The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

paper pots

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Paper Daisys (Bracteantha bracteata)| Next thread: Paperwhites »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on July 02, 2006 11:28 AM
They've been around and popular for a while and have disappeared for a while. I though I might bring the subject up again. I don't bother buying plastic pots anymore, it gets quite pricy (considering the amount of extra seeds that I sow. I can't bear throwing out the seedlings so I give them away, so many pots!) and are bad for the enviroment. You can always wash them, but with so many pots, it can take forever. Paper pots are easy to make and saves young seedling from going into 'transplant shock.' I've designed a few myslf, I guess this is when my origami talents really kick in, [grin] hehe [grin] ! If anyone's interested in some of these designs, let me know and I'll post them.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by netwiz on July 02, 2006 12:23 PM
Hi kennyso,

Please post them! I was just checking out how to sow seeds next spring and wondering how I was going to afford so many new pots. I'm looking forward to trying the paper pots out!

Joanne
by chenno on July 02, 2006 03:11 PM
Yes, Please do post,interesting.
Thanks

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Tonya on July 02, 2006 04:20 PM
I would love to learn about this...please post a "how-to" .

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by kennyso on July 03, 2006 02:42 AM
I'm doing to draw out the instructions for my designs later, but I'll scan a few pages from my books. These were designed by real 'professionals'!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by kennyso on July 03, 2006 03:19 AM
I also thought to out some links up. These are some of the ones that I visit most often (very useful). These range from simple to intermediate in terms of folding. They will all, if not most, require Adobe Acrobat Reader.

http://www.origami.org.hk/pdf/news17b.pdf
http://www.origami.org.hk/pdf/news01a.pdf
http://www.oriland.com/studio/diagram.asp?ID=Simple%20Box
http://home.no.net/origami/vase1.htm
http://members.aol.com/davidpetty/mom61.htm
http://www.astrolabioazul.com/orukami/imagens/diagramas/origami-diagrama-cesto-papeis.gif

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by SpringFever on July 03, 2006 03:29 AM
Can you paper mache over them to make them last a bit longer? Just a thought..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by netwiz on July 03, 2006 03:42 AM
Great links, thanks! Does anyone know how many layers of newspaper to use so it will break down properly in the ground?

Joanne
by Jiffymouse on July 03, 2006 03:59 AM
rita, the ones i made have lasted for what seems like forever. i have some that i didn't bury, that i just "stuck" in the corners of a square pot a couple of years ago that are still there. of course i wouldn't try to use them again, but you get my drift.

the way i made my paper pots was to use a cup the size i wanted them, wrap a strip of folded newspaper (i used a half sheet folded 2 times long way) around it, then folded the end over it like you fold a coin wrapper. then i put a piece of paper tape on the bottom to hold it.

i've made the other kind, but these were the most simple and like i said, they last.
by SpringFever on July 03, 2006 04:32 AM
Ohh Cool... Thanks Jiffy .. I was second thinking the Mache on account it would probably melt any how [Razz] I am going to have to give it a try sounds like a great rainy day project!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by chenno on July 03, 2006 11:50 AM
Thanks for links and info, I will be doing this.

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Amigatec on July 03, 2006 01:06 PM
I contacted my local paper office to see what kind of ink they use. They told me it is Soy-based so it is safe for the plants. Also I use cotton string to tie mine with.

I plan to make lots of paper pots next year.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Jiffymouse on July 03, 2006 03:04 PM
cotton string is a good idea pat. i didn't think about that. sometimes i roll mine offset just a bit then turn down a cuff around the top to hold them.
by Amigatec on July 03, 2006 03:29 PM
I thought about tape, but had the string handy and it's more biodegradable.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by kennyso on August 06, 2006 06:31 AM
Might I suggest using a flower/cornstarch and water paste, it holds pretty well like glue and it's totally organic!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by LandOfOz on August 17, 2006 04:27 AM
Kenny, I've got to thank you for the origami boxes. Last year for Christmas I decided to make these origami boxes that were actually called coin purses or something. I failed miserably and felt terrible for it. The instructions you provided were great--I didn't have any troubles with (most of) them. I like to use the leftover craftpaper, thin-cardboard paper from the center of wrapping paper rolls. This is usually sturdy enough to hold it's own shape better than copy paper or newspaper. I'm not sure how quickly it will biodegrade though. I guess I'll just have to plant it and find out! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for an alternative to buy expensive pots!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Paper Daisys (Bracteantha bracteata)| Next thread: Paperwhites »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: