The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Abnormal Corn Growth

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by jennr8er on August 30, 2006 02:49 PM
I'm glad there are so many corn lovers here! My first year growing corn and all seemed well until the tops of some of the ears sprouted something unusual looking - almost like the insides exploded out the top and dried..... it doesn't look normal or very healthy for that matter. Has anyone else run across this? Does anyone know what it is and what caused it?
by Dixie Angel on August 30, 2006 02:58 PM
Does it look like this? My husband and I had a problem with this, this year. We are moving our corn patch to another area next year, after we burn what is left...

It starts out just looking like the ear is swollen...

Dianna

-
 -
by jennr8er on August 30, 2006 03:34 PM
That's exactly what it looks like - any idea what it is?
by jennr8er on August 30, 2006 03:37 PM
Ahhh - didn't see the little wording in the corner identifying it as smut.... thanks for your help!
by Dixie Angel on August 30, 2006 03:39 PM
We just learned about it when we lost most of our corn patch to it. We will be moving the patch next year. So sorry if that is what happened to yours, but look close because some of it may not be affected. We were able to harvest a few ears...

By the way, nice to meet you, and welcome to the Garden Helper forum...

Dianna

-
 -
by jennr8er on August 30, 2006 04:09 PM
Nice to meet you to and thanks again! I didn't plant more than four very short rows so I don't have much to lose, but at this point it looks like maybe five plants or so. Hopefully I've caught it in time! Good luck with yours next year [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: