The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ge roaster 18 quart oven

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Gazania care| Next thread: general cacti care »
Back to Thread index
by deb789 on October 12, 2005 09:31 PM
I need some advice on cooking 20 lb. turkey on my roaster oven. I am gonna add stuffing to this bird. Also it says to add water on this roaster oven. Do yall add water on the roaster oven? Do yall cover your turkey with foil or not? Will the foil burn if added to the turkey? Im really green about this roaster oven. First time cooking on roaster oven. So i want it to come out good. Also i need some more ideas on what to cook on this roaster oven. Any ideas!!! DEBBIE.
by peppereater on October 13, 2005 06:26 AM
Is this a "roaster oven" or a "toaster oven?" Does it have a front door that hinges down, and a rack or racks inside, with heating elements top and bottom? I'll assume that's it. Some people say to cook the stuffing separately for safety reasons, but I think most people still stuff turkey...just take the stuffing out when it has cooled, and refrigerate it separately from the bird. I'm thinking you cook turkey at 325 degrees for 15 minutes per pound...20 lbs is a big bird! Whatever you would do in an oven, you can do in a toaster oven, and I don't think you would have to adjust cooking times much. I never use water in the pan for turkey, but I cover it loosely with foil (don't leave the edges out of the pan or it'll drip all over). during the last 30 or 45 minutes, take off the foil so the skin can brown nicely.
Did you get a rotisserie attachment with your roaster? These are great for chicken. The one drawback with toaster ovens is that they can be messy to clean. I use min mostly in the summer, I set it outside on the patio so that I can have roast chicken, baked potatoes, casseroles, etc. without heating up the house.
by weezie13 on October 14, 2005 03:38 AM
This is the style I have......
Nesco Roaster Oven...................
I don't add water to mine.....

I do do a fresh turkey in mine, so may be
different than a frozen one..
I don't even tie the bird up..

*I like to make sure parts get cooked..
I'm funny about uncooked meat...

but some times I have put in stuffing,
sometimes, mostly if I do, I only put a little
bit in... the bottom...
and put the rest in the oven, I like a crispier
stuffing, not a soft~ooweeeee~goo~ie one....
but that's me..

and for that particular roaster oven,
my fresh turkey is done way before the booklet
says for the time of it to be done..
weight vs time...
so, I've adjusted the heat and watch the time...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on October 14, 2005 11:53 AM
I have an older roaster similar to the one weezie has, and I have roasted a turkey in mine many times. I do like to place foil around mine, to make cleaning the removable pan easier, and it also keeps the turkey from drying out, and basting juices closer to the turkey for flavor. I have fully stuffed my turkey with no problems. The only problem with the one I have is that my turkey will not brown, so when it is done I pop it into the oven long enough to brown it good...But it is a big help having the roaster, as it frees up your oven for other dishes, pies, rolls etc that you want to fix. I have also used mine to sterilize canning jars...I just added boiling water to the roaster set on lower setting and then I could add and remove jars as need.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Gazania care| Next thread: general cacti care »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: