The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Seed packet templates

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: seed packet envelopes ~ keep| Next thread: seed packet templates »
Back to Thread index
by ShirlS on November 09, 2005 02:09 PM
Not sure where to post this. I thought here would be a good place, seeing it is where the seeds are [clappy]

They have some really cute templates here!
Seed packet templates

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by melcon6 on November 09, 2005 07:45 PM
Thank you, Shirls, These are some great templates! [thumb]

Does anyone know where I can find templates that I can add text to ? My daughter and I are going to be making some up for favors at her wedding next August and I would like to have the couples name and the date printed on them.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by mike57 on November 09, 2005 08:36 PM
[wavey] HI Melcon6 heres one that was posted by another member.you might like it has create you own seed packets.
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/projectsandcrafts/2.5.20_createsensationalseedpackets.asp
hope this is what you looking for.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wavey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Patty S on October 03, 2006 12:56 PM
Last year was my first time exchanging seeds, & I followed links to the template sites that people posted. While I thought that most of them were cute, I guess I just couldn't understand what bears & angels & cartoon characters had to do with the seeds that I'd be putting inside my packets! [nutz]

I certainly hope it doesn't sound like I'm winding up to criticize other people's seed packets... because I'm not!  -
#1, The packaging isn't what the seed exchange is all about, anyway. (I don't think any of us really cares "what they're in" when someone sends us seeds... As long as we just get them!)
#2, If/when they're used at all, seed packets are simply matters of preference... & I'm sure glad there aren't "rules" for THAT, too!

Like Mel, I wanted the option of printing my own information on the packets, using my own colors, fonts & sizes. (BTW Mel, that's really a cool idea for wedding favors!) [thumb] I thought it would be worth my while to design my own... After all, I'd be using the printer anyway (& those darned ink cartridges cost an arm & a leg), so why not use my ink for something of my own?

I also have plant profiles & pics of all my flowers saved in my "Garden" folder, so I embellished my seed packets with information that was only a click away, & included my name & the planting year that the seeds were harvested for.

Here's an example of what I ended up with:
 -
(** I also PM'd Bill to ask permission to use his logo, since he owns the copyright.**)

I get 2 seed packets per page & they come out the same size as commercial seeds packets. After cutting the printed page in half, it's not rocket science to figure out where to fold, cut & tape, without having to use more ink for dotted lines. (I use my word processing program & print them as needed.)

Again, I don't mean to criticize the going templates... I just wanted to share how I do mine, & thought that Mel might want to play around with this idea, because it's a very open-ended way to make packets exactly the way you want them to turn out!

I've been absent here in the seed exchange this year, because last year was the first year I'd ever done it & I guess that my eyes were bigger than my yard... I ended up with more seeds than I had places to plant them! [Roll Eyes] (Which was why I didn't fuss when I didn't get promised seeds back from a couple people that I made exchange agreements with, & had sent my seeds to.)

This year I was pretty satisfied with my gardens, & I want to grow the same things again next year (with only a few additions), so I'm staying out of the loop, unless I see that someone wants seeds that I have & can't find anyone else who has them. (Doubtful... my flowers are either very common, or so mundane that nobody else would want them!)

-
 -
by melcon6 on October 03, 2006 07:25 PM
Thank you , Patty! Your seed packets come out awesome! You give some great advice there, and I love the blank templates because you can add all the info and pictures you want.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I am a direction follower and need details, patterns, and dotted lines to follow! [Big Grin] I've always been like that , but I appreciate and admire the fact that some people (you and my daughter Aimee are two very good examples) can just "wing it". I've even seen her create clothing without any directions or patterns and it just amazes me.

Mike's link is an excellent one for the blank template and easy to work with to create your own seed packets. My daughter did make the seed packets and they came out beautiful, all I did was collect the seeds! We did 120 packets and each one had a teaspoon of seed, so that was alot of collecting.

-

Sorry about the blur, the packet must've moved on me [lala] [Embarrassed]

-

-
 -

by afgreyparrot on October 03, 2006 08:25 PM
Here's the blank seed pack template I use...
 -

I put my picture on it in a photo program...
 -
...this one I made for Bestofour...

...then just copy/paste a bunch of them on a page and print them.

I'm like Mel...I have to have my lines to cut on, or my seed packs would end up looking really weird. [Embarrassed]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by plants 'n pots on October 03, 2006 08:27 PM
Mel - those came out so nice - what a terrific gift for your guests!

Patty - your packets are wonderful!
I've been doing something similar for years now too. Only difference is that I try and use a picture of the flower from my own garden. I do find that it helps when there is a picture of what to expect from the seeds.

Cindy - that is so pretty, and it's nice to have a special packet to call your own!

The graphic packets are fun if the flower is a pretty common one, and the receiver knows it well. I still put the planting info on it, and any warnings or suggestions that I know about it too.

Keep up the good work everyone - they are fun to make, aren't they?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by floweringchild on October 03, 2006 11:54 PM
afgreyparrot,
Is there a free photo program that would allow me to put a picture on your templet? Neat idea Cindy! Unfortunately, I need to be taken by the hand do to this sort of stuff. [thinker]

-
 -
by Patty S on October 04, 2006 01:45 AM
SHEEZE!  - I just love it when I have to laugh at myself!
So much for priding myself in my usual attention to detail... I DID wonder why Ms Jiffy kept doing a Graemlin post in this thread as though she was lost for words, or maybe had broken her typing finger! What I hadn't noticed was that those Graemlins were a year apart! [Embarrassed]

...and I was getting ready to call you today, Mel, to find out what the heck was going on, cuz I know that I saw wedding pictures this summer, & wondered why the heck your daughter would be getting married AGAIN next summer! (Not only that, but when you came back this morning & showed those awesome seed packets & said that you'd already made them & filled them, I was thinking, "Wow, should she be doing that already? The seeds might not still be viable in the spring of 2008!")
THAT'S when I looked at the dates of the posts! [Roll Eyes]

OK, think I have it all figured out now... (& its too late to go back & delete what I said about rocket science, girls; sorry about that!) [Embarrassed]
I forgot to say that I made a cardboard template that we can lay on the page to draw cutting lines, when my Granddaughter helps me with the packets. (Ummm... did I just make it worse?)  -

Cindy, your templates are cool! I love the one you made for Sheri, & I still have the packet that G~mom sent me Rattlebox seeds in last year, that I think she said you designed, & it's equally as lovely! [thumb] I need to make mine larger (commercial seed packet size) because of these arthritic fingers... & they aren't very user-friendly for even that size!

quote:
a teaspoon of seed
[shocked] What kind of seeds were they, Mel?
Thats A LOT of seeds... unless they were bean seeds! [Big Grin]

(BTW, I made my dress for Shelly's wedding without a pattern... silk, with organdy sleeves... piece of cake!)

-
 -
by roflol on October 04, 2006 01:49 AM
Oh, you guys! Your work is beautiful! [scaredy] I hope you won't be disappointed if you get my seeds - they're going to be in recycled taped up envelope parts with handwritten labeling. I do this between jobs and haven't gotten set up for templates and all! lol, I'll be doing good to get the junk off the seeds (and I promise I will).

[Wink]
by afgreyparrot on October 04, 2006 01:55 AM
quote:
I hope you won't be disappointed if you get my seeds - they're going to be in recycled taped up envelope parts with handwritten labeling.
That's the way most of the seeds are packaged for the swap! [thumb]
Some of us just have too much time on our hands! [Big Grin] [Embarrassed]

-
 -
 -
by melcon6 on October 04, 2006 08:44 AM
Patty, I'm still laughing, I thought that's what happened (you didn't see the date) hahahaha

-
 -

by LandOfOz on October 06, 2006 02:50 AM
Patty S. your packets look beautiful! I was so inspired by them that I went and made my own, using my own pictures of the plants. I actually went and researched the plants so that there was enough information to fill the back of the packets. Which was great because I learned a lot about several different plants of mine!!

Melcon, what a wonderful and creative wedding favor!

afgreyparrot, gotta love your envelopes too--and they're personalized!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by tkhooper on October 06, 2006 03:12 AM
Well some of my seed packets are wrapping paper, and some are scrapebook paper, and some are construction paper, and some are card stock paper, and some are just plain old paper. But they all include seeds that I hope you will enjoy as much as I've enjoyed mine.

-
 -
by dodge on October 06, 2006 07:35 AM
Some of the packets I receive are so cute.

You girls and boys are so caring.. However, i am a yo yo who just uses my pks from tea bags.....Free and flip top and seal......

PS ......what do you all use for glue on the pkts?

They stick so well......Elmers doesnt.

Either way, I like seeing how everyone handles the chore...........We're all so seedy!

[lala] dodge .likes them all

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by afgreyparrot on October 06, 2006 07:43 AM
quote:
PS ......what do you all use for glue on the pkts?

I use glue sticks.

-
 -
 -
by dodge on October 06, 2006 07:55 AM
afgrey parrot

What make are they? I once had them by Avery or someone and they got funny real quick.

That is why I ask.......

I been using large rolls of clear tape from walmart.................about 3 inches wide.

Thanks,

dodge [thumb]

-
 -
by comfrey on October 06, 2006 08:33 AM
I use glue sticks also...I just buy what ever is cheapest and never have a problem, except when I use it all up. I have three different kinds in my desk drawer, and they all work fine.

-
 -
by dodge on October 06, 2006 09:40 AM
comfrey,

Walmarts or Dollar store??????

Some stuff i never look for ......

Thanks ..I will have to look .. there are so many cute little seed pkts on here.

dodge [Wink]

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 06, 2006 10:32 AM
I use my scrapbooking glue stick for sealing my seed envelopes. It's called "Memories Forever, Scrapbooking Glue Stick." All you can easily see on the stick is the word Scrapbooking in big pink letters. I believe it is 1.88 for 2 sticks. It's found in the scrapbook section, usually towards the bottom of the shelf with all the hanging items.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by dodge on October 06, 2006 08:55 PM
landofoz,

Thanks ......
I will find it next week when I go into hunt for the wide tape rolls....
They wrap everything........

However last week......postmaster hollered at me for stapling the envelopes on my brown bubbler envelopes.( recycled one for sure).. Said it tore up the belts..
Anyone else ever hear that story?

Personally I thought she was trying to make me buy expensive new ones........
I am a recycler.......I save my $$$$$
[Smile]
LMK
Out there ......anyone else get that advice/

Thanks again Sarah.........I will shop next week. RIght now my head is trobbing.. Flu or cold or something......I was mowing rag weed. Daaa.

dodge [lala]

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 06, 2006 09:28 PM
Sometimes its funny to go back and read my posts, to discover that I didn't say what I had thought I did! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Anyway, you can get those gluesticks at walmart, they are a white stick, pink lettering, and purple ends. Sorry 'bout not mentioning wally world previously! [Embarrassed]

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by dodge on October 06, 2006 10:10 PM
landofoz,

Do Kansas folks like walmart???//

I always did, but lots of folks say they dont, but the parking lot is full day an nite. It is open 24 hours.

lots of business.. All under one roof.

barb

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 06, 2006 10:32 PM
The quality of there stuff is a problem for me. A lot of it just doesn't work the way it should. And the instant pudding I got one time stopped me from ever buying food or drugs there again. It was chocolate pudding and it came out green. You know I didn't taste it.

And our local General Manager puts broken stuff back on the shelf to sell. It is really a place to avoid.

And needless to say they don't except stuff back unless you have a receipt unlike how it used to be. And you can bet the employees are not friendly. But considering the way they are treated I can't say I blame them.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 06, 2006 11:06 PM
Kansas...how to put it politely...is "rural." If you want to see what most Kansans have in their home, go to walmart!! Most of the time you have take a fairly long drive to get to a walmart and if you want something bigger/better you've got a much longer drive. Plus, there are a lot of farmers out here, who have to pinch every penny thanks to our excessive rain last year and the drought this year. Everyone shops at Walmart and then they go to Target for the "fancy" stuff! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm the only one of my parents' kids to have NOT worked at Walmart. [Big Grin] Which is pretty funny. My siblings joke that I must've been adopted!

I do have to agree with you, TK, walmart definately has some quality and employee issues!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by dodge on October 06, 2006 11:21 PM
I don't use the food dept often.. We use Aldi

But I been treated fair.. They have a special corner for returns, with a slip, but no problems. Not rude......

I always thank them and say I appreciate it.. They are nice folks.

I drive 11 mile to it.. THere is another one 4 mile, but it is a weird town.

dodge

-
 -
by loz on October 06, 2006 11:22 PM
I'd make pretty packets but I'm out of ink and I'm too cheap to buy more! [Eek!]
by dodge on October 06, 2006 11:25 PM
loz

RIght

i dont do it often......I have tea bags from Aldi store.....Empty them and flip.. If I get glue........ha ha
Ya hoooooooooooooooo..

dodge

-
 -
by comfrey on October 06, 2006 11:54 PM
dodge...the dollar store, freds & WM all have cheap glue sticks, the best time to stock up is when they have all the school supplies out, they are cheap.

-
 -
by dodge on October 07, 2006 12:31 AM
comfrey........

Thanks......i frequent the $$$$$$$$$ stores.

Hoping I can come up with some new craft ideas for christmas......I go there for latest ideas in flowers.........

thanks

dodge

-
 -
by bibee on October 07, 2006 10:26 AM
I use a glue gun. I spent about $15.00 for the gun and sticks. And the sticks will last forever.

Angela

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/bibee1990/
by Patty S on October 07, 2006 03:59 PM
** Meanwhile, back at the "Seed packet templates" topic... **

quote:
Originally posted by dodge:
....what do you all use for glue on the pkts?
I never thought of using glue sticks or a glue gun!  - I use 3/4" Magic Transparent Tape (sticks good, goes on clear, doesn't discolor).
The way I do mine is probably more involved than most people would bother with, but I always tend to get a little extreme when I do "crafts"!  -

Since I don't want tiny seeds getting trapped between the fold-overs on the inside of my packets, I tape the inside folds down first, then tape the outside, along the open edge & at the bottom.

The thing I've always disliked about commercial seed packets is that if they're not opened carefully, some of the information gets ripped off... and once you open them, the seeds spill out if the packet isn't kept upright.

To eliminate both those problems, I put a strip of tape across the closure flap & fold the outside edge of the tape back onto itself...
 -

Then I put a strip along the top of the back of the packet. When it's closed & "sealed", it can be reopened & resealed several times before the sticky wears off.
 -
The part of the tape strip that was folded back onto itself becomes an non-sticky tab to grab onto, & the sticky part won't tear the paper or lose it's stickiness right away, because of the tape strip that it seals against.

I suppose it sounds like a lot of bother for something that someone else will probably empty out & throw away, but that's how I've been doing mine. (It's not like I have a whole lot of pressing things to do with my time these days!) [grin]

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on October 07, 2006 07:18 PM
quote:
The way I do mine is probably more involved than most people would bother with,
Ya reckon? [shocked] [Big Grin] [lala]

-
 -
 -
by melcon6 on October 07, 2006 07:55 PM
Patty, you are nuts! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [lala] [nutz]

My glue stick is Elmers Craft Bond, Extra strength. I think it may be intended for scrapbooking, but I use it for the seed packets and it's GREAT!!!! Patty, I throw in a little extra in case any of the seeds get caught in the fold and I use a knife to make a slit in the top so I don't lose any of the writing. If I am not using the whole packet then I stick a piece of tape to close it back up. [thumb]

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on October 07, 2006 08:58 PM
Ya know... it never occurred to me to use a glue stick!!! [Big Grin] [nutz] [dunno]

I also use transparent tape,
but am not QUITE SO FANATICAL as our ultra organized Patty here!!! [perplexed] [kissies] [nutz]

Hey Patty - I've got a few rooms you could clean here if you're that desperate for something to do! [tongue]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by dodge on October 07, 2006 08:58 PM
Pattys

Boy you do use effort to get your seeds going.

I try to save pennies......I trade lots and enjoy the seeds, not matter what method is used.
But yours sure are pretty.....I hate to destroy the pretty ones, by opening them..ha ha

Also , what I do for seeds not to escape, is fold the complete top down,(BOth sides) then tape.
It does ruin the writing.But seeds are the mission.........

To each his own......I love all of you.

dodge ;o)

-
 -
by Lorena on October 07, 2006 11:27 PM
double sided sticky tape cut in half lenghtwise... or normal tape put in smooth side to the inside of the packet... lol! have fun!

Lorena

-
"My Treasures do not clink
together or glitter. They gleam in
the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
by LandOfOz on October 17, 2006 02:44 AM
I recently recieved some seeds in a tiny clear, ziploc-type baggie from wintersow.com (free seeds! woohoo!!). Anyway, the baggies have a regular-size label sticker that they sent through the computer and printed a pic of the plant, the name, and a brief description. I know that Microsoft Word (and probably most word-processors) have built-in templates for these--making them simple, quick, and easy!!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by dodge on October 17, 2006 03:05 AM
land of oz

thanks I will check it out .

I have mic word.

Just wondering what stickers work with that???

barb

-
 -
by dodge on October 17, 2006 03:05 AM
land of oz

thanks I will check it out .

I have mic word.

Just wondering what stickers work with that???

barb

-
 -
by LandOfOz on October 18, 2006 01:44 AM
Barb, here is a link to what the stickers look like. I know that Avery is a popular a brand for them--you can get them anywhere, walmart, office max, best buy, etc. They are sold in boxes and all you have to do is print the label and peel it off! So easy!! The ones I recieved are just a standard address-label size (2.5x1 inch). But they come in smaller sizes if you use smaller baggies.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by dodge on October 18, 2006 01:52 AM
landofoz

Thanks a bunch......

I am going to walmart 2maro......so I will check these out .

Happy garden......It is cold and rainy here today. 40 ยบ and to be warm in the morning.. sun;o)

Thanks again.

barb [flower]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on November 16, 2006 12:14 PM
[flower]
by Jiffymouse on November 16, 2006 12:25 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by dodge on November 17, 2006 02:33 AM
Jiffymouse

Passed out ...2 empties in a row.

Loz check her out.

dodge [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: seed packet envelopes ~ keep| Next thread: seed packet templates »
Back to Thread index