The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Damping off Disease

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: damaged rubber plant| Next thread: Dandelion »
Back to Thread index
by Fairy on May 13, 2006 01:32 AM
I don't really understand what causes damping off disease. [dunno] and therefore don;t know how to prevent it!! does it only occru when you have seedlings indoors? Can anyone help? Does it kill your seedlings off completly or can they still grow? [scaredy]
by tkhooper on May 13, 2006 06:22 AM
It's more common inside than outside. And it comes from the seedlings getting wet. And yes they are pretty well done for when they hit the dirt.

What kind of herb were you trying to grow?

Usually if you are using a miniature greenhouse type arrangement to keep the soil moist and you leave it on after the seedling sprouts you begin having damp off disease show up. So take the "tent" "greenhouse" off once the seedlings appear.

It is also more likely to occur if you don't have sufficient light and the seedlings get leggy. Hope some of this information helped some.

-
 -
by waterlilyrb on May 13, 2006 06:22 AM
Hi Fairy, I had heard of damping off disease, knew it was a fungus, but that's about it. I found a site that might be helpful: http://www.gardenersnet.com/atoz/dampingoff.htm

Good luck to you. Hopefully, with this site, you can find out how to prevent it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: damaged rubber plant| Next thread: Dandelion »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: