The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

shade-loving veggies...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Shade tree suggestions| Next thread: Shallow rooting plants »
Back to Thread index
by badplanter on October 01, 2006 06:34 AM
Does anybody know of any veggies or fruits i can grow with little sun light--shade most of the day?
Thanks! [thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Deborah L. on October 01, 2006 07:57 AM
Maybe peas? Not sure......

-
 -
by chrissy fair on October 01, 2006 09:15 AM
my tomato plants I experimented with, 6 I planted in full sun, 4 I planted alond the north facing wall of my home, only sun it got was for 3 hours in the afternoon before the sun set. Guess which plants are doing better....the ones with VERY little direct sunlight!! I was actually surprised that they are doing so well. Next year ALL my tomatoes are being planted in that spot...lol
by chrissy fair on October 01, 2006 09:17 AM
lettuce likes it there too...not sure why, I'm thinking because it doesnt get SO hot there...stays cool and the moistor ing the soil is more even and gries slower there too.
by badplanter on October 02, 2006 12:27 AM
thanks everybody!
It's because i'm extending my garden, but the part i'm adding is mostly in shade.
so, we have:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
And possibly peas.

How about carrots? do they need any specific amount of sunlight?

[thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by johnCT on October 02, 2006 08:09 PM
Tomatoes won't do well in shade. Production will suffer noticably. You still may get a few fruit, but nothing like you will in full sun. There really aren't many vegetables that will thrive in part sun I'm sorry to say. Lettuce may benefit from a bit of midday shade through the heat of the summer though.

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on October 02, 2006 08:25 PM
I think in the hotter climates the veggies can take more shade. I know mine are doing fine in spite of being in dappled shade.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 03, 2006 06:02 AM
Chrissy, I'll bet your tomatoes do OK there as some of the light they get is reflected light.
You should see the huge and healthy plants I have on my half shaded patio ! And I think it's because the plants are getting more light than I think, all reflected light.
I know what you mean, John, but it's hot here ! And sunny.
I never worry about sunlight requirements. Would LOVE some nice cool rain though.....

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 03, 2006 06:03 AM
Hey, Badplanter, what about cabbage or broccoli?
Dunno..... [dunno]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on October 03, 2006 06:23 AM
Definitely lettuce!! I grow all my lettuce in a seperate garden bed throughout the summer and it thrives!! I also grow arugula and spinach in there which also does wonders! It has never bolted and turned to seed on me this way. This bed maybe sees an hour or two at the most of sun a day..and that sun is probably between 6 and 8am. So go ahead and plant your lettuce in full shade.

-
 -
by badplanter on October 03, 2006 09:59 AM
Thanks again for more ideas!

I'm basically growing over the summer, so lettuce is a definate...

[thumb]

-
 -
by johnCT on October 03, 2006 07:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
It has never bolted and turned to seed on me this way. This bed maybe sees an hour or two at the most of sun a day..and that sun is probably between 6 and 8am. So go ahead and plant your lettuce in full shade.
What variety of lettuce do you plant Christina?

John - Zone 6
by johnCT on October 05, 2006 07:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
It has never bolted and turned to seed on me this way. This bed maybe sees an hour or two at the most of sun a day..and that sun is probably between 6 and 8am. So go ahead and plant your lettuce in full shade.
What variety of lettuce do you plant Christina?

Inquiring minds want to know Christina. [dunno]

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on October 05, 2006 09:41 PM
I grew Boston lettuce, head lettuce and a spring mix variety which is just various types of baby leaf lettuce. I still have some...want some? [Smile] Meet me half way? [Wink] [thumb]

-
 -
by johnCT on October 05, 2006 11:22 PM
Tempting!

By head lettuce you mean Romaine types I'm assuming? How has that done for you? I've always grown leaf lettuce myself along with so-called spring mix stuff.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Shade tree suggestions| Next thread: Shallow rooting plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: