The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Washington State gardener - Raspberry questions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New Vegetable Garden Help| Next thread: new water feature... »
Back to Thread index
by artful_blond on August 20, 2006 07:48 AM
I just moved into a home with an established raspberry forest! I really need to get them under control. They are WAY out of control and planted very close together. They are about 8 feet tall and the two rows were initially planted about 2 1/2 feet apart, so they are impossible to walk between.Here are my questions:

1. Can they be moved further apart without killing them?

2. How can I tell if they are summer bearing or fall bearing? I have found directions for prining them, but they are based on the type. There seem to be small greenish berries that look like they haven't ripened yet, so I am assuming that they are Fall bearing. Do the plants look the same?

I am relatively new to gardening, but I hope to be successful at it. Any help you could provide would be very much appreciated [flower]

Thank you,

Tina
by Triss on August 20, 2006 09:41 AM
Sounds exciting. I cannot answer your questions though but it will be great for you to make all kinds of goodies with. We live right across the street from a blackberry forest and the owners of the property let them grow wild and have given us full permission to pick away. I have been canning them like crazy and having so much fun with them. If the berries are not ripe yet, then I would say they are indeed fall bearing. Good luck getting them all into control!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by 'Sparagus on August 23, 2006 12:53 PM
quote:
Can they be moved further apart without killing them?
YES! I dug all my plants, left them with the root ends in bags of wet leaves for a few weeks while I got the bed ready, and I didnt lose one plant! They seem to LOVE being uprooted and moved.

I did it in the spring. I believe I cut down the old canes in the fall/early winter. You can tell which ones to save for next year because the canes are green. Also, they LOVE to be topped off when the new growth is about 3" tall, they get bushier that way.

GOOD LUCK!!

[flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Vegetable Garden Help| Next thread: new water feature... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: