The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Free manure

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: free lotus seeds| Next thread: Free Plants and Trees!!! »
Back to Thread index
by Amigatec on March 03, 2006 08:53 AM
I stopped by the local Stock Yard, and asked them about their cow manure. The person told me the pile is around back and bring my own shovel.

They have more than they can haul off, and it is free for the taking, I have to load it myself, and anyday of the week is ok.

So I guess I will load the shovel and buy a couple of those Rubbermaid totes and start shoveling Cow poop!

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by afgreyparrot on March 03, 2006 09:43 AM
Hey...that's a good idea!

I live on a road that has more cow and horse pastures than houses...and last year I stopped at a house about a mile down the road and asked the farmer if I could get some horse poop out of his pasture. He said "Take all ya want!" [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Amigatec on March 03, 2006 09:47 AM
I did notice a lot of trash mixed in with the manure, mostly bottles. I will pick them out.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 05, 2006 12:12 PM
Heyyyyyyyy, Pat, can you bring me a load, or two? [Smile] [grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] [thumb] [kissies] [kissies]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ShirlS on March 05, 2006 12:29 PM
Is the manure aged? Be veryyyyyyyy careful if it isn't! I used un-aged manure once in my veggie garden and I had the healthiest weeds in the hood.. The cows eat the weeds and the seeds are dispersed in their manure, just waiting to grow. the positive out of that deal was I ended up with some really nice looking daisy's grow too. I had to lay black plastic down in order to burn the plants and seeds so they would not come back. [scaredy]

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Mandyz on March 13, 2006 01:52 AM
This is a different form of manure... but what about rabbit droppings? There are many wild rabbits in the area - not looking forward to fighting with them over my veggies - and now that the snow has melted I see their droppings everywhere. Is it worthwhile to gather them up?
by weezie13 on March 13, 2006 02:10 AM
Mandy,
It would realllllly depend on youuuuu...
If you're into doing it, and there's some there,
it can not hurt by any means..

I have bunnies do the same thing in my garden over the winter, and ther'es piles of them..
And lucky for me *or unlucky for a plant or two*
they are right there in the perennial bed, and leave them right there, so I don't have to pick them up, there right there..

So, it would depend on you...

Hey, we even like worm castings enough, and my two boys reconize it, and pick some of it up and they give it to me... hey, keeps them busy for a few minutes, here and there, and I'll take those minutes.. [Wink] [thumb] [Big Grin] [grin] [flower] [flower] [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on March 13, 2006 02:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Heyyyyyyyy, Pat, can you bring me a load, or two? [Smile] [grin] [Wink] [Big Grin] [thumb] [kissies] [kissies]
Sure can but it is LONG way from Oklahoma to New York just for a load of poop!!

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 13, 2006 02:28 AM
Hi Shirl, [wavey]

I think maybe you answered my question before I even had a chance to ask it, but I'm going to ask it anyway, just to be sure. My friend's mom is coming down to visit the first week in July and she offered to bring me some horse manure. She asked if I wanted fresh or dried, but I didn't what to tell her. Can I assume by your post that I should tell her to bring the dried? Would the dried eliminate the weed seed problem? [dunno]

Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Amigatec on March 13, 2006 02:34 AM
Dried would be better, the cow manure I will be getting I plan to let lay for some time, and will probably add grass and leaves to it as well.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 13, 2006 11:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Amigatec:
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Sure can but it is LONG way from Oklahoma to New York just for a load of poop!!

Yeah, but think of all that fun and scenery you'd see on the way up.... lol!!!

Just kiddin' you! [Wink]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 13, 2006 03:02 PM
Thanks Amigatec, [thumb] I'll tell her to bring the dried manure. [Wink]

Weezie, my poop is coming from Wisconsin all the way down to Southern Illinois. Isn't it amazing what we gardeners will do. [muggs]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on March 13, 2006 08:45 PM
[Big Grin] [Wink] [thumb] [Cool] [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]

Patches, Did I ever find out from you if you are
close to Calumet City and Gary Indiana????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 14, 2006 04:41 AM
Not very close Weezie, it's about 300 hundred miles NE of here. Actually, I'm right across the river from St. Louis, MO. Why do you ask? Did you want me to bring you some manure? [Big Grin] [muggs]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 14, 2006 05:09 AM
[Wink] [Big Grin]
nooooooo, *sure would be nice..*
I have relatives in those places...
Was wondering' how close you were to them...

But hey, if you're out drivin' around with some
manure, you can stop by annnnnnnnnnnnytime! [thumb] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 14, 2006 06:36 AM
Wheezie, I used to go to Indianapolis a lot when my aunt was alive and lived there, but I haven't been to Indiana for many years. I don't go many places anymore so I guess I won't be driving by. I think it's funny that my manure will be coming from over 400 miles away. At least, I know I'm not the only ones thats [nutz] about gardening.

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 14, 2006 07:25 AM
They've lived in Calumet City for like ever,
and we've only been there once..
It was such a long time ago...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ShirlS on March 14, 2006 11:48 AM
Patches,
I am sorry I missed your post!! yep I would also opt for the dry stuff. Ask how long they have let it cure before mixing it in. I am scared of fresh manure now [scaredy]

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by patches1414 on March 14, 2006 12:29 PM
Thanks Shirl! [thumb]

I've asked her to bring the dry and I'm probably only going to put it in my compost bin. Then if there are any weed seeds in the manure, wouldn't the heat kill them? [dunno]

Hey Shirl, our temperatures have really dropped since we had the nasty storms, so I think I'll make your slow cooker roast again tomorow night. It's so easy and good! [thumb]

Have great day! [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by SpringFever on March 14, 2006 09:16 PM
Hi everybody I was just wondering is there a difference between composted manuer or non? I have to buy mine so I was just curious of what the better was ? [dunno]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Amigatec on March 14, 2006 10:36 PM
Well we must have it bad, here we are all getting excited about POOP!!! [nutz] [nutz]

-
 -
by ShirlS on March 14, 2006 11:53 PM
Goodmorning roomies!!

Patches- I believe that the heat in the compost pile, will kill any weed seeds. Good thinking! [thumb] I am happy to hear you like the roast. As you said it is easy breezy and tastey. Hope things warm up for you soon. I definately do not miss the weather in the east.

Spring Fever- I am not sure where you are buying yours. If you buy it in bags at the local box store you don't have to worry about it. If you buy it by the load I would go for the composted manure. The difference is...In the composted manure the weed seeds and patogens hare killed off. In the raw unprocessed manure they are still alive and well.

[Big Grin] Ami! [nutz] [nutz] indeed!!

Have a soopaaaaaa doopaaaaaaaa day!

-
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by johnCT on March 15, 2006 09:31 PM
Also, uncomposted manure can burn plants or seedlings if it is used as a mulch or amendment around them.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: free lotus seeds| Next thread: Free Plants and Trees!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: