The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

"HOW OUTTA CONTROL OUR GARDENS' ARE!!!"

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 04:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Heyyyyyyy, we should start a new thread
on "HOW OUTTA CONTROL OUR GARDENS' ARE!!!"

Ok..Mine is so out of control, And its too late for the tiller. I am guilty of not mulching this year. I had instead intended to use my little row cultivator, which I did for quite sometime...But [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] I got lazy or I mean busy and told myself I'll get after it tomorrow...Well we all know what happens when it comes to waiting until tomorrow. So tell us all about how out of control your garden is.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 12, 2006 04:48 PM
My weeds are taller than the raised beds...
andddddd the woodchucks has been eating everything to nub's...
Plus, I've boobie~trapped every avenue in or out, but they are still getting in..
(I sooooooooooo need a fence [Eek!] )

I left some veggies on one section of the garden beds, and of course, they sprouted and I'm a suckker for pulling out volunteers, and I have a masssssssive amounts of vines from Yellow Squash, Acorn, and Butternut Squash's rampling all over the place..
(Cantaloupe's too)

I never got out and pulled any of the 100+ volunteer cherry tomatoes and they're allllll over the place..

And I haven't weeded the large acorn patch that
the Woodchucks are feasting on, on a regular snack...

My pumpkin is out in the lawn, and tomato plants are falling over and I still have plants in 6pks. [Embarrassed] [Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [perplexed] [lala]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 05:49 PM
Oh Weezie... [shocked] I am so surprised. About the woodchuck..is that the same thing as a groundhog??? We had one last year eat all the cantaloupes...And I have a fence...It dug a hole under the fence then I filled it with huge rocks and the next morning..the rocks had been moved and the hole redug [Mad] Well we were going to try and catch the groundhog, but before we got a chance to do that, the poor groundhog got ran over and killed on the gravel road. We have been lucky this year...no critters, just some bugs...In fact more bugs then I have ever seen this year!!! The weather has been so hot and humid that it is unreal, I don't recall a worse year weather wise. I try to go and pick things about 7am...by the time I am done I'm so hot and sweaty... [Frown] I'm not killing myself weeding. I'm planning a new strategy for next year [thumb]

-
 -
by Amigatec on August 13, 2006 01:41 AM
I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My weeds have taken over, I am going to take the weedeater to mine today and if I take something I want, I guess that's to bad.

I have Morning Glories everywhere, I plan to Roundup them.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by ChristinaC on August 13, 2006 02:36 AM
I've actually been keeping up with the weeding...BUT...you should see my garden! It's a mess. Everything is WAAAAYYYY too close together. I can't get at my cucumbers..they're buried somewhere. [perplexed] I have 4 different varieties of tomatoes and when I pick one..I have to follow the stem to find out what plant it came from. [nutz] No joke!! I will take a pic and post it as soon as I go outside.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on August 13, 2006 02:58 AM
Okay..here's a few pics.

This picture gives you an idea how close together I planted the tomatoes. There's 5 plants in this pic! [shocked]

-

This picture shows how my cages obviously didn't work. You can see how my tomatoes are growing out and over the raised bed.

-

And in this pic...left to right..tomatoes, chili peppers, green peppers (which did horrible this year!) and brussel sprouts. Yes..they're all there!

-

I'm sure there's weeds in there that I can't find..outta' site, outta mind! [thumb]

So..you see..my garden is outta' control!!

-
 -
by ChristinaC on August 13, 2006 02:59 AM
Correction...as I looked again at the top pic..I see I got the entire raised bed in the pic..which means 8 plants!

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 13, 2006 05:32 AM
quote:
Oh Weezie... I am so surprised. About the woodchuck..is that the same thing as a groundhog???
I believe they are....
I had a momma have 5 babies here this summer.
She and daddy are stillllll here, and so are several of her brewd.
(I know at least one is gone, as we started the van the one day, and it was in the engine and got doink to d#@th!!!

Those critters are sooooooo bad...I've been cutting wild rose canes and wild blackraspberry canes and laying them down for boobie~traps..
Most work, until they find a new section..
*I have a big garden area..*
I wish Santa would bring me a big roll of fencing. [Wink]

**Christina,
I've probably asked this, but I am forgetful theses last thrawls of summer here, did you use a bagged soil for your dirt? I thought you'd said yes before..
(if I'm wrong correct me)
but most of those bagged soils have a nitrogen base fert in them now adays.. which means lush,
green new growth... ... meaning, lot's of green..

I just woke up too, was hoping to embarrass myself enough with some pictures.. but didn't get out there..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on August 13, 2006 05:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Amigatec:
I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My weeds have taken over
Um, I think if anyone in this world had weeds like you say, not one soul should look down on you for having an "Outta control garden"..
YOUUUUUUU have got your hands quite fullllllllll!
And then some..

You know sometimes us gardeners see some of these gardens in magazines and stuff, and feel they have to be perfect, just like the ones we see... but we forget that there's a teammmmm of people working behind the scenes to keep those gardens like they are..
My "TEAM", it me, myself and I...
And the 3 of us are pooped!! [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by chrissy fair on August 13, 2006 06:34 AM
My zucc are out of controll!! they over ran my beans (which are now dead thanks to that) and my tomatoes have not produced ONE tomato as of yet, the zucc plant has shadowed most of them as well. [Eek!]
The upside to this is that I have enough zucchinni to give to everyone on my block,every member of my family, and still eat it every night. My mother-in-law told me they grow like weeds, but I think they even killed off the weeds!! lol

I do need to mow what lawn is left around this monster, and till the dirt around it, but where to start....lol [thinker]
by netty on August 13, 2006 06:57 AM
My veggie garden-the weeds were so tall that I first took the weed eater thru the rows, and now I use the lawn mower weekly to keep the weeds short!! My corn is pathetic-knee high at best and the weeds between those rows are taller. I have to search thru the weeds to find my cucumbers!! I have managed to keep the "blocks" of veggies weed free, but the rows now look like the lawn after I cut it. Looks kind of neat actually...

-
 -
by Amigatec on August 13, 2006 07:55 AM
quote:

.....got doink to d#@th!!!
Is this a new word?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Amigatec on August 13, 2006 08:02 AM
quote:
quote:
I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem. My weeds have taken over
Um, I think if anyone in this world had weeds like you say, not one soul should look down on you for having an "Outta control garden"..
YOUUUUUUU have got your hands quite fullllllllll!
And then some..

Yes I do stay pretty busy.

quote:

You know sometimes us gardeners see some of these gardens in magazines and stuff, and feel they have to be perfect, just like the ones we see... but we forget that there's a teammmmm of people working behind the scenes to keep those gardens like they are..
My "TEAM", it me, myself and I...
And the 3 of us are pooped!! [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Yea it an 'it and all like it is on TV. If I had the money to hire staff, I would be on Victory Gardens too!!! [clappy] [grin] [grin] [grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 13, 2006 08:17 AM
quote:
quote:

.....got doink to d#@th!!!
Is this a new word?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Should have been DOINKED TO D#@TH!!

Yes that's a word I've used for like... everrr...
Doink

*as in he got doinked over the head* [Wink]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 13, 2006 03:15 PM
Well it helps alittle to know that there are others who's gardens are out of control. It is so strange how just in one weeks time that things can get so out of control...beyond control, then if it happens to rain...forget it. My remedy at this point to is to harvest what I can and pull the rest that is pretty well done in...Then try to till what I can, my beans got bean rust, so they are done...Good deal I had all I wanted canned already, those blister bugs striped the potato plants, so I went ahead and dug what potatoes there was, then I tried to dig all the onions, which I lost the row for about 3 foot (too many weeds), so probable didn't get all of them, but most of them....I can now clean up 1/3 of my garden. I know the feeling weezie...My "TEAM", it's me, myself and I...And the 3 of us are pooped!! DH got a little upset about the state of the garden, I told him...Next year you take care of it then...He said ok, then you go to work in my place [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I wouldn't last one day where he works and he wouldn't last one day in the garden working either. [Frown]

-
 -
by johnCT on August 13, 2006 03:53 PM
If by OUTTA CONTROL you mean tomato plants that have out-grown 5 and 6 foot tall cages and are now growing down the sides of them....then yes....I'm guilty too.
I do have fruit to show that I'll post in the4 other thread.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on August 13, 2006 04:22 PM
quote:
I know the feeling weezie...My "TEAM", it's me, myself and I...And the 3 of us are pooped!! DH got a little upset about the state of the garden,

I told him...Next year you take care of it then...He said ok, then you go to work in my place I wouldn't last one day where he works and he wouldn't last one day in the garden working either.
I know that feeling very well...
I tell him, HE holds' me up alot of time...
*I'll ask him for some 8ft stakes, and I'd like them in about the same time when I plant the tomotoes *so he's not trying to stake them when they're putting out roots...* yeah, okay..
*I can't remember the last time he helped with the stakes.. this year, I didn't even bother doing it myself either..* [Roll Eyes] *

But I will tell you, I found a couple of
"CEMENT CAGE'S" *The one's that are made out of the wire re~inforcement stuff for cement. [clappy] [clappy] [Cool] *
I didn't stake them and they are working greatttttt!!!
I LOVE THEM, wish I had the money for a whole roll of it..
It takes a bit of work to make them, bit of muscles, good pair of wire cutters and alot of time.. but they sure were nice and steady *and didn't fall over*

Ther'es so many things I wait for...
and $$$$$$ is the biggest reason it doesn't get done...
But, in the meantime, I don't beat myself up any more over the failures or being behind.. I can only do so much and as others need me more, I have less time for somethings..
but I know in time, that I'll get back into it and have all that I need to do it...
but for now, I am content... [kissies]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 13, 2006 04:26 PM
John I think that would fit the description of OUT OF CONTROL [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Oh I forgot to mention another critter I encountered in my weedy garden today....It was a black snake, [shocked] at least if it had to be a snake..it was a good snake. I can't stand snakes, I had the hoe in my hand and was ready to whack its head off, but them I closed my eyes and when I opened them it was heading out the fence. I have chickens and a black snake is a threat to my eggs and baby chicks if I had any...So I am really glad it decided to leave for the moment. Maybe it will eat every bug in there [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by CajunMama on August 14, 2006 03:01 AM
I think my garden would take the top of this list!

Check this out!!! [Big Grin]
 -

It should say "rotten tomatoes" or "bug infested" tomatoes! There's also a cherry tomato plant in the back somewhere. I also found a cuke vine on the left side of the carrots! My poor plants haven't been able to keep up with all the heat. I usually give buckets of veggies away to anyone that will take them, but this year I didn't even produce enough for a decent meal for myself!

Oh, yeah, I also recently took the tiller through there!!! Can you tell?!? [lala]

I thought everyone would like a laugh at my poor garden's expense! Enjoy! [perplexed]

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by Amigatec on August 14, 2006 04:22 AM
Things that did good:

First Weeds and grass DID REAL GOOD.
Those darn Morning Glories are thriving!!!!

My tomatoes did real good.
I still have Brussels Sprouts to pick.
My cabbage did good this year, as did my sweet peas.
My potatoes did good, as well as my peppers.
Strawberries did real good.
Asparagus did good, but came up so quick I didn't get to pick any.

Things that did bad:
Most of what I planted early didn't do anything, lettuce, radishes, beets, and spinach (I did pick a little spinach).
The bugs ate up all my squash, zucchini, and cucumbers.
Garlic and Shallots, didn't do anything most died.

Things that did ok:
My green beans did ok, but not outstanding like last year.
My onions didn't make this year, most were small.
My watermelons, and cantaloupe are not doing well either.

Things still in the garden:
Sweet Corn, nor looking good either.
Orka, I am just starting to pick.

In a couple of weeks I will have a week off, and am going to remove most of what is out there.

-
 -
by comfrey on August 14, 2006 04:09 PM
Tomorrow I will try to get a picture of mine...

CajunMama: No one is laughing at your garden or if they are laughing it because they can relate. Wait until you see mine.

Things that did well:

-Green beans did well until they got bean rust.
-Okra has done very good with huge stalks, I already have a freezer full so am going to quit picking it and let some dry for seeds.
-Cucumbers have done very well and I have given tons away and could still harvest tons more.
-Bell Peppers and Jalapenos have done well
-Cantaloupes have done great and very sweet and juicy
-Watermelons have done fairly good.

Things that didn't do as well as expected:

-Potatoes rotted in the ground from too much rain early in the season, my harvest was not very good.
-Tomatoes have produced alot, but for the amount of plants I have they should have done better, but had an aphid problem early
-Onions were small like Pats also
-Squash was taken over by bugs early and all efforts to get rid of the bugs failed

I still have carrots to harvest and from what I have seen they should be a good harvest on them.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on August 15, 2006 12:27 AM
quote:
I had the hoe in my hand and was ready to whack its head off
Don't you mean.."Doink it to death" ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 15, 2006 12:58 AM
[thumb] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 15, 2006 02:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaC:
quote:
I had the hoe in my hand and was ready to whack its head off
Don't you mean.."Doink it to death" ! [Big Grin]

[Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Yep samething...I wanted to doink it to death!

-
 -
by comfrey on August 15, 2006 05:57 AM
Ok..get ready to laugh [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

This first one is of where the patch use to be to the right  -
My melons are here:  -
And here is the view from the other end...if you look close you might see where the carrots are on the lower left:  -

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 15, 2006 06:02 AM
I gotta get my camera workin'..

I know the feelin'!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 15, 2006 06:07 AM
Ok..I'll add a few more The first one is of the cuke. bell peppers and okra rows:  -
Here is another one from the other side of the garden, same rows:  -
And the clearest place in the garden..taters were here and you can see the yellow rusty beans still:  -

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 15, 2006 06:11 AM
Comfrey,
Do you know what I would lovvvvvvvvvvve to get
*if I had the extra $$ for next seasons' garden*
Is that roll of landscape fabric you see at nurseries, that have all of their plants sitting
out on *sometimes they have drip lines to the plants* but it keeps the weeds down and walkable...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 15, 2006 06:16 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Weezie that is so funny as I have a roll of it in the shed.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 15, 2006 06:20 AM
[Roll Eyes] insert gremalin slappin' forhead!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Use it next year, between the rows and
let me know how it works...

***I was just hunting for a picture of it..***

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 15, 2006 06:31 AM
I'm just glad my growing season is coming close to an end....Looking for melons in those tall weeds is not much fun though. I've been picking 4 cantaloupe daily now for the past 4 days.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 15, 2006 06:35 AM
You know I had volunteer watermelons and cantaloupes anddddddd acorn, yellow squash and butternut, because I left some of the "fruit"
on top of the soil....
Got a ton of volunteers *haven't seen any fruit on the watermelon or the cantaloupe, but theeey're hidin' in the grass and got one yellow squash and a couple of acorns starting...

I will neverrrr leave that stuff on top of the soil again!!!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 15, 2006 07:17 AM
I am pretty good at cleaning up left over stuff...I have several buckets around the garden to put that kind of stuff into and haul it to the compost pile or chicken pen depending what it is. I did have some volunteer squash plants...That I gave up on last year when I had too much and the weeds took over, so I didn't clean it up like I should have, But even a tomato that has hit the ground I try to scoop up and put in a bucket. Right now I need to get those bean plants out of there..maybe this evening when it is cooler.

-
 -
by CajunMama on August 18, 2006 11:44 AM
Ladies, I've been gone for a bit, but I have to say that I love this forum! I haven't been able to check some postings in the past 4 or 5 days, and today I am laughing my head off (and it is a muuuuucchhhhhhh needed laugh [Cool] ). It looks like your gardens are doing better than mine. Thanks for sharing all of the great stories! [kissies]

Teresa

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by comfrey on August 18, 2006 02:53 PM
Teresa..the only difference in your garden and mine, is that the plants are taller then the weeds right now and so you can still see where most of them are in my garden.

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 18, 2006 03:00 PM
The only difference for mine is cause it's in
a raised bed...
But they're verrrrrrrrrrrry tall in the middle
of the isles...
I still haven't gotten out there to take pictures yet... [Eek!] [perplexed] [Roll Eyes]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on August 19, 2006 01:59 PM
Ok..Weezie where's your pictures?????

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: