The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

raised beds? why? for which veggies?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: raised beds...| Next thread: Raised Beds (weezie?) »
Back to Thread index
by juliezr on October 29, 2006 07:54 AM
Just plotting out my garden for next spring. I have an area of about 125ft x 125 ft. Lots of different seeds ordered.
Can someone explain the theory behind raised beds, what you should put in them as far as soil types, what fruits and veggies really need them and benefit the most?
The more I read the more it seems like everything needs a raised bed.
I'm determined to make this garden work, god help the chickens , horses, rabbits or ducks if they get loose and I catch them in it.
Any help appreciated! Would like to buddy up with a fellow not so experienced gardener to be who may also be embarking on this journey.
I'm also trying to stay fairly organic and sticking to heiloom plants. Working the soil with horse drawn implements and a five year old son. Stay tuned for pictures and expletives!
by Deborah L. on October 30, 2006 02:39 AM
Julie, you sound like a hoot ! Funny !
I hope someone comes along and educates both of us-I intend to have raised beds next year when I have a house. (Condo now-ugh).
I love the look of raised beds, and I'm going to have one each for herbs, tomatoes, squash, corn, flowers, strawberries, etc.

-
 -
by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 04:57 AM
Here's my raised beds..
 -
 -

The object for me with my raised beds is,
the area we put the garden *well, the previous
owners of the house had a wee~garden there and it flooded constantly..* and we wanted to keep the garden here because it gave up the optimal sun light from sun up to sun down, so we kept it in the same spot...

And just raised the beds...
I initially made the beds for my aging mother,
she loves to garden, but can't get up as well as she used to.. and we put boards on the sides, so she could sit and dig and garden...
and planting and picking was right at waist high level...
And for that it works out really good...

We filled it with sifted topsoil and I ammended some with homemade compost and a load of composted manure brought in...

Hind sight of reading some info 3 years later,
that I probably should have filled it straight with the compost and manure and left only a wee~bit of soil for it..
*but I of course didn't read that until it was too late..*
~~~~>I'll reference to that in a bit...
Raised beds are warmer to warm up in the spring time, faster to dry out when there's heavy or continual rains...
And they stay warmer when it's chilly out in spring or a colder summer....

But in reference to above they are also veryyyy hot in the summer, and any compost or manure you put in either gets "eaten up" by the plants you plant or the hot "cooking temps" *which is not a bad thing, just that you have to treat a raised bed as if it's a pot/or container and water accordingly or shade as nessessary...
*like tomatoes, although they love the warmth and sunshine can also get sunscald and heat up too much where their leaves curl up for protection from the full sun and too much heat in their soil...*

But fill with alot of compost/aged manures you can, because you'll end up having to replace it..
as it's used up...

I put down landscaped fabric under my first two beds... (my first picture of the first 2 beds)
but I wasn't there for when they put down the wood for the second set of 3 beds, and didn't get any down... and I have a terrible problem with that runner root type grass now because of it.. I don't in the first bed... but thats' what happens when you leave to men alone that don't garden to do the work... [Roll Eyes] [Eek!]
but they did make an AWESOME job on building them, and I am not complaining... [kissies]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 05:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by juliezr:

I'm determined to make this garden work, god help the chickens , horses, rabbits or ducks if they get loose and I catch them in it.

Juliezr,
Right there you've got a GOLD MINE~~~~>MANURE!!!
What I wouldn't do to have all of those animals... ( [teacher] Although horse manure contains ALOTTTTTTT of weed seeds in it as the digestion track of those animals, don't kill the seeds and you end up with alot of grass seed in it... suggestion, let it sit out in the elements for several seasons, mix with some sawdust off on the side and then use later..
[teacher] Chicken poop is really good, but VERYYY HOT, so don't put it straight on to bed or plant.. it can burn the tender plants...
also let that cook off to the side too...
[teacher] Rabbit poop is goooooooood stuff, just let that age a bit too.. but when it's mixed with the straw bedding it composts' quickly and ages wonderfully.)

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 05:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by juliezr:

I'm also trying to stay fairly organic and sticking to heiloom plants.

If you want to talk heirloom tomatoes,
talk with Julianna/Sorellina and John/Johnct
They are both veryyyyy big into growing heirlooms here.. and love to talk tomato....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 05:37 AM
Here's some other ideas...
*****THEY ARE NOT MINE.. I'VE SEEN THEM ALONG MY
HUNTING FOR INFO ON THE INTERNET AND PICTURES' I'VE SAVED ALONG THE WAY, SO I CAN'T GIVE CREDIT TO THEM, BUT THEY DID AN AWESOME JOB AND THEY'RE GREAT IDEAS'*****
But they are good ideas for a raised bed of some sorts, and some for if you're in a condo or limited space to garden...
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 05:38 AM
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 05:39 AM
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 05:39 AM
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by badplanter on October 30, 2006 06:49 AM
Hey Weezie-- would you happen to know what's planted in the 3rd pic? [dunno]
*****~~~~~*****~~~~~*****

i only have a very small area for my veggie garden... maybe 12ft by 12ft( i never really measured it-that's a wild guess)..... I have about 75% of it a few inches lower then the rest of yard, and the other 25% a few inches higher then the rest of the yard... It's all in one area, so I have a bit of a drop-off.... I purposly made it that way though... I think eventually i'll be filling that soil in...I also have it to keep everything out... to kinda confine the garden area....

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 06:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by badplanter:
Hey Weezie-- would you happen to know what's planted in the 3rd pic? [dunno]

#2 and #3 are the same type of plant....
Strawberries...
Just different ways they can be planted!!!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on October 30, 2006 06:59 AM
Weezie, thanks bunches for posting these pics.
Yours are EXACTLY what I'm dreaming of/planning !!!
I don't like to bend over to garden, so the height of those boards is gonna really work for me.
Just today I was trimming my container ornamentals, and lemme tell ya, I was lightheaded city from bending over for so long.

-
 -
by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 07:09 AM
What I didn't finish above when I was talking
about I should have only put in compost and such,
cause the sifted top soil that I put in,
the entire bottom of it sits like concrete now..
All compacted down..
To do over again...
I might get a different type of dirt,
maybe one, not sifted especially, cause when they sift it, yes, it takes out a good portion of weed roots and large rocks...
It's the large rocks and different sized and shaped rocks that give it good drainage..
The sifted top soil, just compacted down, flat,
concrete like or almost like clay consistancy...
And I had to pull it out the soil, shift it to one side, then get my mini~rototiller in there, rototill up the very bottom and then re~do again with more compost and composted manure...
but only doing one patch at a time, was very time consuming and labor intensive.. whew!

So, I might not either make them so high,
*cause you have to dig so far down*
or different type dirt... [dunno] [dunno] [dunno]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on October 30, 2006 07:48 AM
Love that strawberry planter weezie!

Julie, no matter which way you look at it, raised bed gardening is the absolute ideal way to go. The foremost advantage they have is good drainage. No matter what you're planting, one of the most important things a plant needs is proper drainage. Most plants will perish if their roots sit in waterlogged soil. The second advantage they have is their ability to inhibit soil compaction. You won;t be walking in your raised beds I would hope. [Wink] Soil compaction will most certainly be detrimental to plant growth.

Don't be so quick to think that you NEED raised beds to garden well. That's simply not the case. If you have good soil that drains well already, you may not need to take the added expense of making a bunch of raised beds. My suggestion would be to get a soil test done. Have them include a mechanical analysis as well. This will tell you what type(sand, loam, clay, etc.) of soil you have. Has this area been worked before? Anyway, like the saying goes, the secret is in the soil. Thats where success or failure lies. Maybe you could let us know a little more about what you're expecting from this garden.

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on October 30, 2006 07:50 AM
Hmmm...good point !
Gee, there's alot to it !
I thought I'd just dump them full of potting soil, plant, and enjoy.... [Frown]

-
 -
by MrClint on October 30, 2006 09:00 AM
The advantages of raised planters been has laid out very nicely at http://www.squarefootgardening.com/.

Consider starting out pesticide free rather than completely organic. Going completely organic is a good goal eventually. There are some good and cheap chemical fertilizers and planter mixes that can really get you off on the right foot until your compost bin is going full bore.

As for heirlooms, consider hedging your bet by also leveraging hybrid vigor. There are so many excellent hybrids that will increase your odds for success. Check your state or county extension website for suggested varieties. What works well for someone in another part of the country may not do so well for you.

According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist.
by Deborah L. on October 30, 2006 09:21 AM
Mr. Clint, thanks for this superb website !
I'm already devouring it !

-
 -
by weezie13 on October 30, 2006 12:01 PM
I love Mel Bartholomew's book, "Squarefoot Gardener"....
I read that one alot in the winter
time just for ideas and stuff... [thumb] [thumb]
I don't apply it tooo much, well, let me rephrase that,
because some of the veggies he uses to use up small spaces,
I don't grow..
does that make sense???
But his concepts are very good..
and I use companion planting alot for my beds..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: raised beds...| Next thread: Raised Beds (weezie?) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: