The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hall's Honeysuckle

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Joey on June 09, 2004 03:13 AM
[flower] Hi all, I'm so excited to find this site!!! I'm hoping someone will be able to help me solve my mysterious problem.... I planted a honeysuckle 3 years ago and it grew very nicely for the first 2 years. Even last fall it looked fine... now spring has come (and almost gone), and NOTHING! No buds, no leaves, no flowers, no nothing! Over the last couple of years, it has grown all the way up my fence in the back yard and is now just a dead looking mess. I don't know what to do... it's in a fairly moist location (at the bottom corner of the yard where all run-off collects) but, that never seemed to be a problem before. And we just went through a very cold Canadian winter but, again, never seemed to be a problem before. Does anyone have any advise on this situation?
by Botanical Beauty on June 09, 2004 03:38 PM
Joey,
You said it was in a low spot in your yard, last fall/winter did you have lots of rain before it became cold and froze? And this spring, was it very wet?
It sounds like whats happened is your plant has root rot. All plants need a chance to dry out for the exchange of gasses, Carbon Dioxide and Oxygen.
If it has stayed continually wet this is the most likely cause ( water mold fungi).
You can tell by examining the roots ( gently remove some of the soil and look at the secondary roots and their hairs). If they are shriveled and smell foul this is the problem.
You can try cutting back some of the foliage/vines, and giving it a treatment of Vitamin B-1 to promote new root growth. Just don't drown the plant.

Gracious gardening,

Botanical Beauty

Botanical Beauty
by papito on June 09, 2004 10:22 PM
I just want to [wayey] Welcome both Joey and Botanical Beauty to The Gardener's Forum. This is a CyberFamily of Gardeners from around the world.

Hey, Weezie & Catlover,
We have another Californian...Botanical Beauty, from Stockton, a Horticulturist and Design Consultant.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by weezie13 on June 21, 2004 03:36 PM
Hey, I msut have been "out" for this post,
how did I miss it???

I have a girlfriend that lives out that way!
And another Californian to boot! [grin]

And another Canadian, [grin] I think they are out numbering us New Yorkers!!! [scaredy] [tears]

Welcome Aboard!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: