The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

If you've got any spare time...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by sue099 on September 26, 2006 07:46 AM
...this for me has been the very BEST way to not only get FREE information on propogation and caring for plants, but also to get FREE cuttings.

A few weeks ago I started working a few hours a day 2 days a week at a local nursery. This will become a paid job for me when they are hiring extra people from January to May which is their busiest time.
Because they grow about 95% of what they well themselves from seeds, cuttings and plugs, I am gaining first hand experience and right now its quiet for them and they have the time to really show me everything. Its also the time they are transplanting pansies and cutting back perennials and shrubs for over-qintering in their greenhouses.
As a result they have given me so far about 5 dozen cuttings from creeping jenny, buddleia, and other plants. Basically any time they ask me to prune plants they tell me to take all the cuttings I want, and when transplanting tiny seedlings, there are invariably a few left over when the new tray is filled, and tell me to take them home.
I planted about 35 cuttings of buddliea in pots today.
And I am learning techniques which will save me money for years to come.

If you know of a nursery that grows on most of what it sells near you, and you have even just a few hours a week to spare, I'd seriously recommend you go talk to them and offer your services.

My motto is, will work for cuttings! [grin]

Nature is the art of God ~ Thomas Browne,1635
by sue099 on September 26, 2006 07:50 AM
* Because they grow about 95% of what they SELL (not well) themselves from seeds, cuttings and plugs

by sue099 on September 26, 2006 08:06 AM
Its also the time they are transplanting pansies and cutting back perennials and shrubs for over-WINTERING (not qintering! I really need to check my posts more carefully since I can't edit them!) in their greenhouses.

by amy7467 on September 26, 2006 09:10 AM
I was just thinking of going to my local nursery to see if they would let me hang out (I'm such a geek). My neighbor worked at one and she would bring stuff home all the time that they were just going to throw away! Thanks for telling your story (misspellings and all! I knew what you meant!)

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: