The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

vanilla orchids

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Vanilla Orchid from seed| Next thread: variagated IVY house plant »
Back to Thread index
by thorns on January 13, 2005 07:44 AM
has anyone had sucess with growing vanilla orchids. i've killed two already and really would prefer not to have the third suffer any more than necessary. any help will be most appreciated. thanks
by orchidss on February 21, 2006 09:58 AM
my vanilla lasted 3+ years
and died when I had to leave it with a friend for 4 months while I was on the east coast.
They like warm humid environment and a lot of indirect light. I created a humidity box using 1/8 inch Plexiglas glued together and with a lift off lid. It had a 'pool of water' to help with humidity. they like to climb so at least to start provide support then they cling to the plexi. they can grow in light soil.

I've been looking for a replacement for my vanilla but my local orchid grower/seller got bought out by a housing development.

Vanilla has to get very large to produce flowers.
by tkhooper on February 22, 2006 05:51 AM
That is soooooo tempting. But I don't think I am ready for orchids yet.

-
 -
by Patty S on February 22, 2006 03:09 PM
Tammy, don't think that way! Orchids are really NOT that hard, trust me! You mainly just have to "think outside the box" & NOT keep them in water! (They DO need moisture, but letting the roots stand in water constantly can cause root rot. PRETTY WEIRD, HUH? [shocked] ) I'm a rookie at Orchid keeping, but I've gotten several "dumped into my lap" since November, & they've been blooming for me & I haven't killed any yet!

I don't know enough about the different types of Orchids, to fill a thimble, but I know that there are literally HUNDREDS of types! Only owning 4 out of those hundreds, I'm not sure how their care varies from type to type, & don't know that I know which one would be the Vanilla orchid.

(Thorns, or Orchidss, do either of you happen to have a photo of a Vanilla Orchid that you can post here?)

-
 -
by david633 on April 08, 2006 11:38 PM
anyone growing vanilla orchid and would like to share cuttings with me, please email me.

thanks
dave

Your email address has been edited for your own privacy...

by tkhooper on April 11, 2006 09:24 PM
I think I would truly love to have one of the vanilla orchids but I can't afford to buy one.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 11, 2006 09:30 PM
David,
I edited your email address off of your post...
for your own protection and privacy on the internet...
That way, only the people you want specifically to have your email address, can have it... [thumb] [kissies]

And Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way, we've got a great lil place here, stick around and pull up a chair..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Vanilla Orchid from seed| Next thread: variagated IVY house plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: