The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Recycling washing machine tub.........

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Recycling old crib?| Next thread: red ants!!!!!!!! »
Back to Thread index
by tamara on May 23, 2006 06:12 AM
I want to use a steel tub to make an outside fireplace. I want to cut a square opening in the side to put in wood and place a steel grate on top for a pot.

I want to make it look like a round fireplace next to my cement patio. Does anyone know what I have to do to cover it with stones and cement? I want it to have a stone fireplace look. Any advice at all is welcomed.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Triss on May 23, 2006 06:33 AM
That sounds like a good plan Tamara. Are you thinking round rocks or brick? I would imagine if you decided to go with the rounder rocks that once you set the base in the ground, you could work your way up, attaching the rocks with cement to the ones below. Would love to see pics of what you do and the process as it comes along.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by tamara on May 23, 2006 06:38 AM
I'm thinking of large stones and rocks. I just have no idea if the tub needs some kind of prep for the cement or what kind of cement to use. I plan on pouring a small cement pad under it first. Thanks Triss.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
by Triss on May 23, 2006 07:03 AM
If you are going to do a pad, then you may not need to attach anything to the tub, just build around it.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Longy on May 24, 2006 07:19 AM
If you are going to do a pad, then you may not need to attach anything to the tub, just build around it.
+++++++++++
I use an old washing machine tub in my yard for an outdoor fire and the above suggestion is probably the best. The metal will not allow the concrete to adhere well and once it gets hot the metal will expand at a different rate than the concrete. It will end up cracking. Leave a small gap and build around it for best results. Mine is an enamelled tub and i just cut some holes in the front and that's all. It sits on old bricks and i hide it in a garden come spring..

It's great for watching the stars and losing myself in thought on a cold night.

-
The secret is the soil.
by tamara on May 24, 2006 11:32 PM
Thanks Longy, I was wondering about the adherance factor.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
by weezie13 on May 25, 2006 01:30 AM
My husband uses an old truck tire rim thingie..
It's a good sized fire area too!!!!
And it has the built in holes too for good aeration..
*and it's on top of a ring of bricks..to keep
it up in the air more.*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by FRITO on June 27, 2006 04:48 AM
I am using an old washing machine tub as a planter for my chinese fan plam: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/fritoxtreme/my%20plants/IM002209.jpg

to make it a fire pit, i wouldn't try to attach anything on the the side rather build a small retaining wall around it and put it on some concrete.
by weezie13 on June 30, 2006 04:34 AM
I love that Frito!!

I have an old washing machine barrel,
mine is metal I believe...
I am in the process of making mine into a planter, but it's on my "TO DO LIST" still..

Thanks for sharing that though..
Great idea...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by badplanter on July 04, 2006 05:45 PM
well, if u wanna keep things together, gorrila glue works for anything!!! this might be a way to keep ur things together

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Recycling old crib?| Next thread: red ants!!!!!!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: