The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

rose buds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: rosa rugosa| Next thread: Rose bush care »
Back to Thread index
by pcgrav on May 10, 2005 12:53 AM
Hi Everyone!
Its been a while since I've posted anything but I've been checking in from time to time. I really liked the posts I read the other day where everyone was about to go to that "other" site and give them "what for"... I said when I first came here that it was nice to find a place where everybody is really nice--
O.K. to my topic-- I need some input or ideas about my rose problem... It is a climbing Joseph's Coat Rose. Bought a collection of 5 different roses, ALL of which are doing great and are even blooming first year (planted bare root nursery stock). The Joseph's Coat, however, won't even produce leaves. It starts to bud and then the buds "die"(for lack of a better term). I had it in the same location with two more--which are beautiful by now-- but I thought there might be a problem so I carefully lifted it and placed it in a really large pot with some real good soil, it looked as though it might start to improve --put out several new buds-- but then they started to do the same thing... Im sure it's not dead because I notice new buds starting to grow but the buds just can't seem to develope into leaves. I checked a gardening book (by Time Life) that I have and followed the proper planting procedures so can someone advise me further??? PLEASE....

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Bess of the Piedmont on May 10, 2005 08:36 PM
How perplexing!!!!

Sounds to me like you have a diseased plant. You were smart to remove it from the others.

I've had some disease problem with some of my roses, too. The leaves grow out all shrivelled. I wonder if there's a medicine for it?

-
 -
by Carly on May 11, 2005 03:36 PM
That other site? What other site?

The only one I know of is my own - I have 'writing' forums and I do keep a 'garden projects' on there, but I still come here.

This is the best place to be for real gardening advice - mine is more or less for the writers to show off. You don't have to be a writer if you want to show off there.

Just the same, this is the place for advice and talking with other gardeners. It's my favourite 'back fence'.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by JV on May 12, 2005 02:48 PM
[wayey] Hey pcgrav: what type of rose food are you useing? I have had Roses do the same thing from time to time. I use blood meal,bone meal, Rose root stimulator as well as bloom stimulators. I use organic fertilizer. If you have access try and get chicken, Rabbitt manure be careful as these are strong and can do more damage then good if too heavy. Use Cow or Horse manure a lot of farmers and ranchers will let you have this just to get rid of it. Always compost before using. If you can't get the above go to a Nursery,Lowes,Home Depot etc. buy a bag of it also check the roots to see if they have some type fungus you can use organic corn meal to help with that.Hope this helps. [flower]
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by pcgrav on May 12, 2005 04:16 PM
Climbing Joseph's Coat Rose-- bare root nursery stock-- had roots about 8 - 10 inches long a couple maybe a little longer-- spot where it was originally planted is good soil-- nightcrawlers average 6-8 inches long easy and some nearly as big around as a #2 pencil. Moved it to a pot with good quality potting soil and organic humus mix. Feeding it with miracle gro plant food for roses about once every two weeks. I check it every day to make sure it is not dry but I don't think I over water. Pot has good drainage-- I checked yesterday and I think it has a bud that might actually make it. It gives me hope that maybe there will be more

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rosa rugosa| Next thread: Rose bush care »
Back to Thread index