The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

flowers on my basil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Flowers moved inside for winter| Next thread: Flowers to plant »
Back to Thread index
by MrDuck on June 02, 2006 12:16 PM
I've always been under the impression that I should pinch off the top of the basil plants when they begin to flower. Is this true? What harm do the flowers do? is it OK if I leave them? they are attracting bees - is this a good or bad thing? (surely it's good??!)

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for any help.
by pagarden on June 02, 2006 03:38 PM
i usually let one of them go to flower later in the season. the little white flowers are edible! [Smile] they are particularly good on top of tomato soup! my kids LOVE to pick them off and just eat them. anyhow- after the flowers are gone you can let the stalk dry out and where each flower was there will be 4 little seeds. save them for next year. [Smile]
by DeepCreekLake on June 04, 2006 01:26 PM
The basil slows down after it flowers, dead head it if you want it to make more leaves for your culinary needs.
by corabell on July 09, 2006 12:34 PM
I deadhead mine this time of year to make it more bushy. Later in season I will let it flower.

One who plants a garden plants happiness.
by Deborah L. on July 09, 2006 12:42 PM
Pagarden, that's a neat idea-the basil flowers as a garnish.
My basil is about 2 feet tall now.
I didn't know that about the 4 seeds either.
Thanks ! [Wink]

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 09, 2006 01:41 PM
I've always been told that if they go to seed they will die shortly after that. I have one that is doing that now. the other three I keep pinched back so they will continue to grow. when I want to make additional plants I use cuttings because they are so easy to root.

-
 -
by Triss on July 09, 2006 04:59 PM
Like others, I pinch mine back to get a fuller plant and then let it go to flower and then seed late int eh season so I have seeds for the next season and trading.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by darlene87 on July 11, 2006 08:46 PM
the reason a plant flowers is to preserve itself in a new generation. How, it makes seeds for the next yr. A lot of plants make flowers for different reasons. In flowers and some herbs, to perseve itself for making new plants for next yr., via seeds. Once they make seeds, they taper off growing. Tomatoes and fruit trees and some other plants are making flowers to make fruit. So if you want to have your herbs or flowers keep growing, and not going to sleep, saying I have done what I was planted to do, that is make seeds. Then remove the flowers on herbs and on flowers deadhead after they flower.
Darlene
by njoynit on July 13, 2006 04:27 AM
on the purple basils if you keep the flowers pinched off they will retain their purple coloring and if you let them flower...you get your seeds,but will get the greenish purple casting as the color will change then.There is ONE purple basil that when flowers does not change leaf color& I'd have to find my richters catlog to know which one.

I have my lime basil in flower now& I just love it!It was the only scented basil that grew for me and then was just one seed.Its good in ice water.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Deborah L. on July 13, 2006 02:51 PM
I have a pretty little basil called cinnamon basil that's blooming right now. The flowers are like tiny purple orchids.
Dunno why it's called cinnamon - it smells exactly like licorice.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flowers moved inside for winter| Next thread: Flowers to plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: