The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What to do with green tomatoes?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: What to do with deer.....| Next thread: What to do with Lovage »
Back to Thread index
by Marina on October 15, 2006 09:49 PM
Hi all [Smile]

Well its getting chilly hear and we're about to have some over-night weather in the 40s-30s here [Frown]

My question is about my tomatoe plants (sweet 100s). They are stuffed full of green tomatoes. Is there anything I can do to ripen them inside? Do I rip the whole branch off? Do I just leave them?

I have started to realize its time to get the plants out of the ground [Frown]
by badplanter on October 15, 2006 10:33 PM
I picked maybe 100+ green tomatoes of all varieties the other day(just pick 'em like you'd pick ripe tomatoes). I put them into a paper bag with a ripe apple, or another ripe fruit. You can also use already-ripened tomatoes as well. The ripe fruit in there speeds up the ripening of the other tomatoes. Close the paper bag up tight and just leave them around room temperature. Check on them every once in a while to see how they are doing. That should be all you need to do.
( I actually learned this from the Forum a while back.. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

Good luck to you! [thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by chenno on October 17, 2006 07:06 AM
I just wrap in newspaper in put in the basement,also fry them dipped in breadcrumbs and cheese..yummy!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Triss on October 17, 2006 07:47 AM
I have had good luck with mine in a shallow box on the counter with other ripe tomatoes. Mine were shaded with a bit of pink on them though.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Deborah L. on October 17, 2006 08:16 AM
Does anyone grow those winter-keeper tomatoes that are ripe when green and store for 3 months?
The ones in the Burpee catalogs.

-
 -
by julie10008 on October 17, 2006 09:02 AM
I too have a bunch of green tomatoes this year. (I don't know why... it was such a warm summer! [dunno] ) It's good to know they can be ripened!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: What to do with deer.....| Next thread: What to do with Lovage »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: