The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with lavender cuttings please!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by kennyso on August 20, 2006 10:07 AM
Could someone give me a crash course on lavender cuttings? I really need dried lavender once school starts to help releive stress. I figured growing some would save me money. some one help?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by joclyn on August 21, 2006 08:23 AM
cut the stems and then tie string around the ends and hang them, upside down, in a dark area. make sure there is a good amount of air circulation so that they dry out (and don't get moldy).
by kennyso on August 21, 2006 09:03 AM
thanks...ok, now that I know how to save the bud, I'l hopefully get better slep. Does anyone know how to propagate by cuttings?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by joclyn on August 21, 2006 04:57 PM
sorry, i don't know how to propogate by cuttings. i'd think you should be able to cut a stem off and root it in water tho...

try the aromatherapy products from healing garden

i've got the whole line of the lavendar relaxation stuff. bath salts, candles, moisturizer...i love it all!! they even have a few items that you can carry with you (little spray bottle that will fit right in your bag) so that you can use it whenever it's needed.

you might be able to find the products in stores in your area - you'd have to call the company tho as the website only lists stores in the us. if there aren't any, you can always order online.
by joclyn on August 21, 2006 05:00 PM
i just took a look at the website...looks like they don't offer the candle any longer [tears]

yankee candle does a nice lavendar candle.
by Vera_M on October 07, 2006 07:32 AM
This is probably coming to you a little too late but I propagate Lavender (all cuttings for the matter) in straight moistened perlite. Take cuttings that are at least 6" long, remove leaves on the lower half so that you have 4" above the rooting media. Keep the perlite moist by bottom watering and you should have rooted cuttings within 10 days. Once the roots are about 1.5" pot up individually into 2-3" pots with added perlite to give the potting soil extra drainage. DO NOT over-water...not too wet and not too dry. Pot up as necessary, give as much light as possible if growing indoors or plant in the garden. Outdoors in a container or the garden is your best bet for flowering.

Vera
by Bestofour on October 21, 2006 07:38 AM
is lavendula the same thing you're talking about? I plant that in the ground all the time and it doesn't do well. It comes back every year but never gets big.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Vera_M on November 09, 2006 09:10 AM
Lavendula=Lavender.

Depending on what type of Lavender you have it may be a dwarf variety. I have a few that only grow to 14" tall and wide at best. Other's can be cut back to the lowest growth on the stems (8") in spring and come back 2.5 x 2.5 feet in flower.

Vera

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: