The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Roundup Use in Vegetable Garden

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: round courgettes| Next thread: Rowdy Kitty »
Back to Thread index
by LadyBug9071 on August 03, 2006 12:32 PM
Can anyone answer this question regarding using Roundup for the weeds in my vegetable garden

I have quite a large garden and have always rototilled between the rows to get rid of the weeds. However, there is morning glory (or bindweed) creeping into one area of the garden now. If I run the tiller , I'm afraid it will just make more bindweed reseed/
The only thing I have found to kill this awful pesty weed is Roundup. It says on the container that it can be used in vegetable gardens.
I have been avoiding doing that because I don't know what effect it has on the vegetables.
Can anyone help me with this?
Appreciate any input you may have.

LadyBug in Montana
by Bestofour on August 03, 2006 12:41 PM
Can you spray it directly on the weeds without getting any on the veges? If you can , it won't hurt your vegetables.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by peppereater on August 03, 2006 12:41 PM
Any Roundup that gets on any of your crops will kill them. I think they're talking about using it to kill the vegetation before you plant.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Amigatec on August 03, 2006 12:56 PM
Yes Roundup will kill anything it touches, be very careful with it.

As far as Morning Glory Roundup may not kill all of them, I am going to roundup the whole garden this fall, I have a lot of Morning Glory, and it has some affects on it but Morning Glory is very hard to kill.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by DeepCreekLake on August 03, 2006 01:06 PM
I use it between rows- I made raised rows in my garden, because my soil is on the heavy side (its has worked very well!) I buy the concentrate, and mix it in a pump up spray (small 1 gallon size) Keep the nozzle low to the weeds, spray slow, and dont over pump the spray bottle. Also dont spray if its windy. You can even use a piece of cardboard to shield your crops.
by weezie13 on August 03, 2006 02:18 PM
Can you put some heavy wet card board on top of
the rows to smother the plants under it...???...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LadyBug9071 on August 03, 2006 04:23 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful replies.Appreciate the fact you took time to answer my question.

I think I can probably spray it on most of the weeds and keep it away from the vegetable rows. I will try a small area first.

Good idea to spray Roundup on the entire garden after I have harvested. That will be the next step later this Fall.

When I think of being concerned...I wonder how much Roundup and other weed killers are used on the vegetables we buy.
by weezie13 on August 03, 2006 04:27 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LadyBug9071:
When I think of being concerned...I wonder how much Roundup and other weed killers are used on the vegetables we buy.

Farmers spray on the soil before planting,
CORN GLUTEN MEAL, it is a NATURAL HERBICIDE..
for pre~emergence weed control/herbicide.....

Do a GOOGLE SEARCH on CORN GLUTEN MEAL......

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by elkwc36 on August 03, 2006 05:03 PM
Ladybug it will only kill what it contacts. I had bindweed in this garden when I bought this place. After several years of treating just the bindweed it is gone. It is still on the edges of my property as my neighbors does nothing to theirs. Farmers plant Roundup ready crops. And Roundup is one of several chemicals they use for bindweed conrtol. JD
by johnCT on August 04, 2006 01:12 AM
To stop the problem from coming back you need to get control of the weeds before they set seed. Spraying annual weeds in the fall is basically just a waste of expensive herbicide. They will just die off over the winter anyway. If you knock down weeds with glyphosate(roundup) after they have gone to seed, the problem will most likely re-appear the following year. It's best to hand-pull seed-bearing weeds and get rid of them. This is the only way to eliminate the weed problem in the long term.

BTW, if you are going to spray herbicides in such close proximity to your vegetable plants, make sure there is absolutely no wind or the drift will damage or kill them.

John - Zone 6
by Longy on August 04, 2006 11:55 AM
I agree with John. Those plants with seed already on them are already on the way out. You need to remove the seed or you're just tipping chemicals into your soil for no reason. The seeds will remain viable over winter and will not be affected by the glyphosate, then come spring you'll be back where you started. Glyphosate (roundup) works on actively growing weeds and so would also be useless spraying at the end of harvest if the intention is to kill off seeding weeds.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Bestofour on August 05, 2006 05:23 AM
Last year I covered my garden area with newspaper, then leaves, then black plastic. I had less weed growth this year than ever.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: round courgettes| Next thread: Rowdy Kitty »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: