The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Vermiculture

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: verbena flowers - help!| Next thread: Very hot sun troubles »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on February 23, 2006 02:26 AM
I'm not sure I'm posting this on the right forum but I really couldn't find another forum that seemed to fit the subject. I was wondering if anyone here is in into vermiculture? I've been thinking about starting a worm bin, so I'm looking for some information from someone who has done it. Actually, I wish I would have done this in the fall, but better late than never. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Have a GREAT day!!! [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]
by weezie13 on February 23, 2006 03:12 AM
Patches,
I am going to slide your post into Organically Speaking Section, but you've got a few here that are interested in it, *and Patty is just got one for Christmas* and so, I think you'll get alot of help/info on it..

Also, if you do a FORUM SEARCH and type in VERMACULTURE, I think you'll find a post or two
that will come up that we've talked about...

And worm castings are one of the best sources' of nutrients/and soil amenders a plant can have.. [grin] [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on February 23, 2006 04:19 AM
Thanks Weezie! I'm going to check this out. I'm still learning my way around the different forums but I will eventually get a handle on them.

Have a GREAT day and thanks again! [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by JV on February 23, 2006 07:17 PM
patches1414 Jonnie13 is more or less the resident expert on this . she is the one I get most of my info from. PM her and she can fill you in.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by melcon6 on February 23, 2006 07:45 PM
Patches, here's the thread we had going on worms . I started mine last April and it's going great. Just yesterday I cleaned out a five gallon pail of compost. This is the third time I've gotten that much. [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by patches1414 on February 23, 2006 11:26 PM
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the heads-up on Jonnie13. This sounds like the kind of input I was looking for, someone who's "been there and done that". I did research vermiculture on the internet, but I found SO much information it was overwhelming, and I was still left scratching my head. [dunno]

Now, there's just one more thing, I'm a newbie here and still trying to learn things and I don't know how to PM anyone. Can someone tell me how to do that?

Thanks again and have a GREAT day!

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on February 24, 2006 01:29 AM
Patches,
You can PM someone by using the envelope icon
at the top/right of all the posts...
click on it, fill out the header, then the message, then hit send reply....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 24, 2006 01:46 AM
Patches,
I sent a quick PM to Tina...
to see if she'd swing by here for you..
[thumb] [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by jonni13 on February 24, 2006 05:04 AM
Ok, now I'm afraid to post here. Jimmy called me an "expert" and I'm just a person with happy worms. Until I got into this topic I didn't know what I was doing right or wrong. I just stumbled along.
Patches, what is it that you are wanting to know? A few posts down from this one is a thread titled, "Let's talk about Worms". It will get you started and I learned quite a bit about them myself.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by patches1414 on February 25, 2006 06:28 AM
Hi Tina,

I sent you a PM with all the questions I have at this time. I was afraid it was too long to post on the forum so I did what Jimmy said and sent the PM.

Thanks! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 06:40 AM
Patches, It's never too long for a forum post..

And it's always good to post that stuff here..
because even though Tina may be able to answer all of your questions...
Ther'es always some one that comes thru, and loves to read and not really become a member or
post questions, etc... and they just read the info..

Also, there may be someone that becomes a member, say days from now, weeks, etc.. and they may also be able to *ADD* something extra to the post, or clarify a something...that someone didn't know or left out...

So, don't fear about putting your posts here,
no matter how long they are..
*eventually putting enough posts, get you THE [gabby] WEEZIE [gabby] AWARD [Wink] [thumb] [kissies] [muggs] [muggs] [gabby]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on February 25, 2006 07:34 AM
Okay Weezie, I'm learning and I'll remember that. I guess it's just at some places you start typing something and then find out you've run out of the allowed room so you have to go back a delete a lot of things to make it shorter. [Frown]

Thanks for all your help!!! [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 10:02 PM
Not here... we [Cool] love [Love] winded [gabby] posts.. [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 10:07 PM
Patches, have you looked into bins and places yet to get something going??
Now's a great time to start it...
Springs around the corner and just about when you'd need it, I bet your first load would be just about ready.... [thumb] [thumb]

I don't have one, I've done a bit of reading up on them..

I do know one point, that the worms that you'd buy for an indoor worm bin are strictly indoor worms, and not to be put out doors, well, let me say that they can't over winter like a regular worm could outside...like say in your growing zone.. they'd freeze...

And they can drowned.. if you don't put in the next layer to be moved up too, and you need a drip or drainage thingie *should come with the box if you get one from a place that's a plastic unit* and you can take that drainage, dilute with water and use as a very beneficial foliar spray too.. Double bonus!!! [thumb] [thumb]

Hope I've helped some..
And please keep us posted if you do get one..
I would love to hear about it..
Like I said, I know Patty got one too, so you two can experiment at the same time maybe...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on February 26, 2006 12:02 AM
Hi Weezie, [wavey]

Today's the Day! I'm going house-hunting so I'll have a nice home for my worms when I get them. I am armed with all valuable information I received from Tina and some more that I found last night as I was reading through all the old posts. One of the posts sent me to a site that showed how to make a Basic Worm Bin, so I'm going to take the cheap route and make one. Now that I know what to look for, I'm going out today to find a suitable container and get started, so I will let you know what I find.

I know the worms I need for my bin will die in my zone, so I'm putting the bin in my basement and they should be real happy there. [Wink]

I'm going to drill holes in bottom so the worms don't drown. The site I went to last night showed how to install a drain spout, but that sounds a little more difficult than just drilling holes in the bottom and catching the "liquid gold" in a drip pan. [thumb]

Thanks Weezie, you've helped a lot and Tina has helped a bunch too. Plus all the people who had posted information before, unfortunately, I can't remember who posted the link for the Basic Worm Bin, but it was an awesome site. [clappy]

Wish me happy house-hunting and have a really BEAUTIFUL day! [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 12:13 AM
Oh wishing you HAPPY HAPPY HOUSE HUNTING.....
Can't wait to hear your progress and adventures thru the whole thing..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on February 26, 2006 01:35 AM
HI Weezie,

SUCCESS, I think! [thumb] I found a Rubbbermaid DuraTote 31 gallon capacity that is 31.5 x 20 x 17.2, so I think it will work perfectly. It has a hinged lid which can be detached, so I thought maybe I would just make a screen top to put over it. This way they would get plenty of air and I wouldn't have to drill all the vent holes. Any thoughts on this? [dunno]

Here is a picture of it, if I can remember how to do it.

-

Have a GREAT day! [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by jonni13 on March 13, 2006 05:06 AM
Patches, your worms will be in the mail tomorrow, priority. Let me know if they arrive well. Make all their little beds up for them and then leave them alone for awhile to let them find their way around. They will do their worm thing and you can dig around after the first month or so to see how they are doing. They do best if undisturbed. Just check to make sure their bedding is damp and add any scraps on top.
About the screen top; mice can and will take up residence in your bin if they can. They love the ready made food source as well as the worms. So you want to keep it all as critter proof as possible. And the worms do their best work in the dark.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by patches1414 on March 13, 2006 01:22 PM
Oh Tina, I am so excited! [thumb] [kissies]

The lady at the worm farm told me not to feed them for several days after I get them because they will have plenty to eat with the coffee grounds and newspapers. She also said I could spread the "worm chow" lightly on top but I should bury any other food I put in there so it doesn't attract pests.

So you think the screen top would be better than drilling holes in the lid for air. Right? Maybe I should put out some mouse traps to be on the safe side. I don't want them to eat my babies. I love animals, but mice are NOT my favorite. [Frown]

Have a BEAUTIFUL day! [flower] [flower] [flower]

patches [kitty]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: verbena flowers - help!| Next thread: Very hot sun troubles »
Back to Thread index