The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Worms Update

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Worms on Night Blooming Jasmine| Next thread: wormwood »
Back to Thread index
by LandOfOz on July 18, 2006 05:00 PM
My wormies (European Red Wigglers and some Nightcrawlwers) are doing fabulous. I was really concerned that I wouldn't have enough or that they would take forever to multiply or that I'd kill them all. But I was wrong. I've got at least 2 times as many worms as I bought and they are feeding like mad in there! They've eaten almost all of the bedding (shredded newspaper and cardboard) and are gobbling down kitchen scraps in a day or so. I am very impressed. They are getting FAT too! If I can do this, anyone can! [Big Grin] I am so glad I found this site with all of it's info and helpful folks around! [muggs]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by weezie13 on July 23, 2006 06:12 AM
Thanks for the update...
We love to hear of worms success..

Where do you keep yours?
Outside or are they moveable inside come winter...?

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LandOfOz on July 23, 2006 07:10 AM
I think Kansas might be a little too hot for worms to be outside; especially since we've had this horrible heat wave with 109 F (I think 41 C) being our highest temp this past week. So my worms get the pampered indoor life. I keep them in my bedroom which bothers the beejesus out of my husband who happens to be a clean freak. They are in a rubbermaid box and movable, I have nowhere else to put them. We have a very small house and that is the only place that we have the room and is child proof!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by weezie13 on July 25, 2006 02:26 PM
I'm sure my husband would never let me put
worms in the bedroom...
I get away with alottttttttt of stuff,
but worms in there, he'd draw the line....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by daylily77 on August 01, 2006 08:44 PM
LOL! That's so funny about keeping them in your bedroom! So you can do that in a rubbermaid container? I wonder if you could make compost in a huge one of those. Are you eventually going to let the worms go in your garden?
by LandOfOz on August 06, 2006 04:38 PM
These are European Redworms (sounds fancy, huh?) so they won't live outdoors, at least not around here anyway. They are naturally found in mature heaps. Here is the instructions for the worm bin that I made. It was very inexpensive and easy to make.

quote:
I'm sure my husband would never let me put
worms in the bedroom...
I get away with alottttttttt of stuff,
but worms in there, he'd draw the line....
Frankly, I'm surprised I'm getting away with it. But, it's either worms in a container 5 feet from where we sleep [sleepy] , or worms all over the house because that is what my kids would do with them!! [Big Grin] They are always trying to sneak into my room and talk to the "wormies" because they think that they are lonely. [nutz]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by LandOfOz on August 06, 2006 04:40 PM
Not "mature heaps" but manure heaps!! [Big Grin]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by patches1414 on August 06, 2006 05:33 PM
Sarah, I've got mine in a Rubbermaid container but it's in my basement. I live in Illinois and I'm so it's either too hot in the sumeer or too cold in the winter to keep them outside. [Frown] I just started my bin back in April and I'm really enjoying it. [Wink] [Smile] [Smile] Of course, my grandson wants me to use some of the worms and take him fishing, [Big Grin] which I plan to do, but it's been too hot to do that lately. [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Worms on Night Blooming Jasmine| Next thread: wormwood »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: