The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pileated Woodpecker..BIG BOY

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Oui on December 05, 2005 09:32 PM
My first picture contribution to this site. <SMILE>

-
by Thornius on December 05, 2005 11:33 PM
You did it Oui! And an excellent first contributio to the site it is! Woodpeckers are the group of birds I know best and am most interested in, followed by Warblers. That is a male Pileated Woodpecker. You can tell by his red crest. Good job!

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Oui on December 06, 2005 09:31 PM
I have never seen a female Pileated Woodpecker. At least I don't think I have. That Male is BIG I mean the size of a large raven.

Glad you like him.
by comfrey on December 07, 2005 12:18 PM
I love these and a great picture also, I have a double window behind my PC and I open the blinds and watch the birds during the day while at the computer, I have often seen these but never knew the name before, they are one of my favorites to watch.

-
 -
by MissJamie on December 08, 2005 01:30 AM
wow! that thing is HUGE! thanks for sharing :-)

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by loz on December 08, 2005 12:41 PM
Great picture...I had 3 woodpeckers at my suet feeder today....2 of them were different types....and darn it as I was sneaking down with my camera I accidently kicked a plantpot and startled the one I was trying to photograph...Oh well there's always next time...fascinating watching them. [Smile]
by Oui on January 07, 2006 11:55 PM
Okay these pictures are amazing...There were 3 Pileated Woodpeckers on one tree. Could only fit 2 in the first shot. Then got the second.
 -

-

Range: Permanent Residents throughout the South West.

Habitat: Mature woods riverbottom hardwoods. Mature pine stands, cypress swamps. Most often choose dead trees for nests. They will excavate a new nest cavity every year.

Food and attracting Pileated Woodpeckers to your yard: Favorite food is Carpenter Ants. They also eat other wood boring insects. They sometimes come to feeders for sunflower seeds, cracked corn, suet mixes with cornmeal and nuts.

Plants that can attract Pileated Woodpeckers: Wild Grapes, Dogwood, Poison Ivy, Sour Gum, Cherries, Sumac, Acorns, and Beechnuts.
by Thornius on January 08, 2006 02:49 AM
I once saw THREE Pileated clustered together on the base of a tree trunk a hillside. I did not have a camera then and was not a bird photographer at the time, but that was one of the experiences that eventually led to me becoming a photographer.

-
 -
by Oui on January 09, 2006 12:32 AM
I didn't know they hung out together like that. I still have not seen a female Pileated woodpecker.
Maybe someday <sigh>....
by comfrey on January 09, 2006 10:25 AM
Very nice picture Oui!!! I didn't know that they would hang out together like that either. I am not really into birds, But do pay attention when I spot one of these, they are so interesting to watch. My bird watching is limited to hummingbirds and keeping feeders for them and water for birds, and I also have a bluebird box, which usually becomes a home for at least one bluebird hatching and then some other type bird will nest in it later and hatch babies.

-
 -
by Oui on January 09, 2006 10:27 PM
Comfrey; I think, they are the coolest birds. Although I do like all birds. Pileated Woodpeckers facinate me because they are so big and because I have never seen a female.
by comfrey on January 10, 2006 04:03 AM
I don't think I have seen a female either, but of course the males are more noticeable with all of the color.

-
 -
by Oui on January 10, 2006 10:34 PM
The only difference between the markings of a Female verses a Male is.... the Males have red mustaches, foreheads and crowns with a little more white on his face...the females have black mustaches and foreheads with a red crown.

Here is a link to a picture of a Female.

http://www.naturalhistory.bc.ca/VNHS/Photography/Competition%201999.htm

Hummm maybe my pileated woodpeckers are all females...I do not see any red mustaches on these..No wait the Female has black around her eye and the male has white around his eye..So mine are males..I think..

Where is the bird man when you need him????!!!!
by Thornius on January 11, 2006 02:27 AM
The Bird Man was pecked to death by a flock of FEMALE Pileated Woodpeckers.

-
 -
by Thornius on January 11, 2006 02:34 AM
The male Pileated Has a red forehead and a long, thin red patch below the eye, starting at the point the bill attachs to the head and running two thirds the length of the head. The female has a light gray or speckled forehead and no red patch. It appears that the birds in your photographs ARE females. You haven't seen the MALES yet. You see the females all the time. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Thornius on January 11, 2006 02:49 AM
You might want to buy a good field guide. The best out there currently, and the one I use and recommend is Sibley's Birds of North America. It is a brand new guide and is considered by most of us to be the BEST EVER MADE!!!!
Here are pictures showing the difference between Male and Female Pileated Woodpeckers. I used Google Image Search.

Pileated Woodpecker (Male)
 -

Pileated Woodpecker (Female)
 -

-
 -
by comfrey on January 11, 2006 04:06 AM
Oh wow Thanks Thornius...Then in fact I proable have seen a female just didn't realize the difference. And the info on the bird book is also helpful...I am going to look into getting one, I still have money for two more books left from Xmas.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 11, 2006 04:20 AM
I did a search at amazon...and here is what I found:

The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America & The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America...Is this the book you are talking about...I can get both for $27.14 this is free shipping also.

-
 -
by Thornius on January 11, 2006 04:53 AM
That's the book! I use the Eastern one since I am in Tennessee. Being in Arkansas you could use BOTH.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 11, 2006 12:45 PM
Thanks I ordered both of them....I may become a bird person yet. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Thornius on January 11, 2006 02:10 PM
Now, Comfrey, you need binoculars and a fairly good digital camera. Walmart has some Tasco binoculars in the sporting goods section. They have some 7x35 OR 12x25 FOR AROUND $20.00. Although they are dirt cheap, they are quite good especially to learn with. I started out with some Tascos 18 years ago. My first pair lasted 4 years of daily use. As for Digital cameras, get the highest Megapixel and optical zoom you can afford. You want at least 4 megapixel. I use an Olympus D-580 Zoom camera with 4.2 Megapixel and 3X optical zoom. I just tried a Kodak 5.2 Megapixel with 10X optical zoom at Walmart for $298.97! I think I'll save up and get that one next. Rechargeable batteries are best. I got a Ray-O-Vac 15-minute recgargeable battery set that comes with 2 AA batteries and a recharger for about $24.00 at Walmart. The batteries can be recharged at least 1000 times and one recharge lasts for 2-3 days in my camera. When they go dead I plug them into my recharger and 15 minutes later I'm ready to go again.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 11, 2006 08:43 PM
I already have 10 x 50 binoculars, And I do need a newer digital camera, but that will have to wait a few months...Maybe for my birthday. I bought a battery charger with 2 extra sets of rechargeable batteries when I got my camera and always carry extra charged batteries. I also have an Olympus camera, but it is only 3.? megapixel with zoom.

-
 -
by Oui on January 11, 2006 10:40 PM
Coolness I have seen a female pileated woodpecker.
You weren't pecked to death by a flock of female pileted woodpeckers...<<silly>>

Well you might be in danger of an attack by pileated woodpeckers if you had carpenter ants on your head...
by Oui on January 11, 2006 10:49 PM
I have a field guide. 2 of them. Ok I see that mine are females. I thought it was weird that the males were hanging together...See the females hang together in groups and the males don't...hummmmm
by comfrey on January 11, 2006 11:41 PM
I had to go back and look the pictures again also and I can see that the three on the tree are indeed female...Wow I guess we learned something on this one Oui. Thank You Thornius!

-
 -
by Oui on January 12, 2006 09:44 PM
I guess the title of my topic should be "Pileated Woodpecker Big Girl" Then huh? Or Big Momma???

<smile>

I just assumed that they were boys because they are so colorful...

Thanks for setting me straight on that Thornius..
by Thornius on January 13, 2006 02:55 AM
Male birds are USUALLY more colorful than the females. In some cases like Blue Jays or Wrens, the sexes are identical. Both sexes of the Pileated Woodpecker are colorful, the males just more so.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 13, 2006 08:09 AM
That is why I had thought I had never seen a female...I just [Embarrassed] assumed that the females would not have any color like the males....I almost bought a new camera today, but decided I should wait for alittle while longer.

-
 -
by Oui on January 13, 2006 07:49 PM
I have a Kodak EasyShare Z740 with 10X zoom. If you decide on this, buy the whole thing right away. Meaning the printer/charger dock and camera. The printer dock has the charger in in..or you can buy a charger separate. I bought mine at HH Gregg. I had shopped around and found that HH Gregg had the price on this camera $30 cheaper then best buy and radio shack..

HH Gregg has the lowest prices in town on just about everything..

Make sure you ask about the charger...When/if you do decide which camera to get.
by Oui on January 13, 2006 07:51 PM
Oh and HH Gregg has the most affordable additional warranties too.
by Marian on January 18, 2006 10:30 AM
Great pictures ! I managed to get one , but it is too far away to see well . They are so elusive . We have lots of them around here . I really enjoy their call . Sice we have so many trees that are suffering from the beetles and borers the woodpeckers have plenty of food !

-
by Marian on January 18, 2006 10:44 AM
Ha ! I missed the second page in this thread ! So I opened a 3rd ! ( I wish I had spell-checked my post ! That should be 'since' not 'sice' ...lol )

I have three field guides : a 1947 one by Roger Tory Peterson of Eastern and Water birds , a National Geographic Society "Birds Of North America " and a 2 book set of The Audubon Society ... the Eastern and The Western Region books . They are all well-used !

-
by Oui on January 18, 2006 02:38 PM
Marian: I just bought my field guide. When I signed up for this forum I decided I need to learn more about birds...The learning part has been glorious so far...I cannot imagine it ever getting boring...I have the National Geographic one too...and One called All About Alabama Birds..
by Oui on January 25, 2006 09:30 PM
Check this out>>>>>

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/7/412.html

I found these pictures of a MALE Pileated woodpecker in the Desktop Wallpaper Forum. Bill aka Member #1 put them up.
by comfrey on February 25, 2006 10:18 AM
I was outside and heard a strange bird sound so looked around until I spotted who was making the the sound...Yes it was Pileated woodpeaker, I didn't realize how much noise they could make.

-
 -
by Thornius on February 25, 2006 10:32 AM
They are very distinctive, a , "Ki-ki-ki-ki-ki!". It's almost Peacock-like.

-
 -
by Bestofour on March 01, 2006 10:13 AM
I saw a male yesterday. I walked into the kitchen after my shower yesterday, looked out the window and saw something on a thin, spindly branch of a tree, swaying in the breeze. At first I thought it was a hawk, that's how big this sucker is. Then I saw his red head. I went outside wrapped in nothing but a towel to get a picture but he flew away. He flies very low and slow. My sister said there's probably a mate nearby. Guess we'll have babies soon.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Thornius on March 01, 2006 11:11 AM
They do have a slow, roller-coaster-like flight with heavy, rowing wingbeats. They are TERRIFIED of humans wrapped in nothing but a towel. Whenever we go in the woods looking for Pileateds we make sure that everyone in the party is FULLY clothed. Anyone wrapped only in a towel is not allowed to go with the party.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 01, 2006 11:49 AM
You are so funny Thornius [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Bestofour on March 02, 2006 06:23 AM
I think I scared the neighbors too.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 02, 2006 10:44 AM
I was amazed today when I was looking at a fish and game book...State fishing regulations...The center incert was about Pileated & Ivory Billed Woodpecker's, It showed them side by side. Its amazing, because at first glance you would say they are the same bird, but then if you look closer you see the differences...So sitings of the Ivory Bill woodpecker could be mistaken for the Pileated Woodpecker unless you know what you are looking for. Here is a good place to see and hear (Ivory Bill) what they look like and also the difference between the two.

-
 -
by Thornius on March 02, 2006 12:37 PM
The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker is th biggest news in decades in the Birding world. The reported sighting is about 200 miles West of me near the Tennessee/Arkansas border. That would make it about the same distance EAST of you, Comfrey. I would love to see the Ivory-Billed, as woodpeckers are my specialty, but I am content to leave them undisturbed until their numbers can be increased.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 02, 2006 01:34 PM
Yes I would love to see one also, I suppose if a person just floated the rivers they might see one someday...I'm not to fond of being in a boat on water, esp water that is over my head!!!

-
 -
by Thornius on March 02, 2006 02:35 PM
I can swim like a......erm......WHALE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I feel more comfortable in the water than on land.

-
 -
by loz on March 02, 2006 11:08 PM
quote:
The Ivory-Billed Woodpecker is th biggest news in decades in the Birding world. The reported sighting is about 200 miles West of me near the Tennessee/Arkansas border.
I saw a TV show about a sighting of one of them...... [thumb]
by Bestofour on March 13, 2006 02:57 AM
I've seen my woodpecker again (when I had on more than a towel.) He comes right up to the house. I'm gonna check out his bill.

-
 -
by seeme on March 22, 2006 12:36 AM
that is funny!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: