The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dissapointing chili/pepper

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Display Fuschia| Next thread: divided and potted peace lily... »
Back to Thread index
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 08:27 AM
Last year my first garden in many years, I picked up a 4 pk of peppers, labled 'hot'
and they were. I did not keep a record and do not know the name. I described them to my local nursury and they had something calle Kung Pao that looked like what I wanted. But..not so!!!!!!!
Maybe someone will recognize this description, I am not able to post photo [Frown] ,
this is a slender, ( pencil size chili that tapers and curves a little) dark green, quite smooth, about 3 to 4 inches long, and nice and hot, The plant is about 18 inches tall and does not spread out much, is VERY prolific.
I would like to get the name to put in the garden journal I am keeping, for next years planting.

-
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 08:29 AM
Sounds like a serrano. About as hot as a jalapeno, or a bit less?
What did the nursery give you this year?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 08:44 AM
The pepper they gave me was called Kung Pao, she showed me a serrano, and I see them at my grocery as well and the are a fuller shorter chile, but you have the heat right. The shape is like the little ornamental chilis you sometimes see hanging in Mexican restaurants, but these are dark green and never turn red, and are much bigger. Thanks for the help. I guess by your name that you will know if anyone does. [clappy]

-
by ChristinaC on August 02, 2006 08:49 AM
The name IS Kung Pao. I'm growing them now. I have 14 plants of them. My suggestion is to order your seeds. Funny how we sometimes know more than our local nurserys. [nutz]
If you can't find them, I'll send you some of my seeds...no problem whatsoever. PM me if you need them. [thumb]

Christina

-
 -
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 08:52 AM
I really liked these little peppers, the plants were hearty, and withstood heat and dry spells well, and I was able to just put them in a zip loc, they froze beautifully, they kept thier heat and texture pretty much, and 1 small one in a pint of salsa was just right for med/hot. I used them all winter from one quart size zip-loc.

-
by ChristinaC on August 02, 2006 08:57 AM
Here they are:

-

I'm hasty when it comes to picking my peppers. I leave plenty til' they turn red but I also love to snack on them..just like I would chomp a carrot stick! I love heat!!!!!

-
 -
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 08:57 AM
I do have 3 nice plants that they called Kung Pao, and the look the same, (plants and fruit), ( the chilis might be just a little larger), but they have no flavor and NO heat. even when I don't remove the seeds. I have always heard that the smaller the pepper the hotter but these have NO heat.

-
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 09:00 AM
I just looked at my chile poster, and there's one called thai green that fits the description. Sounds like you might do a Google Image search and see if Kung Pao or Thai Green look like your pepper.

-
Dave
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 09:01 AM
Yes mine look exactly like yours. Last year I left a few on the plant until after frost and they never turned red. Maybe I am just impatient, but my plants have a lot of peppers on each one now.

-
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 09:02 AM
Wow! Y'all are posting fast! [Big Grin]
Nice looking pepper, Christina. I like that deep green color. That looks HOT! [Mad]

-
Dave
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 09:04 AM
Have you picked any of yours? and are they hot.
I am telling you these taste pretty much like grass, no flavor no heat ,( but beautiful)

-
by ChristinaC on August 02, 2006 09:04 AM
They're hot..but not hot enough for me. [Wink] Once they're red..I'm thinkin' they'll be perfect..and with this sun and heat...I'm guessing it won't be long now! [clappy]

-
 -
by ChristinaC on August 02, 2006 09:05 AM
Lakegran..they're hot! My eyes water when I cut them up. Yum!!

-
 -
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 09:07 AM
Christina, want me to save some Habanero seed for you?

-
Dave
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 09:13 AM
Whine whine whine ,

I have been making several quarts of salsa each weekend and am still having to buy the chiles. My cilantro has been awesome this year .
What I am learning though, Is that what did well last year may not do well this year. I have to learn to enjoy what the creator sends me and fill in around that.
Anyone else make a lot of salsa? Which tomatoes do you like best. I use romas (from the market) in the winter I don't know WHY I didn't plant a couple to try in my garden.

-
by ChristinaC on August 02, 2006 09:24 AM
Dave, I would LOVE if you saved me some seeds! [clappy] All I have now is the kung pao, thai chilis and jalapenos...my mouth is watering thinking about habaneros!!

Lakegran, I make salsa..I use my homegrown peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, etc. Though, I've experimented so much and have come to the conclusion that a good beefsteak tomato (better boy, brandy wine) adds so much more flavour than a roma (paste tomato). Yes, the paste tomatoes are meatier but by using a tasty beefsteak, all you have to do is stew it down longer. But, that's just my opinion.

-
 -
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 09:24 AM
I use whatever's ripe for salsa, and even some green tomatoes. The only advantage I know of for paste tomatoes is less juice, but I don't mind juicy salsa. Homegrown romas taste better than storebought, but there are Lots of better tasting paste tomatoes...I'm growing San Marzano this year, I'll let you know how it tastes, and I'm growing Black Plum for the first time. It's DELICIOUS eaten fresh, can't wait to make salsa with some.

-
Dave
by lakegran on August 02, 2006 09:25 AM
I am sooooo jealous!!! [devil]

I really have learned so much from all you 'vets' out there. I should not whine, for I have harvested soo many good things already this year. You have given me the good information I need regarding second plantings etc. I have been eating good organic stuff a little at a time for months. [kissies]
I have been toying with the Idea of using green tomatoes too, I will try it next week. I am going to have bushels.

-
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 09:30 AM
lakegran, don't be jealous. Heat and bugs have ruined a lot of things...what counts, though, is that I've got some good tomatoes and peppers to eat, but I'll be lucky to be canning salsa this year. I still feel lucky to have the yummy stuff I'm eating, though! [thumb] [muggs] [clappy]

-
Dave
by ChristinaC on August 02, 2006 09:33 AM
I'm growing San Marzano this year as well..first for me...we will see.
A lot of people don't like the seeds in tomatoes..claim they are too bitter. But me..I love them! I think they're tangy and that they add that extra "zip" to dishes.
Don't be jealous lakegran..this is all new to me as well!! Pay attention to what peppereater, johnCT and comfrey (just to name a few) have to say...they know their tomatoes!!! [thumb] You'll learn from the best here!

-
 -
by DeepCreekLake on August 02, 2006 10:05 AM
Kung Paos, are actually a type of Cayenne, which is why they look close. They do turn red though, which is when the maximum heat is present. I am trying some Thai Dragons, and an edible ornamental call Thai Poinsettia-. The Poinsettia is absolutly loaded with peppers pointed upwards! They are edible (can be dried and used as seasoning)
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 11:07 AM
Yep, Christina, I never discard seeds. They add layers of flavor, in my opinion. I was taught by an Italian woman (almost became my MIL) to discard seeds when making sauce, but read about retaining seeds from 2 gourmet Italian cooks, and found the flavor much better. I don't bother removing skin when making salsa, either. With chunky salsa, I don't find it to be an issue. Heavily cooked salsa might be different.
PS...if you want to talk tomatoes, you mustn't forget the resident expert, Julianna!

-
Dave

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Display Fuschia| Next thread: divided and potted peace lily... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: