The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Buckets to pick your veggies/fruits in.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bryophyllum daigremontianum| Next thread: Buckeye Candy »
Back to Thread index
by beebiz on February 28, 2006 03:58 PM
Hey all,

When I've needed buckets in the past, I've gone to Sonic and gotten pickle buckets from them for free. I always had a tough time getting the pickle smell out, but the price was definitely right!! [thumb] Sadly, my local Sonic no longer gets their pickles in a bucket, so my "free bucket" source was gone! [nutz]

While in my local grocery store, I stopped by the deli and asked about their pickle buckets. The lady said that they got their pickles in a bag. [nutz] I thanked her and turned to walk away.

"What do you need buckets for?" she asked. I told her that I wanted them for storing honey, picking vegetables, and other gardening purposes.

She asked, "Would you like 5-gallon or 2.5-gallon buckets?" I told her that I'd love to have both.

Then, she asked me how many I wanted. I told her that I'd love to have about a dozen of the 5-gallon and as many 2.5-gallon ones as I could get my hands on.

"A dozen 5-gallon buckets," she said. "That will take a while. We average emptying only 1 to 3 per day. And, we only go through about 3 or 4 of the 2.5-gallon buckets per day. But, you are welcome to what I can collect for you. And if you don't mind cleaning them out yourself, they won't cost you anything."

Since I knew that they served fried foods, I figured that the buckets would be filled with old grease from the fryers and it would be a pain to clean them out. But, then it dawned on me what kind of daily quantity she had quoted me and I thought surely that would be way too many for grease drippings.

"I'm sure I won't mind cleaning them out. But, what is or was in them? And, can I get any lids for them?" I asked.

"Cake icing, and you can have all the lids if you want them," she said.

So, I'm getting food grade plastic buckets and lids, just for hauling them off and cleaning them out!! From Brushy Mountain Bee Supply , those food grade plastic buckets and lids are $6.50 each plus shipping!!! All totaled, that dozen 5-gallon buckets would cost me around $100.00!! [Eek!] I think I can haul them off and clean the icing out cheaper than that!!!!! [thumb]

I've said all that so say this. If you need a few 5-gallon or 2.5-gallon buckets, check with your local grocers's deli or local confectioner shop. You just might be able to get food grade plastic buckets with lids just for hauling them off and cleaning them out!!

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by comfrey on March 01, 2006 01:20 AM
About buckets...You can remove the pickle smell by placing dog food in the bucket...One bucket full of dog food usually is enough. I discovered this by accident. I had some pickle buckets and tried everything I could think of to remove the smell..I wanted to store some food in them, So decided to use them to store the dog food in when I couldn't get the smell out...That took the smell out of them. Check with bakeries for buckets, frosting for cakes come in them also, and most places only charge 2-3 dollars for them. You can never have enough buckets!!!!

-
 -
by beebiz on March 01, 2006 02:42 AM
Comfrey said:
quote:
Check with bakeries for buckets, frosting for cakes come in them also, and most places only charge 2-3 dollars for them.
Pleeeeeease dont' tell my local grocery store this!!! Right now, they are letting me have them for free!!! [thumb]

Comfrey said:
quote:
You can never have enough buckets!!!!
You got that right!!! I wish someone would kindly explain that to my wife. I only have about 5 or 6 buckets right now, and she is constantly wanting to know why I won't toss some of them!!

I never would have thought about using dog food to get the smell out of a pickle bucket!! I tried coffee grounds, baking soda, bleach, tomato juice, and lemon juice. When I drove an 18-wheeler, we used those to take the smell out of a refrigerated trailer that had hauled chicken and some of the blood had been allowed to spoil before being cleaned out. They worked fine on the rotten chicken blood smell, but wouldn't budge the pickle smell!

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by tamara on March 01, 2006 02:49 AM
I get 3 gallon buckets from the ice cream shop for free also.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by beebiz on March 01, 2006 03:21 AM
Tamara, are the ice cream buckets all plastic? Do they have lids that when put in place would keep liquid (like water) from leaking out if the bucket were turned up-side down? The reason I ask is that I might be able to use them as syrup feeders for my bees. But the lids would have to form a very good seal to keep from leaking and making a HUGE mess in the hive!

by comfrey on March 01, 2006 10:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by beebiz:
I tried coffee grounds, baking soda, bleach, tomato juice, and lemon juice.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I tried all of the above also, Thats when i gave up and put dog food in one.

I have so many buckets around here, I couldn't count them all. Everywhere you look outside or inside you will see a bucket. I keep at least two 5 gallons ones by the garden gate in the growing months. I have daffodils growing in one on the porch from where I dug them up last year and forgot about them and never got planted, when I saw green leaves [nutz] I said Oh...guess I forgot about those, but they are still in the bucket, I need to dig a whole for them and place the hole clump in the ground. It would free up another bucket. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bryophyllum daigremontianum| Next thread: Buckeye Candy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: