The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lavender

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Laura's Aloe Vera email?| Next thread: lavender »
Back to Thread index
by rabbit lady on March 24, 2006 04:19 AM
I have a lavender plant someone gave me. It is still in a small pot in the house. It started to get new growth last week and then all the new growth got wilted and died. What could be the problem?
by Deborah L. on March 24, 2006 05:48 AM
Lavendar loves sunlight.
I would try a deep watering and parking it in full sun.
What size pot is it in?

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 24, 2006 05:49 AM
P.S. I love rabbits too ! How many do you have?

-
 -
by rabbit lady on March 24, 2006 11:04 AM
The pot is about 3 1/2 inches square. It was in the sun but my husband said it was getting yellow so I took it off the window ledge and watered it. The main part of the plant is still ok. I will try to plant it in the ground as soon as the weather warms up.

I have a lot of rabbits right now...but not as many as my fellow rabbit breeders. I have 16 right now. That includes the litter of 8. I have 3 does that I keep (a chocolate, sable:the one with the litter and castor-agouti), and 2 bucks (a blue and a blue himalayan). I have a jr buck (black) and a jr doe (blue) that I will be selling. The doe is already spoken for, I'm just holding it till they get a cage. Then I just bought myself a birthday present (my birthday is tomorrow) at the last show I went to on the 18th. I bought a CUTE Netherland dwarf black otter jr buck. I can't stop playing with him! All my other rabbits are mini rex. I want to get a flemish giant in the near future.

Do you have rabbits too?

Thanks for your help with my plant. I put it back in the window for more light. The soil is wet.

What should I do with the wilted and dying new shoots? Remove them or leave them on?
by comfrey on March 24, 2006 12:21 PM
How big is the plant??? And can you post a picture of it? Light may be one part of the problem, but I have another thought in mind about it also.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 25, 2006 03:55 AM
Rabbit lady, my rabbits are wild, they are called Desert Cottontails. I enjoy them so much, and put out lots of foods every evening when they show up.
They don't bother my garden very much because I keep them well fed.
I love them and they are welcome even if they do snack on my plants once in awhile.
Your pets sound great too ! I've seen the giant Flemish on TV. Gorgeous !

-
 -
by rabbit lady on March 25, 2006 05:11 AM
As far as posting a pictures goes....I'm trying to locate the cord to my camera! Somehow it got misplaced [Frown]
It's not that big right now, compared to what I've seen once they get put in the ground. The main branch is about 9 inches long and it bends over the side of the pot. It looks kinda like a small mound. I'm sure it really needs to get in the ground. I've kept it in the pot far too long.

I too have cottontails, but they are eastern [Smile]
The are cute from far away, but up close they are really quite thin and racey looking. I guess I'm just used to seeing my well fed domesticated rabbits.

Thanks for the replies.
by comfrey on March 25, 2006 12:29 PM
I was thinking maybe you may need to repot to a larger pot, plus adding more light should also help.

-
 -
by rabbit lady on March 28, 2006 07:50 AM
IS it too early to put it in the ground outside now? I didn't want to shock it or anything since it has been inside all winter. It will be in the 50-60's this week during the day.
by Deborah L. on March 28, 2006 09:45 AM
Rabbit Lady, I meant to say Happy Birthday !
[clappy]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 28, 2006 09:50 AM
I'd harden the plant off first before putting it right in the ground. Put it outside for a few hours a day and gradually work up so it stays out all day. Lavender is pretty hardy. My mom has lavender all over her yard and we're in zone 5b. Of course it goes dormant through the winter but always comes back bigger, better and even more beautiful than the year before.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 28, 2006 09:54 AM
BTW rabbit lady..I have a bunny..his name's Jack..how original huh? [perplexed]

-
 -
by rabbit lady on March 28, 2006 10:35 PM
Thanks for your help. I will start putting the plant out during the day. The days are nice but the nights get a bit chilly. When can I start to leave it out 24-7?

Deborah, Thanks for the birthday greeting! [Smile]

What kind of rabbit is Jack?
I got a new rabbit for my birthday. A netherland dwarf! He is ADORABLE! His name is Boris.
by Deborah L. on March 29, 2006 06:42 AM
YW, Rabbit Lady.
Jack, good one, Christina !
We should all start a rabbit column !

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 29, 2006 08:27 AM
quote:
What kind of rabbit is Jack
Um?? White?? [dunno] I'm really not sure. Maybe you can tell me. There's plenty of pics posted of him down in the critter corner.

As far as leaving it out 24/7..I'd just let the plant tell me. When it seems to be tolerating the outdoor conditions fine...I'd leave it. What's the weather like there rabbit lady?

-
 -
by rabbit lady on March 29, 2006 11:57 AM
OK, I found the critter corner and pictures of Jack. That is crazy how your cat and dog don't bother your rabbit! I love it! How did you manage that?

Anyway, I think from looking at the pictures that he could have some satin in him, but he is, I'm pretty sure, a mixed breed. Where did you get him? How old is he? His ears are pretty short. He must have some dwarf in him as well. Hard to say with the mixed breeds.

You have quite the little clan of pets. Neat that they seem to get along so well. Does he live in the house?
by rabbit lady on March 29, 2006 12:00 PM
The weather here this week has been in the 50-60 range during the day and the night it gets down to 30-40 range. I didn't put the lavendar out today. It seemed a little too cool. I really need to get it in the ground soon. It's starting to look real bad. But it got pretty bad before and it came out of it.

I guess I have been slow to put it in the ground because I don't know where I want to put it. Remember I didn't buy this, my neighbor gave it to me.
by ChristinaC on March 29, 2006 10:38 PM
I got Jack at our local petting animal farm. I took my nieces there for the day and they were selling them for $5.00. The girls just looked at me with those sweet eyes and I thought, "what's five bucks??" Well 5 bucks turned into hundreds on vet bills because Jack became very sick just after Christmas. I've spent more on that rabbit than all my animals put together! [nutz] So worth it though!!!
Jack is almost 2 and he roams free in the house..is litter trained, and gets along with all my animals just fine. One big happy family.

As far as your lavender goes, I know Angelblossom grows lavender and they're just beautiful. Perhaps PM her and she could give you some better advice.

Christina

-
 -
by angelblossom on March 30, 2006 07:36 AM
[wavey] Hi Rabbit lady I don't know what variety of lavender you have But I put mine in the ground in MMM Jan I think Of course Tx is a far cry from Pa winters But we have had a couple of freezes since I just but a bucket over it but my ground was at least 55 degrees when I planted it

Here are some thing I do know...

They don't like wet feet, and the more sun and air circulation the bigger they will smile [grin]
They like hair cuts so if you have an branches that are "sprawling" cut it those back 2/3 but don't cut into the woody stock.
When you go to the ground be sure where you place it will get plenty of sun . good drainage,and mix the soil with compost or well aged manure, spread the roots out before planting and mix a little bonemeal with the soil where you spread the roots but don't let the roots touch the bone meal Oh and they like slightley alkaline soil, and hates humidity <which will cause fungus) it will really enjoy 2" of sand used as a mulch on top to reflect heat and light which will give you more blooms.
They like being in rock gardens making sure there is sufficient spacing for good air circulation.
As far as your turning yellow I would suspect too much water as they are drought tolerant.
Oh when you plant them they will enjoy a first good watering of fertilizer. here is a picture of mine a few weeks a go
 -
you'll notice the buds at the bottom I had cut those back 2weeks before that pic and they were as tall as the tall ones but they were beginning to sprawl and fall.. now today here it is...
 -
There are a few I need to cut back now to retain bushiness,and to prevent sprawling. In the fall cut entire plant back until 1-2"'s of green remain and it will come back next year bushier and more blooms.

BUT>> UNTILL you get it in the ground I would cut back all the yellow to 1 good inch beyond where the green meets the yellow and hold the watering and give it plenty of sun direct if possible and as Christina said set it out a few hours a day when it reaches around 55 during day and bring in untill you believe the weather will be constantly 55 and above..
I sure hope this helps [clappy] [kissies] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by rabbit lady on March 30, 2006 11:27 AM
BOY! That was very helpful.THANKS! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] I think it did get too much water. I'll let it dry out a bit. I noticed that one of the branches was getting very dry and brittle...probably dead. I cut if off. Glad they like "hair cuts" [Smile]

When I go to plant it I will refer back to your post. Can I use my rabbit manure when I plant it?

BTW, are you aware of any plants that I should NOT use rabbit manure on?
by angelblossom on March 31, 2006 08:59 AM
Rabbitlady I wouldn't use ANY manure that isn't wellll aged at least 2 years if you PM Weezie she can help you more on that then me She,and our friends here guided me thru composting.. I used sheep manure compost mixed with sand .... But I understand manure must be aged before using for planting Just let her know how aged it is and she can help you !!as well as plant use.. for rabbit manure..

Good Idea that you cut it back, I would cut back all yellowing and dry brittle as long as it isn't the wood stock. [thumb]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by rabbit lady on April 05, 2006 08:51 AM
someone told me that rabbit manure is not hot enough to hurt the plants...meaning it wont burn them if it is not aged. I also have a lot of it that is mixed with pine shavings.How can I use this? We are planning to start a veg. garden and need to start working our soil a bit, it's got a lot of clay in it. Can I mix this rabbit manure and pine shavings in it? What else should I add to the soil?
by ChristinaC on April 05, 2006 08:58 AM
I dump my rabbit and guinea pig shavings right in the compost. Manure, wood chips, paper, etc..it all goes in.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Laura's Aloe Vera email?| Next thread: lavender »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: