The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I miss the tomato posts !

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Deborah L. on November 07, 2006 08:00 AM
And the green bean and lettuce and corn posts ! And all the good veggies !
Somebody say something-anything !!!! Wah !! [tears]

-
 -
by joclyn on November 07, 2006 08:05 AM
something. anything.

[grin]

sorry! just couldn't resist!!! *runs away before she gets hit!*
by comfrey on November 07, 2006 08:09 AM
It won't be long before people start talking about starting their seeds for the next season, I'm still trying to get my garden in shape...I have 2/3 cleaned up, but we keep having rain and more rain and pretty soon I'll be saying it is too cold to work out in the garden....and it has to get cleaned up very soon.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 07, 2006 09:11 AM
Very funny, Joclyn ! I roared !
Bless you, Comfrey....
Anybody else? [Wink] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by badplanter on November 07, 2006 11:12 AM
I know what you mean... if I don't post in the topic, I've read it... they have all helped me out so much!
Can't wait 'till next year! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by markr on November 07, 2006 06:04 PM
Deb its not all doom and gloom [thumb]
ive just recently planted, onions garlic, and elephant garlic.
next will be broad beans.
and the spring cabbage, cauli, n broccoli i planted a couple of months ago are doing great!
also ive still got my big cabbage, beetroot, n leeks in the ground that are ready to eat [clappy]
and as for the toms, i sometimes sow them early,,
just 6 weeks away!!!
did that help [dunno]

-
Mark
by johnCT on November 07, 2006 08:59 PM
It's that time of the year unfortunately. I put most of my garden to bed for the winter two weeks ago. Still have carrots and leeks going in my root bed though. I put in my seed offer to SSE a couple weeks ago also and am waiting for my absolute LAST tomato to ripen on the counter so I can save it's seeds. My 2007 tomato grow list has 55 varieties on it ALREADY! [nutz]

Let's see, what else.....Planted my garlic recently also. Have a compost bin FULL of shredded leaves and plant material.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on November 07, 2006 10:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
My 2007 tomato grow list has 55 varieties on it ALREADY! [nutz]

-  -  -  -  -  -  -

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on November 07, 2006 11:41 PM
I still have one vadalia onion preparing to winter over and some garlic. Green onions have started making their seed pods but they aren't nearly ready. Hopefully they make it before it gets to cold. I haven't dug up my horseradish root yet but I know I have to do it soon. I'm just wondering where in the world I'm going to store it until I get a new place. I may have to trade lorena for another one.

I have some heirloom purple cluster tiny tomatoes. They sound very interesting and I'm thinking about trying to do them indoors over the winter. But I haven't decided yet. It will depend on where I move to.

And that's my veggie story and I'm sticking to it lol.

-
 -
by obywan59 on November 08, 2006 02:32 AM
I just had my last tomato sandwich on Saturday, the same day I got my first seed catalog!!! (Twilley's). The last picking before frost lasted a lot longer than the big picking I had a month before. I think the difference was that I washed them before laying them out to ripen.

I'm enjoying my best carrot crop ever and just cooked my first fall cabbage last night. I also have lettuce, turnips, and mache (corn salad) that I've been harvesting. I haven't harvested any of my broccoli or rutabagas yet. I got them out a bit late, but they are about ready. I don't think the cauliflower is going to make it though. My garlic and elephant garlic has been out for several weeks now.

Yesterday was the last planting day of the year. I planted my shallots and potato onions and some lettuce to overwinter for the first spring crop. My seedling onions were planted the first week of August and are doing fine. They'll soon need to be covered for the winter. My winter rye is up also. It's not doing much right now, but when the weather starts warming in March, it'll start going to town.

My next planting day is January 1, when I'll plant my extra-extra early tomatoes.

Tammy, I just leave my horseradish in the ground all winter, only digging it as I need it. It's only when the temperatures are starting to warm up that I'll dig it to store in the fridge as that's when it will start to lose it's heat.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by mrw on November 08, 2006 04:04 AM
I still have some tomatoes in the basement I picked and wrapped in newspaper while they were green. Quite a few have turned red, and though are not as tasty as in August, they are edible and probably better than some of the supermarket ones. I have my seeds all ready for next year (saved my own) . Have a peaceful winter.
by Deborah L. on November 08, 2006 07:58 AM
I'm loving these posts and it's cool of all of you to post for me !
Keep 'em coming !

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 08, 2006 08:01 AM
Markr, whatever happened with the greenhouse potato idea?
Tammy, what does a Vidalia taste like? Can you believe our stores never have them? At least I've never seen one.
Oby, what's a potato onion?
Gosh, all the posts are great !

-
 -
by Bestofour on November 08, 2006 09:10 AM
I got a medium sized bell pepper off a plant before the frost the other day.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 07:28 AM
Friends, don't laugh, but....
I don't really understand this seeds overwintering thing you talk about.
Do you mean you plant seeds and that they're frozen under the snow all winter? And come up on their own?
Wouldn't the melting snow wash the seeds away? I don't get it !
Deb....you don't get out much do ya.... [dunno]

-
 -
by markr on November 09, 2006 08:09 AM
Deb i didnt get em in [Roll Eyes]
sorry to disappoint, was busy fishing again [lala]

-
Mark
by roflol on November 09, 2006 08:35 AM
Deb, don't feel bad... I'm reading this page wondering what language these people are speaking... ;-)

We just pulled up our 3 tomato plants yesterday from our teensy garden, with several frost-bitten green tomatoes :-P.

Looking forward to next year, though: Will only put in 2 I think, 3 was crowded. No pumpkins, that was a bust (didn't know there was a difference between male and female flowers, let alone how to tell - where are the back legs to look between???!!! hehe) and the carrots didn't work out so well either. So tomatoes are a keeper, will look for other stuff to try for a kindergartner and a newbie gardener mom.

Keep speaking the greek, maybe I'll pick it up by immersion.

[flower]
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 09:11 AM
ROFLOL ! The way to tell the difference is that boy pumpkins have deep voices and girl pumpkins have high voices !
For pete's sake even I know that !!!
(Kidding). [tongue]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 09:32 AM
And my next I-don't-get-out-much question: What's a "mud room"? Like a playroom for kids when it's rainy and muddy outside?
I know, here it comes.... Deb, what planet are you on....
[Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
by comfrey on November 09, 2006 11:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
And my next I-don't-get-out-much question: What's a "mud room"? Like a playroom for kids when it's rainy and muddy outside?
I know, here it comes.... Deb, what planet are you on....
[Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed]

A mud room is like a small room or hall that you enter into from outside....It is where your muddy shoes/boots are taken off, coats are hung etc, before entering the main part of the house and that way its(mud & snow) not tracked all over the house.

-
 -
by comfrey on November 09, 2006 11:23 AM
I am still pulling carrots as I need them from my garden, and I also found a few green onions I had missed, so they were a nice find also.

A vadalia onion is a very sweet pleasant tasting onion, not like most store bought onions. It has a taste of its own, but very sweet.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 01:51 PM
I'd love to walk outside and pull up a carrot !
Thanks for the explanation-you mean like an enclosed front porch?
I heard that Vidalia is sweet, I hope to find some sometime.

-
 -
by obywan59 on November 09, 2006 10:56 PM
Deborah, potato onions or multiplier onions are an old fashioned onion that you can keep for years and years without buying any new sets. The key is to plant 2 different sizes.

When you plant the small "onion set" size, they will mature as large 3-4" onions. When you plant the large 3-4" onions, they will split into many "set" size onions which you then save for replanting in fall.

As far as overwintering goes, all the plants will be germinated--my seedling onions are already several inches tall. Onions are very hardy, but I protect them with row covers over tunnels made of concrete reinforcing wire. I put clear plastic over them when it gets really cold, but I'm not sure that's really necessary. Planting onion seed in the fall results in larger, sweeter onions.

The lettuce seed will germinate yet this fall and will overwinter as small seedlings--also with protection.

-
Terry

by johnCT on November 09, 2006 10:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by comfrey:
I am still pulling carrots as I need them from my garden
Me too. This is my first year getting decent carrots since building a root crop raised bed with nice, deep, loose soil. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on November 10, 2006 12:39 AM
Yes John you are correct...When growing carrots it is very important to work/till the soil very deep and remove any rocks that might be present. I make a row that is a hilled up area also. I didn't even thin mine out this past season...So when I pull the ones that I want the others left can still grow and are useable also. I wouldn't suggest anyone do this, the proper way is to thin them when they first come up.

Deborah....Yes an enclosed porch could be considered a mud room or used as the same.

-
 -
by comfrey on November 10, 2006 12:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by obywan59:
Deborah, potato onions or multiplier onions are an old fashioned onion that you can keep for years and years without buying any new sets. The key is to plant 2 different sizes.

When you plant the small "onion set" size, they will mature as large 3-4" onions. When you plant the large 3-4" onions, they will split into many "set" size onions which you then save for replanting in fall.

Ok..explain this to me better. I have multiplying onions in a separate bed, I got them from my mother last spring....these never grow big onions...but do make the top sets, which are about the size of the onion sets you buy at the store. I have not used any of these, as I am waiting until they make top sets so that I know they will be multiplying first.

-
 -
by obywan59 on November 10, 2006 04:02 AM
That sounds like the Egyptian Walking onion--a different type of multiplier onion than the potato onion. The potato onion doesn't produce top sets. Egyptian Walking Onions grow perennially in beds.

-
Terry

by comfrey on November 10, 2006 04:20 AM
Ok Thanks Terry...for that clarification.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on November 10, 2006 08:43 AM
OK, got it, thanks, Comfrey !

-
 -
by Sorellina on November 11, 2006 02:04 AM
Ciao all,

I'm still up to my ears in canning the tomatoes that have finally ripened after we had a freakish snow in October. John, you nutbar, by February you'll have like 80 on your list.

-
by Sorellina on November 11, 2006 02:06 AM
Deb's from Cali..I didn't know what a mud room was either until I moved to the tundra.

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: