The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

when is it best to harvest mint?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: when does garlic split?| Next thread: when is it done? »
Back to Thread index
by prairie girl on June 04, 2006 04:20 PM
I have just to a new house and after weeding and setting new plants in the garden, my hubbie and I came across a huge area taken over by what we now know is of a mint variety. There is a lot of it and we just have to get control before it continues to spread; we would like to harvest what we take down.
It has not flowered yet and is about 1 foot tall in many places.
Should I wait a little longer, or can i start harvesting?

mfkhan
by rubberbandman on June 10, 2006 04:51 AM
my spearmint is about 6 in. long and I'll take leaves from it to eat.

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by prairie girl on June 10, 2006 06:08 AM
thanks for the info...i'll be out to collect leaves soon!!
I might put some into ice cube trays for a nice cool summer drink!

mfkhan
by tkhooper on June 12, 2006 12:31 AM
That's a great use of the mint. I like mint jelly and that's the plan I have for the two types of mint that I planted this year. I have pinapple mint and spearamint.

-
 -
by prairie girl on June 13, 2006 05:47 PM
I just tried chopped mint sprinkled lightly on pieces of watermelon! It was a refreshing change that had a subtle taste, complementing the melon.

mfkhan
by njoynit on June 14, 2006 04:25 AM
Its best picked in the morning.It has more flavor then.You can snip plants and make them bushier.And we won't discuss what hurricanes do do to the seed population. [shocked] [lala]
good in vodka too. [muggs]

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by badplanter on July 03, 2006 05:00 PM
harvest mint leaves when plant is 6-8inches tall. I love mint leaves! so i grow them all the time

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by thomast77 on July 04, 2006 04:10 PM
Since everyone is discussing their favorite ways to prepare mint. Has anyone ever tried Mint Wine. I am a amateur home winemaker and I have run across a few recipes for mint wine and I think I might have a go with it.
by itsbeen15years on July 26, 2006 02:57 PM
I have had mint since I was little and I like to trim it low often and then dry it so I can make mint tea in the winter. We would have huge jars of the dried plant in our cupboard. yum yum
by comfrey on July 26, 2006 05:55 PM
It is better to harvest it before it blooms and like was mentioned in the morning is the best time also. What ever you do...DO NOT MOW IT OR WEED EAT IT DOWN!!!!!!! You will be sorry as that will make it spread more. You can cut stems and all and dry it on the stems or remove the leaves and use it however you choose.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: when does garlic split?| Next thread: when is it done? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: