The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Composting Moron

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: composting in winter??| Next thread: Composting Question »
Back to Thread index
by PlantFaerie on January 24, 2006 11:17 AM
Ok I'm not good with the whole compoting thing, we had one as a kid where we just threw everything on it but never really used it, I'd like to use it and I've read that a lasagna compost is the easiest/least fuss But I am a moron [Confused] and don't know the difference between brown and green. I'm assuming green is like grass clippings but what's brown? [dunno] [nutz]

-

Colonel Jack O'Neill "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that could explain all this? "

-

by beebiz on January 25, 2006 07:54 AM
Hey PlantFaerie,

The rule of thumbs that I have always used is that if it has dried out, it's "browns." If it hasn't dried out, it's "greens." But for a more expert description, here's what Compost Guide says about the "greens" and the "browns" used in compost:
quote:
Among the brown materials are dried leaves, straw, and wood chips. Nitrogen materials are fresh or green, such as grass clippings and kitchen scraps.
Check out their site. They have lots of information about composting.

Good luck,
Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by PlantFaerie on January 25, 2006 09:01 AM
Thanks Robert. [Smile] I alsways feel like such a dunce when it comes to some of the stuff I never did when we had our own huge garden when I was a kid. I swear all we did was plant 4 rows of corn and 2 of everything else and keep it watered and weeded (and pick of those dammed tomato worms!)

-

Colonel Jack O'Neill "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that could explain all this? "

-

by beebiz on January 25, 2006 01:24 PM
quote:
(and pick of those dammed tomato worms!)
Yep, been there, dont that, got the coffee mug, t-shirt, cap, and wrist band!! I have a brother 3 years younger than me and it was always our job to reduce the worm population in the tomatoes. We'd hold them in our closed fist, squash them, and then show them to our mother or sister! Mean little turds, weren't we?? [devil] [devil] But, we got rid of the worms!! [angel]

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by Shieldmaiden96 on March 26, 2006 10:54 AM
I'm starting to get the brown and green thing but I'm unclear on one thing; WHEN should I start? Because I live in a house with a narrow-ish yard visible to neighbors on both sides I decided to get a compost tumbler rather than doing a pile, but when should I start it? I live in Zone 5, but the experienced gardeners in this area tell me its really more like Zone 4. Spring has really not sprung here yet and we still have some very below freezing nights. I have five big Agway bags of leaves in my garage that I stored when I cleaned up the yard in the fall and I am starting to feel anxious whenever I put vegetable waste and coffee grounds in the trash. Is it safe to start the tumbler now?
by patches1414 on March 26, 2006 12:43 PM
Hi shieldmadien 96! [wavey]

Welcome to the Forum! You can put everything in your tumbler now and start turning it! Then wait for the "black gold"! [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by patches1414 on March 26, 2006 12:47 PM
Hey Robert, I went to your Web Site and I was the 221th visitor. I read some of the things, but I wasn't able to sign your guestbook. There was no place to sign. [dunno] Nice site! [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by beebiz on March 26, 2006 01:11 PM
Hey Patches,

Thanks for visiting my site! Sorry about not being able to sign the guestbook. What browser and what version of the browser are you using (ie. Internet Explorer 6.0)? Also, are you using any type of accelerator program such as Bellsouth Accelerator?

Thanks,
Robert

by patches1414 on March 26, 2006 03:01 PM
Hi Robert!

I am using Internet Explorer, but I don't know what number it is. I am not using any type of accelerator program.

patches

-
 -
by beebiz on March 26, 2006 03:28 PM
Hey Patches,

Thanks for the information. I'll check into the guestbook problem.

Robert

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: composting in winter??| Next thread: Composting Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: