The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

fish???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: First Watermelon| Next thread: Fish are eating my plants! »
Back to Thread index
by Saved by Grace on May 01, 2006 12:49 PM
We went fishing and when my husband got done cleaning the fish he remembered that he had heard somewhere that it is great to put fish heads and guts on top of the garden soil before you till it? He was told it was supposed to add tons of nutrients to the soil...

I talked him out of doing it right away so I could study up on it...I dont want to ruin the garden before its even started.

Has anyone ever heard of that...is it a good idea or not???

Thanks
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by melcon6 on May 01, 2006 12:55 PM
It's actually a great idea, but I would throw them in a compost pile and cover them over with leaves and grass clippings, only so you don't have bugs and animals in your garden. Or you could till them right into the soil if it's your veggie garden and your rototilling it anyway. As long as they are buried they will be great for your garden! People pay money for fish fertilizer!

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by ChristinaC on May 01, 2006 01:04 PM
I put my fish guts in my compost..my mom burries hers right in the garden! [thumb]

-
 -
by Saved by Grace on May 01, 2006 01:06 PM
Cant believe my husband actually knows something about gardening, LOL. Im glad to hear that it will work fine. We are going to till the garden sometime this week, I hope, so we will just have to go fishing first.

We dont have a compost pile yet so should we use a rubbermaid tub and put them in it with leaves and grass clippings until we are ready to till the ground?

Thanks again,
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by markr on May 01, 2006 01:49 PM
watch out for the cats.
i'd have every cat in the street round here if i did it!
they love my garden enough already [Eek!]

-
Mark
by weezie13 on May 01, 2006 02:43 PM
Heck, you can even plant it somewhere's near a plant *buried in the dirt/soil* and it (the plant)will utilize it thru the dirt..
**I do that to the passed away fish we have from
the fish tank....**

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: First Watermelon| Next thread: Fish are eating my plants! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: