The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

sick kentia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by installman on April 15, 2006 04:36 PM
Hi there every one. I need help with one of my kentia palm, Its about two years old and about 15ft high the base of the trunk is 15-20inch. In the last three weeks iv noticed the branches drooping and dieing ,on close inspection i noticed sawdust and verry small holes in the trunk mainly below the branch fiber. Does any one know what type of bug this may be and what is needed to kill it I have 14 more palms and they seem to ok so far
by Longy on April 15, 2006 09:46 PM
Sounds like a borer or possibly a weevil. Try pushing a piece of wire into the holes to kill the pest if you can safely reach it. They tend to attack stressed or unhealthy trees. Is this one a bit crook?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Buglady on April 17, 2006 09:10 AM
Without seeing I would guess ambrosia beetles. Could be Xylosandrus sp. or xyloborus sp.
They are not easy to control. Also many of these beetles are associated with pathogenic fungi that are fatal to the host plant.

I have an article on Asian ambrosia beetles that i could email you if you are interested.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: