The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jerked pork chops

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Jelly booboo| Next thread: Jerusalem Cherry »
Back to Thread index
by obywan59 on October 27, 2005 01:36 PM
By request of Sybil.

Jerked Pork Chops

1/2 c. whole allspice berries HEAPING (so they're falling off)
1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
6-8 garlic cloves
2-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
4-6 Habanero peppers
1 Tbsp. ground thyme or 2 Tbsp. leaves
2 bunches scallions
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 ripe mango

Blend in food processor or blender till smooth. Spread over both sides of pork chops and marinade in the refrigerator for 2 days. Grill.

Notes:
The original recipe called for a level 1/2 c. ground allspice and I modified it by increasing the allspice and using it whole, and by adding the ginger and mango.

This is enough marinade for 8 butterflied pork chops if you slather it on, but it would do more if you spread it out a bit more. It goes farther with regular bone-in pork chops.

Last year I left all the seeds in the habaneros because the mango diluted the heat a bit too much for my taste. Still, some people may want to try it that way (or even use the lower amount of peppers) as some of us had to stop and take a breather halfway through our second pork chop it was so hot.

Some people recommend scraping the marinade off before grilling, but I would never think of such a thing!

This has become a yearly tradition and the consensus is that this is the best dish I make. Wolfgang Puck's brined turkey with pan gravy coming in second.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by ChristinaC on October 28, 2005 07:55 PM
I always use lime juice in my marinade...it wakes up all the flavors. I use it for chops, chicken, shrimp and veggies. Yummy, yummy!! And Terry...I'm with you...leave the seeds in...wouldn't be the same without the extra heat.
Christina

-
 -
by obywan59 on October 29, 2005 03:26 PM
I think I'll try that this time. I don't know why I never thought of it. Thanks, Christina!

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by sybil on October 29, 2005 11:26 PM
This sounds so yummy. Thank you for posting it [wayey]

Old age ain't no place for sissies
by angelblossom on October 30, 2005 11:48 AM
yum- yum yummy [clappy] [angel]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by 4Ruddy on October 30, 2005 02:22 PM
Thanks Obywan! I am ALWAYS looking for new things to do with habeneros...I always have way more than I can use up...end up canning them! This sound absolutely yummy. I am really interested in your Turkey recipe now!!! HINT HINT!!!
AND..if anyone needs habeneros to try this...I have plenty and would love to share!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jelly booboo| Next thread: Jerusalem Cherry »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: