The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anyone grow rutabaga?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Anyone Grow Charentais Melons?| Next thread: Anyone have.... »
Back to Thread index
by Wrennie on November 18, 2006 08:05 PM
Has anyone ever grown rutabaga successfully? Is it a slow grower? I'm in Z5. Do I have enough time?

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by reba on November 19, 2006 09:18 PM
I've got rutabaga growing now that I planted last month.It has not had any problems with the light freezes we are having daily.It's in a raised bed and I'm zone 8,still pretty warm here.This is the latest I have ever grown it.I've got to throw some clear plastic across it to protect it from the daily rain we are getting.It has a more concentrated flavor grown drier [flower] I grow it for my husband,I don't like the stuff [Razz] I think you will get very limited growth now but if protected, a very early spring crop.
by obywan59 on November 21, 2006 03:01 AM
I have rutabaga that should be about mature. I think I planted it out back in late July or early August (a little later than usual). Zone 6

It's best to plant it so that it matures in the cooler weather of fall. It needs cold temperatures in order for the best flavor to develop. If you plant seed now, it will mature in summer if at all. Being a biennial, it may simply go to seed after the temperatures warm and not even produce a crop.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Deborah L. on December 04, 2006 12:01 AM
What do you do with rutabaga? How is it cooked?
Same question for parsnips-what do you do with them?
I'm not all that sure what turnips are for either ! [dunno]

-
 -
by mrw on December 04, 2006 04:41 AM
Rutabaga is a large round waxy veg, I always call them turnips. I peel, cut into chunks and boil til tender, takes a while. Drain, mash til smooth, add a little milk, butter, season with some salt , pepper, and a little nutmeg. Either you like them or you don't. We do,it makes a good substitute for mashed potatoes with gravy and meatloaf for example.
by rainie on December 16, 2006 02:56 AM
Rutabega, turnip, and parsnips!

MRW has good avice on rutabega, I like them chopped into chunks in meat pie - they tast like a cross between a potato and cabbage. Yum.

Turnips are my all-time fave... Saute in butter with salt - cabbage-like taste. They are great pickled and raw too.

Parsnips - Yucky to me. But they give soup a good flavor. They tast a little like a bitter carrot/turnit/celery cross.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Anyone Grow Charentais Melons?| Next thread: Anyone have.... »
Back to Thread index