The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pieris

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Pictures of some of my cacti| Next thread: Pieris »
Back to Thread index
by nirgidna on May 14, 2005 02:06 AM
I currently live in Wisconsin, where it gets downright cold and nasty, and am trying to landscape my new yard. I would like to plant evergreens near the house, and stumbled upon one called a Red Head Pieris that I really like. However, the leaves dont appear to be regular evergreen leaves - they are relatively soft and appear as though they would not keep all winter. I really want something that will stay green all year; does anybody know if these Pieris plants will keep their leaves all year round in cold climates? I cant seem to find an answer online anywhere...
Thanks!
by tkhooper on May 14, 2005 04:41 AM
From what I could find it's evergreen zone 5 and if you plant close to your house you can usually add one zone to your areas growing zone. It did mention that you should provide winter protection.

Some broadleafed plants like the roddy do keep their leaves throughout the winter and this appears to be a close relative to those. Winter protection was also suggested in the colder growing range and mulching was mentioned.

I'm sorry all I could find were very sketchy articles. And I have NO personal experience with this plant.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pictures of some of my cacti| Next thread: Pieris »
Back to Thread index