The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

oregano

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Oregano| Next thread: Oregano Question »
Back to Thread index
by Ivy9 on March 10, 2006 03:52 AM
Hi
what is the difference between Greek oregano and oregano? I have one of each . Greek one is spreading kind whereas the other one is an erect plant. Can you substitute one for the other in the recipes? Also I bought a parsley plant. Is it like cilantro? meaning, once you harvest is it gone?
by tkhooper on March 10, 2006 05:16 AM
I don't know the answer to your questions but I'll be watching this string so I'll know what to do too.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 10, 2006 07:13 AM
Greek oregano has a much more spicy flavour..most say, it's much better tasting than regular oregano...both are perennials. Though cilantro and flat leaf (italian) parsley look very similar..they taste nothing alike! Parsley is very mild..more or less just adding colour to a dish, cilantro has a very distinct flavour, used a lot in asian and mexican cooking. And yes, once you harvest it, it's gone..both are annuals.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 10, 2006 07:15 AM
Oh..and yes..you can substitue one for the other in recipes..or better yet, combine the two. Same taste, one is stronger.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 10, 2006 09:44 AM
I actually like the Greek oregano better...It is lower growing and is more suited for a flower pot. I enjoy the taste of it also, but I would grow both and decide for yourself and If you don't let it flower..and prune it or take smaller harvest off of them...even though each harvest will be small, you will end up with more in the end (in other words the plant's will last longer & so will the harvest.), LOL if that makes any sense.

-
 -
by Herbyann on April 09, 2006 04:13 PM
[Smile] HI, I really like Greek oregano. I'v had lots of oregano's trying to find that taste and odor. Greek fills the bill. It also dries very well keeping its odor and flavor very well.

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]
by tkhooper on April 09, 2006 07:37 PM
Are there any tricks to germinating it? I tried to start some seeds this year and got nothing.

-
 -
by Ivy9 on April 12, 2006 02:41 AM
I bought mine as a plant [Embarrassed]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oregano| Next thread: Oregano Question »
Back to Thread index