The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Siriosis (sp?) HELP!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by familyfarm on March 28, 2006 11:17 PM
I really need some help. My mom is going to be 70 this May. Three years ago, when my brother was killed, she all of a sudden developed food sinsitivity and a bad skin rash. The doc says siriosis. Her hands are the worst. They are always bet red, cracked, and VERY painful! She says they feel that they are on fire most of the time. She has tryed EVERYTHING!! I know there has to be somthing she could use to help with this. I was wondering about a salve with plaitain or something. So long story not so short, can anyone give me some ideas about a salve that she could use on her hand to help even for a bit would be good. She is incredably active, but this is starting to wear her out. She dows all sorts of volunteer work for the trail systems here in Washington. This is causing her to not do much anymore, because it hurts so much. Please, please, help.
by ShirlS on March 29, 2006 12:12 AM
Hi there!

I know someone who has psoriasis if that is what you are talking about? If so, there are a few thinsg that have helped her alot.

First is the use of perfumed soaps. They need to be eliminated. She uses dove unscented or unscented baby soap. next the skin needs to be soothed and healed, Bag balm is not the best smelling stuff but has done wonders for her. The other thing is Neutragena hand cream. it is a little pricey and comes in a tube. It is wonderful stuff. Last but not least I have heard pine tar soap is really good for psoriasis also.

Good Luck in finding some relief for your mom. Condolences on your loss.

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by Lorena on March 29, 2006 06:23 AM
Hey,

I would start by detoxing, slowly. There are a number of tasty detox teas out there to choose from. Dandelion teas are bit strong but really help to cleanse the body. It sounds to me like her body is on toxic overload, caused by stress. I would definately remove unnatural hair shampoos, conditioners, and skin lotions, dish soaps, cleaners, anything that gets into the system through the skin quickly, and replace them with natural products. Go to a natural foods store and find a cream with calendula in it... look it up, it's nature's quickist healer and very easy to grow.

Wish you all the best!
Lorena

-
"My Treasures do not clink
together or glitter. They gleam in
the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
by comfrey on March 31, 2006 01:14 PM
Lorena is right, blood purifying (detoxifying) of the body is the key. The other things she mentions would also be helpful.

-
 -
by gardenjunky on April 24, 2006 04:17 AM
My son has a form of eczema/psoriasis on a knee, and an elbow since a small child(hes 15 now), and someone tipped us off to a veterinary product that has sulfur, lanolin and purified water, called Pulvex. It comes in a tin box, you can get it from Jeffers Veterinary supply on the internet. or maybe your agr. co-op would have it, its been around since 1924. It only costs about 5 or 6 bucks; I use it as a base for the herbs like calendula, rosemary, meadowsweet(you can add a crushed aspirin instead),rosehip oil, and grapeseed oil(you can get the oils from a natural food store or the internet...I use Mountain Rose Herbs). The place on his knee went from dollar bill size to quarter size and doesn't crack and scale anymore. Also, what you describe is also a symptom/result of circulatory problems in the elderly and diabetes.....so she needs to see a doctor to rule out blood clots, etc. Hope this helps. [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower] [flower]
by joclyn on April 24, 2006 11:18 AM
home remedies are okay...sounds like this is pretty advanced tho. your mom should really see a good skin doctor!!

my dad has psoriasis. he's had it most of his adult life. stress and diet affect it. plus age - it's getting worse as he gets older (he'll be 75 this year).

he uses a prescription cream for his skin and a prescription shampoo for his scalp. he also uses a pine tar shampoo.

the cream for the skin is just basic lotion that has sulfur mixed in (that's why it's prescription). i don't know what's in the shampoo - he does need to apply it, work it in and then let it sit for about an hour before rinsing it off - it's a once a week or two treatement and he uses the pine tar shampoo in the interim. next time i talk to him i'll double check on the items/ingredients for you.

i agree, the detox (done slowly) sounds like a good thing at the moment - if you're mom is amenable. (my dad's not). then once the detox is done, test different food items to see for reactions.

sounds like she's repressing her anger at the death of your brother - she really needs to come to terms with the situation. stress is the biggest trigger for these types of conditions.

{{{hugs}}} to both of you on the death of your brother!!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: