to keep track of everyone???
by Oui on February 11, 2006 08:16 AM
Not to justify someone not following your rules...
by Bill on February 11, 2006 08:24 AM
quote:
Actually if the picture is on the internet it is consider public...And can be used by anyone unless they are using it to make money or take credit for it themself.
I beg to differ... Photographs are considered "intellectual property" and ARE copyright protected by federal law. No one has the right to use any of my photos or writings without my expressed permission!
ASK YOUR ATTORNEY! [Frown]

-
by Bill on February 11, 2006 08:26 AM
Better yet... ask one of MY attorneys... I have three!

-
by Oui on February 11, 2006 08:50 AM
Did someone use your pictures????

You would be surprised what some people will do..There was a man selling "original photographs" from WWI and WWII on the internet for $30 each and up...turns out he was getting the photos fro the National archive..

I had a friend that John Kerry tried to sue because he had a picture of John Kerry with Jane Fonda...Also one of John Kerry burning an American flag...It was decided in court that the pictures were public domain and the case was thrown out.

You are right it is NOT right for someone to use other peoples photos...But unfortunately it does happen...
by Bill on February 11, 2006 09:01 AM
[Frown]

-
by Bill on February 11, 2006 10:16 AM
Oui has been poofed!  -
Does anyone else want to dispute my right to the ownership of MY work? (or ANY other artist to THEIR work?)
I've got a chip on my shoulder... go ahead and TRY to knock it off! I DARE you! [Mad]
If you can't play by the rules or you don't know the difference between right and wrong, please LEAVE!

-
by MissJamie on February 11, 2006 12:46 PM
quote:
Does anyone else want to dispute my right to the ownership of MY work?
nope not me! but I know I want to thank you VERY much for making this forum for us and keeping scum out of it [Frown] [Mad] [Razz] (that's all to the scum [Big Grin] ) I understand COMPLETELY what you're saying [Smile] I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have this forum to come to everyday thanks bill [kissies] [thumb]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Bill on February 11, 2006 12:55 PM
Thank you, Miss Jamie. I needed that! [kissies]

-
by Thornius on February 11, 2006 01:06 PM
Sorry for the trouble. [tears]

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by ChristinaC on February 11, 2006 01:56 PM
Thornius...I really don't think you caused any trouble. I think Bill will agree me. BTW..that pic of the wren is just gorgeous...outstanding!!

-
 -
by Cricket on February 11, 2006 02:38 PM
Thanks for posting a reminder that photos are intellectual property, Bill. I, for one, am happy for others to view my photos on this forum but in no way does publishing the photos anywhere on the internet imply consent for others to use them for ANY purpose without my expressed permission.
by MissJamie on February 12, 2006 05:46 AM
you're very welcome bill [Smile]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
by Oui on March 27, 2006 02:27 AM
Really I am not scum and you all know that. Not nice.

It is well known that Some people steal photographs off the internet.. Which is sad, but true.

To protect your photographs completely there are several internet sites that will copyright them for you for a small fee. Some of these copyright programs actually block your photos from being lifted. Bill it might be useful and nice of you to add such a blocking program to this forum. So that others can enjoy the photos but not take them.

There are so many Exquisite photos on this forum is would be prudent for some of you to copyright your stuff. Make calendars or books of the pictres.
by melcon6 on March 27, 2006 02:32 AM
If this site doesn't suit you and you have so many criticisms of it , then why on earth do you join back up? [dunno] [nutz] [lala] [lala] [lala] [lala]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by melcon6 on March 27, 2006 02:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Oui:
Really I am not scum and you all know that. Not nice.

It is well known that Some people steal photographs off the internet.. Which is sad, but true.

To protect your photographs completely there are several internet sites that will copyright them for you for a small fee. Some of these copyright programs actually block your photos from being lifted. Bill it might be useful and nice of you to add such a blocking program to this forum. So that others can enjoy the photos but not take them.

There are so many Exquisite photos on this forum is would be prudent for some of you to copyright your stuff. Make calendars or books of the pictres.

I have a great idea, you could build your own forum from the ground up and you could add all the features that you want and it could be free and you could pay for everything out of your own pocket!

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Patty S on March 27, 2006 02:46 AM
Oui, how does a person go about copyrighting their photos? [dunno]

-
 -
by loz on March 27, 2006 02:50 AM
She can't answer you Patty...she's stuck in limbo world without posting or PM privileges. [thumb]

I imagine when Bill comes back he'll poof her away again.
by Patty S on March 27, 2006 02:54 AM
Thanks, Laura

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on March 27, 2006 02:57 AM
It would seem to me, that if anyone here is worried about their photos being copied, that they would go about having them copyrighted "somewhere" - not necessarily here because that is not what these forums are about - before posting them here.

For the most part... we post our pictures here to share our joy in gardening, etc. Again... if I were worried that someone might get credit for one of my photos, I would take care of it before posting for sure! Most of us aren't worried about people STEALING our pictures - it's not like we are professional photographers after all - just sharing and caring for each other!!!

Most people come here because they enjoy the comraderie that we all have in our love of gardening and learning. If that doesn't suit one, than that person is best going somewhere else, as Mel has correctly suggested!!!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by MissJamie on March 27, 2006 04:10 AM
I think we should allow cindy to poof her [Smile] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Amigatec on March 27, 2006 05:44 AM
As I posted on an earlier topic copyrights ARE a big deal.

Just because a photo is posted on the Internet doesn't mean it is public domain, if I was posting copyrighted material the first thing I would do is remove the copyright.

I know I had copyrighted material taken from me and was never given credit for my work.

Also it would not be the poster that got sued, it would be Bill.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Oui on March 31, 2006 09:08 PM
Suggestion verses this....It is better to just post the link to the pictures you want to share from other sites. At least I think that is acceptable. Is it?

http://www.legalzoom.com/index2.html?sRefer=

The above site helps you copyright your stuff..Still even with the copyright there are people out there that will take photos...
by Bill on March 31, 2006 09:26 PM
After demanding that we remove you and then sending me 30 threatening letters, I have to wonder what you are doing back here?

You can't threaten me and possibly think you can come back and take advantage of the free services I offer here! [Frown]

I removed you again!

-
by SpringFever on March 31, 2006 09:57 PM
Incredible....
Good for you Bill.. You did the right thing!
You do a great job of keeping this site clean and I really appreciate it [clappy]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Regal Visitor| Next thread: regarding tomatoe plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: