The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chia herb garden Q

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Chia herb garden Q| Next thread: chia pet, cat grass »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by Oui on December 31, 2005 08:59 PM
Okay last Christmas I wanted a chia herb garden. I received 2. I have never grown herbs in my house. And still have not opened the boxes. I want to put a small shelf on my kitchen window. And, put the plants there. The window is Southern exposure. And, gets good sun during the day. Cold air does come in through that window in winter. My questions are: When is the best time to start a little indoor herb garden? Will the coldness from the window cause problems with growth? I know the seeds will have to get warm to sprout.
by tkhooper on December 31, 2005 10:24 PM
most herbs can be started just about anytime indoors. I have a single pane window that I grow mine in front of and it hasn't bothered them yet. Although from what I've read I really should have them back from the windows a bit to avoid that draft. My main problem is keeping it humid enough and not killing them with damp off or however that's written. I've done forgot.

-
 -
by Oui on January 01, 2006 06:08 PM
Tkhooper: I use to live in Spotsylvania. Did you get snow on or around Christmas this year?? I remember we always got snow around Christmas Day and around New Years Day. Just wondering.
by tkhooper on January 02, 2006 03:42 AM
This year we got some snow very early but none on or around christmas. We had the cold but it was dry. Then when it would warm up we would get the percipitation in rain lol. Christmas day is was 50 degrees here if you can believe it. I've got hollyhocks that are trying very hard to sprout new leaves. I keep telling them not yet but their not listening and I can't say I blame them.

-
 -
by Oui on January 02, 2006 06:52 PM
Well that is what I was wondering about. I know it is typically colder up there then here. So I think my herbs will be okay..Now I just need to get the shelf up and open the year old boxes to get started.. "Sigh" I think I procrastinated on the herbs a little.
Thanks
by tkhooper on January 02, 2006 10:02 PM
Good luck. I'm getting ready to plant some of my par-cel. It's a parsley/celery hybred(sp). It's only suppose to need a 6 inch pot at maturity so I figure if it matures early I still have space for it lol.

-
 -
by Oui on January 10, 2006 10:43 PM
I am sad and embarrassed to say I have not opened the boxes yet. I wonder if the seeds are any good anymore. I really need to get a burr under my butt about this.
by Oui on January 13, 2006 08:22 PM
Okay I finally open the Chia Herb Garden box and started some herbs...

I think the Chia set up is cool and EASY for amateurs such as myself.

The dirt was like big pieces of sponge...kinda weird..

The kit had 4 cute little clay pots with saucers..dirt shaped like the pot 6 packets of seeds, little plastic pot labels..(this I thought was a nice attention to detail) and instructions..

Hummm can't wait to see how I did...
by ninniwinky on January 14, 2006 12:01 AM
Oh good luck!! Please let me know how you make out, I always wanted a chia herb Garden!! Does it say how long until you can use the herbs?

Thanks!!
Ninni
by Oui on January 14, 2006 08:54 PM
I haven't read that far into the directions...hummmm "directions I don't need no stinkin' directions"...<<smile>>
by weezie13 on January 15, 2006 03:47 AM
I always wanted one to...*wink~wink*
they looked like fun....

**I had the Chia head of "Einstien".....
It was fun watching them grow.. took a wee~bit
but finally got them growing...

For that one, after the seeds grow and grow and grow.. there's not much to them... I kinda let them dry up...

But the herb garden sounded more fun..

Keep us posted on how you do Oui.. would love to know..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Oui on January 15, 2006 10:37 PM
I'll Post pictures when and if they start growing...I had the boxes in a kitchen cabinet for a year...I hope the seeds are still ok...The little terra cotta pots are SOOOOO CUTE.
by Oui on January 21, 2006 03:09 AM
 -

My Herbs are sprouting !!!!!

Have a little mold on one so I scraped it off trying not to disturb the seeds or sprouts.

The chives have not sprouted at all..
by comfrey on January 21, 2006 01:18 PM
I am happy that your herbs sprouted, but that mold will proable kill the plants...The mold is caused from too much moisture (watering too much). This is my suggestion if its not to late: Get some potting soil and transplant the little sprouts without the dirt they are in, and some of the plants may make it...But don't over water!!!!

-
 -
by Oui on January 21, 2006 11:02 PM
Okay...Thanks for th advice..I covered the pots with ziplok bags per the instructions. I think the ziplok bags caused some of the problem. I have not watered them at all since I started them.
by comfrey on January 23, 2006 11:12 AM
Yes you are right the ziplock bags did cause the problem...I use ziplock bags when starting seeds also, but you need to open the bag if moisture builds up inside...Too much moisture then causes the mold, I have had this happen a couple of times and I just toss bag soil and all and start over, unless it is some rare seed and then I try to save the seedlings, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

-
 -
by Oui on January 23, 2006 10:40 PM
I soaked the "sponge ground" in water with a little bleach in it. And then soaked the chia sponge dirt in clear water. Yep the chia dirt is like a big dirt sponge..<smile> They are still soaking.

I Am going to reuse the sponge dirt after I get done rinsing the bleach out.

I have more seeds. I will put a small vent in the bags next time. <<SIGH>>>
by comfrey on January 31, 2006 10:33 AM
Well what happened..Did your plants make it or are you starting over???? Don't give up!

-
 -
by Oui on February 01, 2006 08:35 PM
I started over because of the mold thang....They are sprouting again...The little "sponge ground" is kind of irritating. When I water them, trying to put the water on the top of the "sponge ground" , the water runs down to the bottom and the "sponge ground" starts to float...Maybe I will just use potting soil next time. <sigh>
by comfrey on February 01, 2006 11:04 PM
Don't give up...This how we learn from trial and error.

-
 -
by Oui on February 03, 2006 10:19 PM
I won't....I want to put up a little shelf on my small kitchen window so I can line up a variety of herbs there..So I can use them whenever I need to. I use a lot of Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary & Marjoram and I want to start using fresh Chives.

I don't have seeds for those so I am going to go out and buy the seeds after I get my little shelf up.
by comfrey on February 09, 2006 11:18 AM
All of those should be easy to grow except the Rosemary...You might be better off to just purchase a small plant in the spring. I have never been able to get Rosemary growing from seed. The Oregano, Sage, & Marjoram are all easy to grow from seed. What no Basil???? LOL everyone seems to be growing Basil here, I grow the bush Basil, but don't use Basil, I just put some bush basil in a pot and set it somewhere close the door so that every time I go in or out I can stop and brush the plant with my hands for the scent...I love the scent of Basil!!! I renews the soul in my opinion, anyway it is very refreshing.

-
 -
by tkhooper on February 14, 2006 11:26 PM
If the bags got condensation on them and you didn't remove them and air out the plant yes the ziplocs could definitely be the problem.

Did your herbs survive?

I am doing the cling free things with my coral bells and it is such a pain. But the sprouts are so tiny I want to minimize the amount of watering I have to do and the tents do help with that.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 16, 2006 08:15 AM
Hi oui, well on another posts you recommended the av's and the chia herb garden both. (See, guys I am listening) I just set up the herb garden today. Mine is a little dif from your the use 6 types, white plactic pots, just soil and plant food goes in with it. They also provided lapels that are so cute! I bought mine off ebay so I hope I don't have 90 year old seeds. I put clear 9oz solo cups that I bought for the av's and put them on top the fit like they were made for it! It even looks good "on top of my fig" like recomeended. I would take a picture if I wasn't such a big loser with out a digital! Well let us see how your guys are doing...

-
 -
Kitten in Life  - , Tiger in Love  -
by FlowerNewbie on February 16, 2006 08:16 AM
oh yea, it says on mine to take the lid off 1 hr per day to prevent mold... hopefully that will work for me... did you try that?

-
 -
by bakingfool on February 16, 2006 09:20 AM
Hello flowernewbie, I was also listening to comfrey and Oui because I started an herb garden two weeks ago. I got shy jumping in in the conversation because all four pots of mine did not even sprout. I know I followed all the instructions. I don't know what I did wrong. I am starting to think it was the age of the seeds because I bought mine on ebay and did not ask the question before bidding. What is the purity test date on yours? I hope you are luckier than me. Keep us posted please.... [Love] A.
by FlowerNewbie on February 16, 2006 09:21 AM
Where can I find the purity test date?

-
 -
by ChristinaC on February 16, 2006 09:25 AM
Oui is no longer with us..so we won't hear the outcome of her herbs...but please be sure to take over the thread and keep us posted how yours are doing. [thumb]

Christina

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 16, 2006 09:29 AM
oh no... where did oui go?

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 16, 2006 09:32 AM
maybe that question was inappropriate you don't have to answer...

-
 -
by comfrey on February 16, 2006 11:41 AM
Depending on the temperature of the dirt in your pots, if it wasn't warm enough on the fridge it make take longer for germination, Seeds are usually good for 2-3 years past their date. Another factor is not keeping the soil moist enough or too moist, did you uncover the seed to see if it was doing anything??? It may have rotted, if too moist, or you may see signs of germination starting. And like I told Oui...Don't give up just get some fresh seed and try again. Keep us posted on your progress and don't be afraid to ask questions, that's how we ALL learn!!!!

-
 -
by bakingfool on February 23, 2006 08:15 AM
Comfrey, thanks for your input. Aside from the shelflife of the seeds, maybe the temperature of the top of my fridge was also a factor, like you said. For some reason, it is not warm on top of my fridge. I am still thinking where to put it next time. Yes I am not giving up, thanks for the encouragement. I have a new batch of seeds coming. This time, I made sure they're fresh before I placed my bid on ebay.
Flowernewbie, the purity test date is found on the box, I was told. I threw mine away after I set them up so I do not know the date of my seeds that failed to sprout. How are your babies doing by the way? Have they sprouted yet? [Love] A
by ChristinaC on February 23, 2006 08:22 AM
Bakingfool...my fridge isn't warm on top either but I've never had a problem with getting my seeds to germinate. I just keep them right on the countertop. Like Comfrey said...it just may take a little longer. Good luck!

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 24, 2006 12:03 AM
my seeds have sprouted a little! 3 opf them anyway. I usaully keep my house pretty cold cause of the gas bill, but my dad was here for the weekend and turned my house into a furnace. In less then a week they have srpouted!

-
 -
by comfrey on February 24, 2006 06:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by FlowerNewbie:
but my dad was here for the weekend and turned my house into a furnace. In less then a week they have srpouted!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
See there what alittle heat will do. I always just close off one room and use a small space heater, it does cause the electric bill to go up a small amount, but not enough to worry bout, besides it worth having the right conditions to grow all the plants, esp veggies we can eat.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 24, 2006 06:37 AM
yea, just looked at my coleus and it's sprouted to [clappy] !!! My aunt started hers before me and has been doing plants for a long time and hers hasn't even sprouted at all yet! I called her today to brag [tongue]

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 24, 2006 06:39 AM
Oh, and I just ordered a digital cam off ebay today so as soon as I get it this site will be loaded with my pics in all of my different postings!

-
 -
by comfrey on February 24, 2006 07:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by FlowerNewbie:
yea, just looked at my coleus and it's sprouted to [clappy] !!! My aunt started hers before me and has been doing plants for a long time and hers hasn't even sprouted at all yet! I called her today to brag [tongue]
That is so cool [thumb]

-
 -
by bakingfool on February 24, 2006 08:27 AM
After reading the recent posts on this thread, I think I now know what caused my seeds not to sprout at all. See, I live in Guam, a tropical island and I am married to a polar bear. It is pretty hot outside and we keep our home quite cold via centralized airconditioning. There is no escaping from cool air so I just walk around with socks, gloves, and thick suits on. Maybe I will throw my hubby out of the house when my new seeds arrive in the mail. [wavey]

[Love] A.
by bakingfool on February 24, 2006 08:34 AM
Flowernewbie, maybe your auntie and I should meet up for drinks so we could exchange notes on what we did wrong. Looking forward to see the pics of your baby herbs. [Love] A.
by FlowerNewbie on February 24, 2006 08:57 AM
quote:
There is no escaping from cool air so I just walk around with socks, gloves, and thick suits on. Maybe I will throw my hubby out of the house when my new seeds arrive in the mail.
[grin] [Smile] Perhaps you should tell him he's on the wrong side of the equator! [Big Grin]

I have the opposite problem. It's really pretty cold here and I leave my heat on like 65 to save money. When it warms up I'll probably have it to hot in my house to save money. I need to move to somewhere where it's perfect all the time like cali!

-
 -
by ChristinaC on February 27, 2006 12:32 PM
quote:
I need to move to somewhere where it's perfect all the time like cali
Can I join you? [Wink] [thumb]

Can't wait for your pics!! Isn't it exciting? Every year when I start seeds and see the first sprout, it's always just as exciting!

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 12:31 AM
Oh no [scaredy] !!! Just looked at my coleus today and there was a small patch that had mold [tears] !! I picked off all the visable mold area and removed the lid all together. Will all the rest now perish [sleepy] ??? Boy I'm gonna hear it after all that bragging and then they all die of mold [tongue]

-
 -
by comfrey on February 28, 2006 04:21 AM
If you can remove the seedlings to new dirt, removing as much of the old dirt as possible...Yes they may die, but you might be able to save a few. Too much moisture...The cause of death of most seedlings and small starter plants.

-
 -
by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 04:29 AM
it's weird cause I only watered it the once before I put the seeds in not since and I even removed the lid every now and then [dunno] [Frown] [Mad]

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 28, 2006 06:25 AM
Is the container somewheres' where light
or sunlight gets on it???

sunlight and heat can build up moisture in a
container..
and moist dirt can retain it and/or refuel it
with more moisture.. [dunno] [dunno] [dunno]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 06:31 AM
Well yes it does get some indirect light. I have it sat on a coffee table in the center of a room with a se, s and sw window they all have sheer curtains

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 28, 2006 06:49 AM
What's the temp's of your room it's in???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by FlowerNewbie on February 28, 2006 06:56 AM
Pretty cold the last couple days. My stat say 62 right now... I've got my heater all the way up but it isn't working... I live in an old house with lots of windows that are just as old. When temps get this low the best I can do is bundle up.

ps. Do you think that this weather could be making my av's cry (look sad). If so, any suggestions on how to keep them warm while the rest of us human people in the house freeze. lol (don't say space heater cause I don't have one)

-
 -
by comfrey on February 28, 2006 09:47 AM
How about a lamp near the plants or place the plants under a lamp...the heat and light will help some.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Chia herb garden Q| Next thread: chia pet, cat grass »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: