The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mint Cuttings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: mint| Next thread: Mint fool »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on August 10, 2006 02:14 AM
I'm sure we have went over and over this information but I've forgotten again. I have mint this year and I would like to take some cuttings to have some of it indoors during the fall and winter. Do I just take a stem and stick it in water? I am so clueless.

And while we are on the subject the mint didn't grow as much as I would have liked it too. Can anyone tell me the optimal soil conditions to improve it's growth?

Thankyou for your assistance.

-
 -
by comfrey on August 10, 2006 03:30 AM
Rich, moist, well drained soil for growing. I am pretty sure you can root them in water...but every book I have says to place cuttings in the soil like you did with your basil cuttings.

-
 -
by tkhooper on August 10, 2006 05:28 AM
Cool thanks for the information Comfrey. That probably also explains why they didn't take off outside too. The soil is not rich nor moist although it does drain well lol. I'll get out there this evening and do a couple of cuttings. Cross your fingers for me.

I think I'll try the one hundred percent compost. The zinnia, peppers and celosia definitely took to it.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on August 11, 2006 06:07 AM
And a sandy soil is liked by most mints...you can also take your mint cuttings and put them in ice cube trays of water and freeze them if you are going to use them in tea or drinks that works well...

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by tkhooper on August 11, 2006 08:00 AM
Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for posting that link about the bread machine instructions. I love that website. Very very informative.

What I'm hoping to do with the mint is make some mint jelly. I went out today and picked up the pecin and another case of pint ball jars with lids and rings. I'm very excited about doing this. I'm getting a half bushel of peachs and going to try canning some jam too. And if I can pull it off I'm going to buy a bunch of apples and do some apple butter too. I love apple butter. And maybe some applesauces. Well can't get ahead of myself. One thing at a time. I have to remember I'll be moving soon so I really have to take it easy.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on August 11, 2006 08:37 AM
Okay TK...now you done it...you have made me want some Applebutter REALLY bad! My dad use to go through jars of it at a time...nothin better on hot bread.... [thumb]

~V~

-
 -

by tkhooper on August 11, 2006 12:02 PM
very true and with the bread machine you know I'm going to have fresh hot bread very often. Yummy.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on August 13, 2006 02:40 AM
TK let me know how your mint jelly turns out...I haven't ever made any but am considering it..I may need your recipe....

~V~

-
 -

by tkhooper on August 13, 2006 09:13 AM
If I can get enough mint from the garden. There wasn't any at the store. And my patch of mint hasn't grown much since I planted it. But I will definitely post it in recipes if I get to do it.

-
 -
by jimmydreams on August 17, 2006 06:59 AM
I have found that mints like "cool" roots...obtained from a good sandy loam. Also the variety also make a difference. I have found the hardiest to be English Mint, Peppermint, Spearmint, Herba Buena, Chocolate Mint and Orange Mint. I found that those that like drier conditions are Pineapple Mint, Apple Mint and Kentucky colonel Mint. Drier does not mean hot sandy soil. When the sun starts heating up sandy soil, the shallow rooted herbs start to suffer. Filtered light will help this if you have any.

Put some "Spice" in your life!
by tkhooper on August 19, 2006 02:43 AM
I definitely have some filtered light. And I have some pineapple mint that isn't growing the way I would like. The Spearmint is doing ok but it's right on the ground and the leaves just aren't big enough to do much with. So I've been just letting it grow and hoping for the best.

I would love to get some chocolate mint. But what I've found around here doesn't really justify being called chocolate mint. Are there different varieties or is it just dependent on how it is cared for? I always have so many questions lol.

-
 -
by jimmydreams on August 20, 2006 01:16 AM
I only know of one variety...actually it's a cultivar of peppermint Mentha piperita 'chocolate'.
There is a very subtle difference between chocolate mint and peppermint, but you should be able to notice a more "peppermint pattie" type flavor in the chocolate mint.

Put some "Spice" in your life!
by samizmama on August 25, 2006 03:07 AM
I have choc. mint..that an gal sended me. its doing pretty well.
It doesn't have any flowers yet. how you know, when its ready?...Do you put in tea, right? I'd love some peppermint, spearmint kind..but haven't found any yet.
mine are planted on one side of my bach porch..gets sun..and some shade.
by tkhooper on August 25, 2006 10:39 AM
I have peppermint and pineapple mint. I think you have to take cuttings and root them. But I'm no expert. I've never done it with mint.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mint| Next thread: Mint fool »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: