The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Gruesome Whitefly-Fungus Problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Grubs questions| Next thread: Guides to Growing Carnivorous Plants »
Back to Thread index
by PattyCake on February 06, 2006 03:23 PM
Help! I have a horrible something taking over my hibiscus. The gardener and horticulturist I talked to have never seen this thing before. I have some pictures. Can someone help me identify and fight this nightmare, before it takes over the world?
Thanks, Pat
Photos of Hibiscus Killer
by obywan59 on February 06, 2006 03:45 PM
I've seen that spiral mark before, but I can't remember what it is for sure. I think it's viral, which is bad. It might be a gonner. A lot of plants with viral disease are best destroyed.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by catlover on February 06, 2006 03:51 PM
FYI....it is all white fly....even the cotton~y stuff that will float through the air on a windy day.

Great Pictures btw....we can use these for a great reference if you don't mind.

White fly are really bad this year at least here in North San Diego County. Day before yesterday I drastically trimmed one of my huge hibiscus back....washed the remaining leaves down with the water sprayer on jet.....and will be applying a systemic solution within the next couple of days after I once again hose them down to remove as many white flies as possible while deep watering before the systemic solution is applied.

I did this 3 years ago and this is the first year I have had further problems with that giganto bush.
Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by catlover on February 06, 2006 03:52 PM
The spiral is the first stage of the white fly.

-
 -
 -
by dodge on February 07, 2006 02:41 AM
[wavey]
Hi,
Welcome to the club......WHITE FLY CLUB...
I am in that operation right now. [dunno]
My indoor tomatoes. Poinsettas. Hibiscus.
My brother gave me a spray from Jerry Baker..
Called "Concern" ......I used it and it seems to be under control.. Except the tomatoes..Too far gone.
[scaredy]
Another solution Take an put liquid dish soap in water and spray on...
I put a fly ribbon above it too.
So far mine seems better.
[clappy]
Good Luck.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by catlover on February 07, 2006 11:39 AM
Just want to add onto what Dodge stated.......Make sure to wash the dishsoap solution off your plants after....or you might not have a plant left.

-
 -
 -
by Ironside on February 07, 2006 02:03 PM
You can use a product called Pyola by Gardens Alive. It is derived from plants. You can read aout it at: www.gardensalive.com. Click on Insect Control. I have used it for several years now. Good Luck!

Ironside
by PattyCake on February 11, 2006 09:31 AM
I just got my internet connection back and I found all these helpful comments. I'm really glad to know it is "just" whitefly. I've cut back the hibiscus drastically, so there aren't too many leaves to treat, and I'm going to try something chemical. I was hosing it down all last summer and I just seemed to be spreading the whiteflies. I bought a systemic, but I haven't used it yet. I will try some of your less drastic solutions first.
Catlover, you are welcome to use the pictures.
Thanks for all the help!
Patty
by Buglady on February 17, 2006 12:54 PM
fyi its Aleurodicus dispersus Russell aka Spiraling Whitefly. [teacher]

the spirals you see are the eggs. They are laid in that formation by the adult female. THIS IS UNIQUE TO THIS SPECIES, most whiteflies do not do this.

You need to treat to prevent the production of honey dew ( a sticky substance that the whiteflies produce) which then can cause a black sooty mold to grow.

With white flies today you have to be so careful with the products that you use. From over use of pesticides and not rotating with different products whiteflies have developed resistance to many pesticides. A light horticultural oil will work but you must get the coverage. [wavey] The day before you treat be sure to water the root system of your plant well.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Ironside on February 18, 2006 01:02 AM
You can use Pyola insecticide which is derived from Chrysanthemums. It is not toxic and does the job for the insects. you want to spray the plant with a product called Soap Shield. You can buy both at www.gardensalive.com. Don't spray with both products the same day. After it is under control, spray twice a week with the soap shiled. Insects don't like clean plants.
by Buglady on February 18, 2006 05:50 AM
You can not say Pyola is not toxic. The natural pyrethrins are contact poisons which quickly penetrate the nerve system of the insect, making it toxic. Also natural pyrethrins are quickly detoxified by enzymes in the insect, so sometimes the insect will recover.

Now granted it is less toxic to mammals then some of the older classes of pesticides. Also it will kill beneficials, they are not immune to the effects nor is aquatic life. Pyrethrin is extremely toxic to aquatic life.

My point is i don't like people to think that just because it is natural it is not toxic and with any product that you use there are reactions. Pyrethrins are still an insecticide and should be treated with respect. I still think for homeowners pyrethrins can be a great solution for insect problems but just be smart about using them

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grubs questions| Next thread: Guides to Growing Carnivorous Plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: