The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My new pet

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My new perennial bed| Next thread: My New Treasures! »
Back to Thread index
by melcon6 on September 14, 2005 05:11 PM
I found this little guy on my parsley plant and quickly looked him up because I remembered reading about one caterpillar that only feeds on parsley, sometimes called the parsley caterpillar it is the black swallowtail ! I dug up the whole plant and made a terrerium (sp.) for it and we are waiting for him (her?) to form a chrysalis.

-

-

and since you all know I'm fascinated by poop
 -

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Dixie Angel on September 14, 2005 08:08 PM
Beautiful caterpillar, Mel! Can't say much for his/her droppings, though... [Big Grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 14, 2005 08:46 PM
I'll wait for the butterfly lol. eeeeeew creepy crawlies lol.
by RugbyHukr on September 14, 2005 10:22 PM
good for you, sharing your crops.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by afgreyparrot on September 14, 2005 10:48 PM
Oh, that is so weird that a freaky thing like that turns into a butterfly!

quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [lala]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Corgi17 on September 15, 2005 03:39 AM
Whoa, that is too cool, Mel! Be sure and post a picture of the beauty it turns into [Smile]

@>>>>>
 -
 -
Kipper's Corgi Hysteria
by melcon6 on September 15, 2005 07:12 AM
I will. First I'll take pics when it forms a chrysalis. Then I've got to put it in my garage for the winter until the weather starts to warm up again , it won't "hatch" until April or May! [shocked]

-
 -

by catlover on September 15, 2005 07:32 AM
How exciting Melcon! That is a great picture of him/her/it!!!

Do me a favor....when you come back to report...please put the updates in this thread...want to keep it all together. If for sommmmmme reason it happens to make it to archive let either Bill or I know and we will pull it back up for you.!!! [thumb] Thank you!!!!

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on September 15, 2005 07:44 AM
Dumb question here......

quote:
Then I've got to put it in my garage for the winter until the weather starts to warm up again , it won't "hatch" until April or May!
The kids in the elementary classes,
always have searches for Monarch Butterfly
Catapillars, when the new kiddies start
kindergarden.... *like right now~September*
They bring them in, and wait for the crystalist
to form, and then hatch and and free them outside,
they do it, like in October/November I thought....

Does that kind of catapillar not come out
until spring or warm weather?????????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on September 15, 2005 07:47 AM
GREAT PICTURES BY THE WAY MEL!!! [thumb] [Cool] [clappy] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by melcon6 on September 15, 2005 06:14 PM
I don't believe that is a dumb question at all !From what I've read, the Black Swallowtail in New England can have two cycles a summer and the third one will overwinter as a chrysalis because of the extreme weather. If the kindergarten (or 1st and 3rd graders, where the caterpillar is right now) keeps the chrysalis warm and hatches it in Oct or November the poor thing will die from freezing temps or starvation as not much is blooming anymore.........so as soon as this guy forms his chrysalis at the kids school, I'll be bringing it back here to overwinter in my garage and I'll have to be really patient.

I talked to my sister last night and she took a pic of a beautiful blue butterfly in my yard in Aug, We believe it is the mother !

Catlover, I will post in here any follow-up, but I will probably have to ask you guys to find it , I can never find anything.

-
 -

by weezie13 on September 15, 2005 08:17 PM
quote:
where the caterpillar is right now) keeps the chrysalis warm and hatches it in Oct or November the poor thing will die from freezing temps or starvation as not much is blooming anymore.........
I was thinking they the Monarch's migrated...
don't they all go down towards Mexico???

I will have to look up info on that....

They've *those classes in school* have done that
like forever..
I'd hate to find out, that they've been killing
them every year...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by suzydaze on September 16, 2005 12:41 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hummm.... interesting

I don't care for worms myself, or poop [Big Grin]

is there a web site that post worm pic's or have you studied worm? I have tons of woolyworms in my yard right now but have no idea what they will turn into. I hate stepping on one....that's nastier than the poop [Razz]

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by melcon6 on September 16, 2005 02:30 AM
It looks like it's forming the chrysalis, I just came from the school and did get a pic but not time to do it now, I went to the school because my 9y/o called and she hurt her foot in gym, so now we're off to the doctors for some x-rays and a lot of sittin around, be back later, gotta go get my book.........................I do know that an old wives tale is "lots of wooly caterpillars, hard winter" . Last year we had way more than this year so I'm hoping for a milder winter...

-
 -

by melcon6 on September 18, 2005 06:33 AM
Well, the foot is fine, just a sprain. I love how the school secretary can make you feel like crap until you take your kid to the dr. even though you know there's nothing wrong .......

Anyway, here's the caterpillar on Thursday and he had stopped eating and just hung out like this all day  -

and the kids came home on Friday and said it's a chrysalis now [thumb] My son says he looks like a brown leaf.

-
 -

by Triss on September 18, 2005 07:08 AM
Mel... that is too cool. I am wondering if I should keep any catterpillars I find. There have been a couple around and it would be fun to overwinter them if need be.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by melcon6 on September 18, 2005 07:25 AM
Yes you should definitely! I would make sure you know what you've got so you know what to expect. The internet is a good resource, and I've got two butterfly/moth books that I'm always running to look up things. I got them at this place in MA, called the butterfly place, you go into this gigantic solarium and they've got hundreds of butterflies and plants in it and you can walk around with the butterflies flying all over you. It's so cool!

-
 -

by Triss on September 18, 2005 07:42 AM
I went out to look in the garden and did not see a thing. I know we get Monarch's here so I assume we get their catterpillars. Who knows. If I do find one in my digging this week, I will save it and look it all up.

-
 -
by Karrie on September 18, 2005 10:15 PM
The old wives tale around here is if the wolly cataerpillars are all black then harsh winter if they are brown then mild, if they are black and then brown striped it indicates a large storm or blizzard type conditions in the middle of a mild winter.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Triss on September 21, 2005 01:38 AM
Well darn, I just saw one of those the other day and it was all brown and a pale brown at that.

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 21, 2005 01:59 AM
I saw one of each..
What does that mean??? [perplexed] [scaredy] [shocked] [tears] [Roll Eyes]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Triss on September 21, 2005 02:05 AM
I vote for a ton of SNOW!!!!!

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 21, 2005 03:38 AM
Booooooooo~Hisssssssssssss!!! [Razz] [Frown] [Razz] [tears] [scaredy] [tears]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Triss on September 21, 2005 03:49 AM
Sorry Weezie, I am a snow baby.

-
 -
by Karrie on September 21, 2005 08:26 AM
Same here Triss, I love it hte more the merrier!

Weezie I have always wondered that myself. I guess you just take an average of what you see the most of.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by melcon6 on September 23, 2005 02:42 AM
Here's the chrysalis.....

-

-

-
 -

by Pingu on September 25, 2005 12:24 PM
Oh, wow! Simply Amazing! I could sit here and watch those pics all day [Smile]
by Jiffymouse on September 26, 2005 01:09 AM
thanks mel, we can't wait to see the finished "product"!
by murphyette on September 26, 2005 01:10 AM
Very cool...how long until a butterfly?

Jody
by afgreyparrot on September 27, 2005 08:39 PM
That is awesome!

-

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Winter Rosebudd on September 29, 2005 07:58 AM
Thats a really cute caterpiller! You are a beautiful person to give him a luxery home as well. [grin] I hope he eats better soon!

I've been wooshing this one daddy long legs out of my shower for the last 2 weeks...cause I can't kill him...he just comes back every morning! [Big Grin] Its become a joke at this point..wher'd ya say ya got that terrarium? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [flower]

-
by melcon6 on September 30, 2005 01:05 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I'm not that nice, the daddy longlegs would have been down the toilet by now! The terrarium is just a small storage tote, I'm sure you could make one for your "pet" ! [nutz] [Big Grin]

-
 -

by pagarden on April 15, 2006 08:37 AM
cool! so we both have cocoons! [Smile] is you daughter just thrilled about the new guy? my kids (8 yr & 5 yr) are THRILLED! we check on it almost eveyr day! [Smile] i can't wait to see it change into a butterfly!
by melcon6 on April 15, 2006 10:00 AM
[Big Grin] My kids are 9 and 6, and yes, they are thrilled and we ran out to the garage right after I told them about YOUR post! [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My new perennial bed| Next thread: My New Treasures! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: