The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Looking for book recommendation for pest management

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Malica on August 19, 2006 10:01 PM
I'm hoping someone could help direct me towards a good book (or website) about pest management that does not involve killing any insects. Browsing through the books about organic gardening in the local bookstore, they all seemed to be laden with recipes for organic pesticides -- something I don't believe in -- as well as some no-kill alternatives.

My garden hasn't been fairing too poorly so far, but I would like to further discourage pests from settling in (especially since I'm considering adding a vegetable patch for next year). Does anyone know of any books along these lines, or should I just bite the bullet and sift through the organic gardening books that are available and pick out the information that I need?
by Wrennie on August 20, 2006 12:33 AM
I have Rodales Encyclopedia of organic gardening that I like. I think it had some 'recipes' too. I would suggest you look for books on companion planting and herbal insect repellants.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by papito on August 20, 2006 11:53 AM
check the link below for [organic] insect treatments

http://www.ghorganics.com/page14.html

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Malica on August 21, 2006 12:55 PM
Thanks for the link, papito, but I've come across several sites like that before where a few of the recipes are for repellents, a few are for organic pesticides, then the bulk are not labelled as either repellents or pesticides. I will not use pesticides, so any that aren't clearly labelled as 'repellents' are out of the question. It's frustrating to have to sift through all the information in each site just to find a few no-kill options, so I was hoping someone may have stumbled across a site or book that is exclusively no-kill (or at least clearly sectioned off so I don't have to go through so much information to find the few gems of information that I want).

Thanks for the suggestions, Wrennie. At the very least it helps to have to have some good solid search terms.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: