The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Indoor Herbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: My Indoor Herbs| Next thread: My indoor plants have bugs!!! »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by ChristinaC on January 21, 2006 03:25 AM
My herbs that I decided to grow indoors have been at a "stand-still" for quite some time now. They're healthy looking..very green, not leggy but they just aren't growing anymore. Perhaps they need more light?? I have them in my kitchen under a fluorescent light bulb. I don't over or under water them...I feed them...I'm stumped! [dunno]

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 21, 2006 04:29 AM
they'll do that for awhile and then seemingly overnight they'll like double in height. It's amazing.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on January 21, 2006 10:29 AM
quote:
they'll do that for awhile
Yes I know...everything I start from seed goes through that "stand-still" stage but this seems like it's been going on a looooong time.
Tammy..you have your herbs in a sunny window? How do they do? I still haven't been able to use any of mine yet. I picked a couple basil leaves to garnish my tomato soup but thats about it. The cilantro is doing fine. The thyme and oregano is far from being ready to use.
I think I'm gonna' head to Walmart tomorrow and get a stronger bulb.

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 21, 2006 11:49 AM
Cilantro will take off after awhile. Thyme and oregano I've never had any luck sprouting. I probably love them to death. I'm guilty of that alot lol. Yes mine are in a sunny east facing window. And it has stayed pretty warm down here this year. It's very strange. I'm afraid the summer will be over 100 degrees all year. I've been harvesting my basil for quite awhile but I started it mid summer so it's much older than your plants. The same with the chives and green onions. They were actually started last spring and brought inside at the end of summer. And that's about all the herbs I'm doing this year. I lost the parsley to spider mites in the fall which really upset me so I didn't start anymore. I've just started the par-cel and it has sprouted but it's just green dots on the soil so far lol.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 21, 2006 01:12 PM
Christina...What are you feeding them??? You are right they may need more light, or possible they need more warmth??? Oregano is very easy to sprout and grow, but it is a slow grower even outdoors, so be patient and I am sure you will be rewarded.

-
 -
by Bestofour on January 22, 2006 08:39 AM
Wonder if I try herbs on my screened in porch when it gets a little warmer. It doesn't get direct sun. Will that be ok? I'd like to have oregano, rosemary, and can I do basil in pots rather than the ground? I had a huge rosemary that stayed outside all year until it got water logged a while back during some torrential rains. Will rosemary get to big for the porch? What do you guys do with sage?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by tkhooper on January 22, 2006 09:08 AM
Basil will do fine in a pot. That's usually how I keep mine.

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 09:24 AM
Doesn't pinching them make them start to grow
or send out a growth hormone inside of them,
cause your pinching them????? [dunno] ????

Are they at the age/stage where you can pinch them???

And how long do you have the light on for each day???

How tall are they???

And what size containers are they in????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ChristinaC on January 22, 2006 09:44 AM
Here's a pic. I do pinch them. The basil needs to be potted up and planted deeper obviously. I leave the light on for about 16 hours a day.
Left to right: Basil, Cilantro, Oregano, Thyme

-

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 09:57 AM
What's the drainage like on those pots???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on January 22, 2006 10:19 AM
They have drain holes. I got the pots at the dollar store, 2 for .50 cents but they didn't come with little trays...I was using plastic lids for awhile but I'm very careful about over watering, I haven't had any drainage...well...once...and it just dripped on to the counter. [perplexed] I'm actually not too crazy about them..might hafta' take another trip to the dollar store.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on January 22, 2006 10:20 AM
Where did my pic go?

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 10:20 AM
Why I asked is they sorta looked moist..

but if they have holes..

the next question would be,
What kinda soil is it in?????

P.S. Love the pots though, they are very cute..

I might change to a clay pot with them...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on January 22, 2006 10:23 AM
 -

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 10:25 AM
I saw your first pictures....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on January 22, 2006 10:27 AM
I believe I used Schultz Moisture Plus Potting Soil. Do you recommend something different?

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 10:32 AM
That might one of the problems..

Herbs like to be dry*ish* and that moisture plus soil mix holds alottttt of water cause of the polymere crystals in it....

Most herbs, as I've read up on, like a drier,
stoney type soil.. almost like a crappy soil actually with some kind of compost type incorporated...*but that is outdoor gardening*

I am not an indoor gardener, so I am sorta not 100% sure what kind to recommend...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on January 22, 2006 10:38 AM
Well..I'm thinking I should repot them all into clay pots and purchase a different soil, though I still think they need more light!! When I started them last year, they grew wonderfully..of course, I didn't grow thyme and oregano.

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 10:41 AM
Yes, lighting is important...

Sometimes mirror's behind your plants,
so the light you have reflects twice it's
lightening, helps alot with that...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on January 22, 2006 10:50 AM
I love your pots. I think the basil is getting to much water. That's what mine looked like when I over did it. The cilantro looks fine. Mine got like that and then shot up the flower stems. No more cilantro leaves grew. Everything went into seed production. But I had a very nice crop of coriander lol.

Thanks for the mirror idea weezie. I may have to try that.

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 10:54 AM
quote:
Thanks for the mirror idea weezie. I may have to try that.

Noneofyourbusiness also helped with the mirror reply.......
Because I used to recommend TINFOIL....
but he said with electricity/lighting, that's not
always a great idea... [shocked] [shocked] [shocked] [shocked]

I agreed with that idea... [shocked] [lala] [Embarrassed]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on January 22, 2006 11:07 AM
Here is what I think..First of all you need larger pots, and on the Basil- plant it deeper then it is now it will put off more roots and grow better, Too much moisture will be bad for them also, If it was me I would when repotting use a dirt potting or soil mixture without moisture or plant food additives, reason for this is because your plants can't dry out enough between waterings, and the time released plant food will cause them to grow too much or not grow right, Miricle Grow added to the water once in awhile will make your plants healthier also. But it looks like you have done great in spite of these things [thumb] [thumb] [thumb] It really doesn't matter what kind of pot you use, if it has too many drainage holes just duck tape over a couple of them,or you can also place a piece of paper towelor newspaper in the bottom to slow the water drainage, if that is a problem.

-
 -
by Bestofour on January 29, 2006 02:59 AM
I bought some rosemary and parsey seeds to plant indoors. I'm confused though. The last time I planted rosemary I put it in a big pot outside and it stayed outside summer and winter for years without dying and it was huge. What finally killed it was torrential rain for days and I think it got water logged. Does it stay small if you leave it inside?

-
 -
by tkhooper on January 29, 2006 05:40 AM
Good luck with your parsley and rosemary. I don't know the answer to your question Best. I can't even get the stuff to sprout lol.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 29, 2006 12:48 PM
I can't answer your question about Rosemary either as I have never been able to get it grow for me, But the size depends on the pot, it will only grow as big as the pot allows, I have seen pretty large ones indoors.

-
 -
by Bestofour on January 30, 2006 06:04 AM
I think I might put the rosemary back outside then. That pot is empty. How about the parsley and I think I got dill. What else do you guys use in cooking? How 'bout oregano? Does it do well inside?

TK, with your green thumb it's hard to believe that you can't grow herbs.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 30, 2006 08:40 AM
You could try oregano inside..it kind of vines so in a hanging basket where it will get plenty of light would be good for it. I wouldn't grow dill indoors it gets too tall.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on January 30, 2006 08:51 AM
Hi.. [wavey]
Just wanted to let you know that I transplanted my herbs and changed to a dryer soil and they're doing awesome!!

My basil, cilanto and oregano are doing great. The thyme is still slow moving but appears very healthy, guess I'll just have to be patient.

Bestofour..I've grown Dill indoors, it's one of the easiest to do! By time it gets too big, you'll be well into summer to bring it outdoors. I just started some today.

I'll post a pic of my herbs soon. It's just a matter of me getting off the couch to take a pic and I'm really comfy right now. [Wink]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on January 30, 2006 09:07 AM
Okay...I got off the couch..Here's the pic.

-

The thyme is the last one on the right..like I said, it's healthy just slow moving.

-
 -
by Bestofour on January 30, 2006 10:36 AM
Will you eventually move all those outside?

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 30, 2006 11:14 AM
Christina,
I can really see a change in them, and it's only
been a few days hasn't it????
I'm glad....
***When summmer comes and if you garden outside,
get some Lemon Thyme...you will just love it,
it's a great picker~upper!!!***
And try all of those different scented mints....
They have such nifty~neat scents now and are great for the "aroma theropy... especially lemon and sweet smelling one's...
See if Jamie can help you in letting you know which one's he likes....
There's pineapple and chocolate and regular mint one's..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on January 30, 2006 09:02 PM
I love chocolate mint but last year the nursery wanted 5.00 for a little starter plant and I just was not going to pay that. I don't have a problem with all herbs just some. Rosemary being the worst lol. Parsley is pretty easy and I love the look of it when it comes up. I just haven't planted any since I lost my last bunch to spider-mites. Right now I have par-cel sprouting instead of the parsley but I'll plant more after that gets going well. Cilantro I'm going to direct sow outside in two week increments because it really doesn't need to be started early and it does well with little or no care. And it sounds like that's what I should do for the rosemary too. It might be better off if I leave it alone rather than loving it to death.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on January 30, 2006 10:30 PM
Bestofour, I will probably bring the herbs outside late spring but I will always be starting fresh basil and cilantro. I use it very often. Thyme and oregano are both perennials so I'm hoping they'll take off in the garden so I'll have a fresh supply every summer and they both dry well for winter use.

Weezie, I've grown chocolate mint and apple mint and yes they have a beautiful scent but I was stumped when trying to make them useful in cooking so this year, I'm just going to stick with common mint, again another perennial so I should have a good supply every summer.

Tammy, I'm not familiar with par-cel?? I'm assuming it's much like parsely? I'm not growing parsely this year, just doesn't have the robust flavour I'm looking for..yes it adds nice colour when cooking...maybe I should try the italian parsley (flat-leaf) rather than curly...I did hear it has more flavour.

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 30, 2006 10:52 PM
quote:
Weezie, I've grown chocolate mint and apple mint and yes they have a beautiful scent but I was stumped when trying to make them useful in cooking so this year, I'm just going to stick with common mint, again another perennial so I should have a good supply every summer.

Borage is fun in salads...They are bright blue..(the flower)
and supposedly taste like cucumber.. I'm not sure, they're light, but a very faint cucumber..
you can also brighten ice cubes with them...

And the mints can be used in teas...

And I am a big flower picker, so I basically enjoy the smell in a bouquet...
*especially when I'm picking them*

Keep the lemon thyme by your front door when you walk in.... rub your hand over it and it's instant LEMON!! [grin] [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by ChristinaC on January 31, 2006 07:32 AM
My mom has lemon thyme in her garden and she never does anything with it...what a shame. She also has 4 big beautiful bushes of lavender. Everytime I go to her house, I rub my hands all over it...I just love it!!! I'm thinking I'll get a couple cuttings from her this year...or maybe just dig up an entire plant! [Wink] Think she'll notice?

-
 -
by Bestofour on January 31, 2006 07:35 AM
Weezie, I like that idea about lemon thyme. I'm going to try and find some to put by my door.

TK, I think I'll wait and put the rosemary outside too.

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 31, 2006 08:57 AM
If you go and look up the aroma theropy
scents, lemon is supposed to be for Happy, Invigorated Feelings..
Citrus is the highest for good thoughts or something like that..

Why do you think it's the main scents in dishwashing soaps and how orange is a fast riser..

The lavendar is for soothing..

But if you keep that Lemon Thyme by the door..
you'll be smelling it everytime you touch it..

The kind I have is Gold Variegated Lemon Thyme,
and it's green and bright yellow.. Just happy looking..

There is also a Lemon Thyme Silver Queen,
which has pink hues in it.. *I've never had it, but it looks lovely*

Also, there is some kind of ground cover Thyme,
that's very low growing and can be put in the cracks of a stone walk way, and when you walk on it, it's supposed to release it's scent...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on February 09, 2006 11:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
If you go and look up the aroma theropy
scents, lemon is supposed to be for Happy, Invigorated Feelings..
Citrus is the highest for good thoughts or something like that..

Why do you think it's the main scents in dishwashing soaps and how orange is a fast riser..

So that's why they put the scent in the dishsoap ...Happy Thoughts about dishwashing????? [Frown] no way, never Happy thoughts when it comes to dish washing no matter what the scent is! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by tkhooper on February 09, 2006 10:31 PM
Par-cel is a hybrid mix of parsley and celery. It looks like parsley but tastes like celery. I can't wait to try it. And it has come up with no problem very much like parsley. I am so ready to start my spring planting outside. You can tell I'm itching to get outside can't you lol. Oh well, soon.

-
 -
by tkhooper on February 09, 2006 10:49 PM
Well we are talking about our beautiful baby herbs I need to mention my cinnamon basil. I'm so proud of it. I had to move the plants around so that I could make space for the basil. It has gotten so big that even after trimming it is still two feet tall with the planter included. So now it has a place in the 4 foot high window. This way I can let it grow more and get larger leaves before I have to prune. I just wanted to share that because I'm so proud of it.

-
 -
by comfrey on February 10, 2006 01:38 PM
That is great your plants are doing so well Tammy!

-
 -
by comfrey on March 02, 2006 01:39 PM
Christina...How are your herbs doing????

-
 -
by tkhooper on March 02, 2006 10:14 PM
Well the last of the green onions went outside today. I know it's not a herb but I use it the same way I use the chives. They are going outside next. And then the garlic. All three handle cold weather reasonable well.

-
 -
by pagarden on March 08, 2006 11:55 AM
hi guys! today i got antsy about spring and decided to clean up some of my potted herbs. i brought my mint indoors, took it out of the pot, pulled lots of roots out so it wouldn't be so crapmed, repotted it and added a bit more dirt. should be sprouting soon indoors huh? i cleaned up my parsley (it's a biennial right? and this is the second year so it should grow correct?) and brought it indoors to get a head start on growing. my chives are amazing! i brought them in a week or so ago and they are about 8 inches tall! i divided the clump today and gonna give some to a friend tomorrow. from seed i planted cilantro, dill, and basil. i can't wait to see it all start growing! i am so ready for winter to leave!
by weezie13 on March 08, 2006 09:21 PM
I gotta find me a heater, you guys are k!llin'
me here, you're all starting your seeds, and
I have got at least a whole month to start mine... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on March 09, 2006 03:13 AM
Weezie I know the feeling...I have been having it since Tammy first started all of her stuff and then many others to follow. But now I started a few...not going gung ho..as it is a bit early here also. But keeping the feelings at bay. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 09, 2006 06:37 AM
Oh trusttttttt me I do...
I know what it can be like to have leggie plants..
And I swear that's more of a pain in the butt..
to do all of that work, early and to only have the plants not do well..
So, I do keep them at bay, justttt dreamin' of
being able to get in that green house...
I have been eyeballin' a heater, but... Santa didn't bring it to me...waaaaaaaaa

Besides, most of my compost is still frozen, and when I start seeds, I have to mix up wheelbarrows full of compost and seed starting mixes, I don't even think my wheelbarrow is out of the snow yet..
[Roll Eyes] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 09, 2006 10:30 PM
Well although I get to start early I pay for it with a summer when I can hardly step outside because it's so hot. So I guess there are trade offs everywhere.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 09, 2006 10:35 PM
Yes, that's true Tammy....
and I just look at it as an opportunity now
to do some more reading up on stuff that I so
love to do...
(I do the same thing when it's so humid here at like noon, stay indoors and read some) [critic] [thumb] [flower] [flower] [flower] [grin] [Cool]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 10, 2006 12:06 AM
Well you know what I do. Wonder the site looking for people to talk to lol. I used to read alot but I don't see well enough to do it for very long any more. Now I read pretty much for a specific purpose but other than that I leave it alone. I'm lucky that the monitor doesn't give me the same problem that the printed page does. I don't know what I'd do if that happened.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My Indoor Herbs| Next thread: My indoor plants have bugs!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: