The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to grow mint

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: How to grow celery...???| Next thread: How to grow poppies? »
Back to Thread index
by SassyManal on March 03, 2006 01:19 AM
I tried two time before to grow mint and all i get is these little things that look like grass. They never get any bigger too. My dad suggested that maybe i planted them wrong so i did what he said and it still didn't work! I had them a pot inside. Any help would be appreciated. :_
by netty on March 03, 2006 02:27 AM
Hi SassyManal! [wavey]
I wish I had that problem...I have mint popping up everywhere in the yard! I guess it likes to be ignored, dry, and trampled!

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 03, 2006 05:57 AM
Hi Sassy [wavey]
Welcome to the forum! Well, you got it to sprout and that's half the battle. Where did you keep it once it sprouted? What type of soil did you use? How often did you water, did you ever fertilize it, etc, etc...

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 03, 2006 06:07 AM
Mint mutates. You never get the same strain from seedlings. You need to buy starter plants or get a cutting from one of the other members.

What comes from the seed is very small and stays that way. It is a mint and I've added it to teas and such and it is fine. But it never has the look or taste of the original.

-
 -
by comfrey on March 03, 2006 08:34 AM
Cuttings is the way...because the only way you can get true mint only comes from root stock or from cuttings....they root real easy and once you get one or two pieces rooted, you'll always have mint. Mint does like moisture and will live in shade or sun. My hubby found out that you should never mow it over to try and get rid of it [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Cutting it only makes it spread more. That 2 foot circle became a row down the side of the house. I don't have any mint here...But would like to if someone has cutting they want to share. If you live anywhere near a fresh water spring, you can find mint growing near the spring....and just pull up a clump with roots.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on March 03, 2006 08:42 AM
quote:
because the only way you can get true mint only comes from root stock or from cuttings
Really? Strange. I grew Spearmint last year from seed and it has done wonderfully! Why would that be? [dunno]

-
 -
by comfrey on March 03, 2006 09:09 AM
First of all there are a lot of varieties of Mint's (mentha):
Spearmint-(mentha x spicata), Curly Mint, Horsemint, Watermint, Pennyroyal-(mentha saturelioides), Forest Mint, Slender Mint, River Mint, Round leaf mint, red mint, lemon mint, ginger mint, egyptian mint, corsican mint, camhore mint, peppermint, bergamont, lavendar mint, basil mint, vietnamese mint, white peppermint, black peppermint, pineapple mint, apple mint, and variegated apple mint

Most mints produce seeds, but it may not be the same variety as you started with, so propogate by division, root cuttings or runners, Is the best way to grow a true mint.

-
 -
by rubberbandman on March 03, 2006 10:46 AM
I just planted some spearmint seeds yesterday. If I get some to sprout and they dont get very big should I take a cutting of them to grow a bigger plant?

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by rubberbandman on March 04, 2006 11:36 AM
Oh and also how do you take a cutting of mint?

-
people tell me I have the body of a god... too bad its buddah.
by SassyManal on March 04, 2006 12:36 PM
Thxs everyone!! I went out today and got mint, sage, rosmery, rasperry's, rose and yellow flowers. I have them in pots though. Is that okay?
by SassyManal on March 04, 2006 12:41 PM
Oh yeah, when i grew the mint before i put in a pot with store brand soil. I left inside the first time and the second time around i left it outside.
by weezie13 on March 05, 2006 12:07 PM
SassyManal,
What kind of Pot/Container was it???
*ie: Clay, Plastic...*

And what kind of soil was it, did it say?
*ie: Miracle Grow, etc...*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by SassyManal on March 06, 2006 10:33 PM
I have plastic pots but i don't remember what kind of soil it was. I know it wasn't miracle grow though. [Smile]
by weezie13 on March 06, 2006 10:48 PM
Mint is really a plant that likes crappy soil,
like plain ole dirt..*in fact, I've had both catnip and peppermint, start in like the gravel from a drive way...

And what I would suggest, if you haven't had luck starting them indoors..
You may have much better luck starting them out doors..

I love doing experiments, what you could do is, take some pots/containers and put some regular potting soil... and another one filled with some regular dirt from your back yard or where ever..
and then also find an area or two where you'd like some mint.. and try it several different ways..
Just place the seeds on top of the soil, maybe press in just to have some contact with the soil.. or sprinkle a very light coating on top with some fresh sifted compost or seed starting soil, and see which way is easier for you or the plant to start...

Seeds starting outside on the soil, sometimes can be a stronger plant in the long run...

Also....mint can be invasive, and you may want to keep the mint in a big barrel like container...
so, try it several ways and see what your out come is....

And pleasssssssssssssse keep [gabby] us posted [critic] on how you do, we [Cool] love [Love] updates [critic] ..

And don't hesitate to keep asking questions,
thats' the way we allllll learn [teacher] !!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by dodge on April 04, 2006 08:47 AM
Are you folks talkin about spearmint? Good heavens it grows so thick here, we have to cut it with a sickle.........Hard to kill if it takes.
Nice smell is all I think.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Amber J on April 06, 2006 06:04 AM
Does anyone have a cutting I can have?? I can NOT seem to get the seeds I am buying to grow!
by plantingnewb on July 05, 2006 04:57 PM
I have tons of lemon mint, its growing all over.
In the beginning of spring our whole garden was full of it, before we planted vegetables.
I guess whoever lived in our house before planted it and since it is so invasive, it has spread all over.
I cut it down in early spring and it must have grown 3 ft. already. It is spreading more, so I guess I have to dig them out.
Any advice on how to get rid of it?
Tammy
by Deborah L. on July 05, 2006 06:51 PM
Plantingnewb and Comfrey, by lemon mint do you mean lemon balm?
I have never seen lemon MINT and am interested in this herb.

-
 -
by plantingnewb on July 06, 2006 06:36 AM
I'm not sure.
My mother in law told me it was lemon mint.
What is the difference?
Would a picture help?
Tammy
by Deborah L. on July 06, 2006 08:10 AM
A picture would be great, it would show me whether you have lemon balm or some kind of mint I haven't heard of.

-
 -
by plantingnewb on July 07, 2006 04:14 PM
Here's a pic, let me know what you think.
Lemon Balm??

I spent a long time digging up roots yesterday.
Was not fun and there is more. [Eek!]
Tammy
by Deborah L. on July 08, 2006 04:31 PM
Looks like lemon balm.
Mystery solved and thanks, Tammy !
Sorry it's a real pain to eradicate it.
Hang in there !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: How to grow celery...???| Next thread: How to grow poppies? »
Back to Thread index