The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

drying seeds...Save JFE

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Drying Seeds| Next thread: drying soil? »
Back to Thread index
by Meg on October 08, 2004 01:01 PM
Ok, I posted this in another area, but perhaps here is where I should have, since this is the designated "seed" place.

I remember someone saying you can use silica gel to help dry out seeds better, so they don't get moldy, etc. Well, I bought a bucket of silica gel crystals, and ummm.. how do I use it with seeds? I obviously can't do it the way the container says to dry flowers, or else, I'd never be able to separate seed from crystal. How do I use the silica with the seed to dry them??

[muggs]
Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by SnazzieT on October 08, 2004 02:56 PM
I beleive the crystals just help to absorb moisture, that way your seed don't and will not mold...

-Tracie
by afgreyparrot on October 08, 2004 03:12 PM
I've never used silica gel for drying seeds, but if I DID, I'd just sew some material into little, teeny, tiny pillowcases and put a drawstring at the top & fill them with the silica gel. Then, just put them in a container (with a lid) with your seeds for a few days.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by weezie13 on October 08, 2004 03:47 PM
Just out of curiousity, would that silica gel
"organically" work for the seeds?
Would it do anything funny to the seed,
that it would need to leave "naturally"
when drying itself????

Just really wondering about that???

What is silica gel made of?????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Meg on October 08, 2004 03:54 PM
Ya know Weezie, I kinda wondered that myself, but I only plan to use it on a portion of my seeds to see how they fare. I have some hollyhock seeds I gathered this weekend, and they weren't dry yet. So, for that small sample, I will try the gel. Most of the seeds I've collected are pretty dry, and I think they'll be ok. Mostly, the hollyhocks are the pain in the butt seeds. [Big Grin] (last batch I got, ended up getting itty bitty buggies in them!)

Meg

-
 -

by SnazzieT on October 08, 2004 04:04 PM
I read somewhere about using them (can't find the article right now) but it also mentioned using rice also to absorb excess moisture.... perhaps rice would be better. I mean, silica is poisonous right, keep out of reach from children.

-Tracie
by gardenmom32210 on October 08, 2004 04:20 PM
quote:
Just out of curiousity, would that silica gel
"organically" work for the seeds?
Would it do anything funny to the seed,
that it would need to leave "naturally"
when drying itself????

Just really wondering about that???

What is silica gel made of?????

Heres some info for you Weezie...

silica gel

Karen [grin]
by weezie13 on October 08, 2004 04:21 PM
SnazzieT,
quote:
using rice also to absorb excess moisture.... perhaps rice would be better.
That may be a good solution.... [thumb]
(being an organic person that I am!!! [Embarrassed] )

For my own seed saving, which isn't much,
but I've talked with some that do it extentsively,
and most usually say it's a paper product *and NOT PLASTIC* to save their seeds.....

I usually wait for seeds to turn a brown (ish)
color, and put them in a mailing envelope....
If, sometimes, you have to pick when there's still a little green left on the area you'd be picking, I leave the mailing envelope open and not only the paper will help dry it, but having the envelope open keeps air to the seeds.....

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by SnazzieT on October 08, 2004 04:33 PM
^ yes, I read that too!! and immediately took my seeds out of "baggies" and into envelopes.

And now that I think of it, the article was reffering to storing seeds... like overwintering them in fridge, or storing them in the basement... you don't want them to turn moldy and such.... but may help in drying.

(goodness, I talk in circles :lol)

-Tracie
by weezie13 on October 08, 2004 04:40 PM
G~Mom,
Thank~Youuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
I got about half way [critic] thru [teacher] there and was going [shocked] [Frown] [scaredy]

My first thought, when I read it, was the silica premiating *I can't spell that word* the seed and doing something to the "make~up of the seed".....

We're wacky enough in this world with out adding funky [Razz] chemicals to our seeds, and no telling what that does to us later on.... [perplexed]
(Well, I know I am!! Anyone else??? [Big Grin] )

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by suzydaze on October 08, 2004 09:14 PM
I think they'd be okay to use with just flower seeds, but I don't think I'd want them with what I eat, althought I have found them in the tops of medicine bottles.

little canister thingy. [dunno] I don't know?

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Bill on October 08, 2004 09:48 PM
You probably don't want to know this, so read it and just forget I said it because it will probably pertain to you, but......
I'd just like to interject that there are a few seeds that must be planted fresh, without drying. (I.E. Clivia miniata) [Roll Eyes]

-
by Meg on October 08, 2004 10:47 PM
Thank you Bill, I had no idea some needed to be fresh. What about Hollyhocks?? The most of them were already dry.. but some were still a bit "green" when I picked em. I think the gloriosa daisies and coneflowers are dry enough.. I touch the heads that I cut, and the seeds start popping out all over the place..lol.

Meg

-
 -

by Bill on October 08, 2004 11:00 PM
I'll try to find a list of seeds that need to be fresh.The three you mentioned can be dried safely!

-
by Bill on October 08, 2004 11:09 PM
That was almost too easy...

[teacher] According to Park Seed's book "Success with Seeds", if the seed coat of Anthuriums, Philodendrons, Ginkgo, Clivia or Corynocarpus are allowed to dry out, there is nothing in the world that you can do to make them viable again!

-
by Meg on October 09, 2004 05:08 AM
Bill, you're simply amazing, with all the information. [teacher] Thanks!

[muggs]
Meg

-
 -

by suzydaze on October 13, 2004 06:00 PM
I saw on DIY last nite, that it is okay the use the gel (in a packet) for saving your seeds. it said to put the gel in there and take out in a week or so.

I guess you could look it up on their web site.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by tkhooper on September 26, 2005 07:04 AM
Is one of those the birds of paradise or coffee seeds? They are suppose to be planted before they are six months old does that count?
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2005 07:30 AM
another "organic" way to keep the seeds dry (you have to redo this several times) is to make a paper towel packet with baking soda. works well, and you can actually feel the moisture when it is time to change the packet.
by darlene87 on November 08, 2005 04:54 PM
Rice will work when storing seeds. You know those things that come in pill bottles, they are little pillows or small plastic round things, I use those. Also when I press & dry flowers, I use the above with the dried flower to keep them dry. Two other seeds to sow fresh: hepatica, and cyclamen, oh, and fushia.
Darlene
by Coriander321 on November 12, 2005 08:34 PM
How about:
laying the seed out on a ultra light cotton gauze fabric, then covering them with the same === and set some fans on low to create a light breeze.

This winter I've planted some heirlooms and this is how I hope to preserve them in super humid Florida.

Coriander321
by dodge on November 13, 2005 05:28 AM
BILL,
[Confused]
THAT DOES PUT MY THINKING CAP ON.I am not a pro, but would you not think those hard coated seeds are for that reason? Keeping the insides moist or green ?
Also what is wrong with drying your seeds on old newspapers or envelopes? Saves me time and money. Put them on the newspaper in a sunny window.. Perfect for me.
I use rice in my salt shakers.. Helps me.
[sleepy]
Guess i better let the pros answer.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by weezie13 on November 13, 2005 06:21 AM
quote:
Also what is wrong with drying your seeds on old newspapers or envelopes?
The only one problem I run into with the newspaper is....
they stick to it...
***How do you get your's not to stick to it?***

I'm tryin' some old window screens next year????
Just found some thrown out and thought
I'd try to figure something out with them...

I do do the envelope for the non~sticky one's,
that dry on the plant..
but for ones' like pumpkins, I can't put them on the paper, as they stick and end up peeling' alot of newspaper off...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by leafmom on November 13, 2005 12:04 PM
Try spreading your seeds on wax paper to prevent sticking. Good luck.
by kennyso on July 02, 2006 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SnazzieT:
I read somewhere about using them (can't find the article right now) but it also mentioned using rice also to absorb excess moisture.... perhaps rice would be better. I mean, silica is poisonous right, keep out of reach from children.
I know you put a few grains of rice into salt to absorb the moisture collected by salt. Mabe it also works for seeds, it probably does

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by Tonya on July 09, 2006 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Bill
quote:
According to Park Seed's book "Success with Seeds", if the seed coat of Anthuriums, Philodendrons, Ginkgo, Clivia or Corynocarpus are allowed to dry out, there is nothing in the world that you can do to make them viable again!

I had no idea Philodendron made seeds!! Is there some place I could find out more about this?? I have always just taken a cutting and rooted it that way to propogate. Thanks!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Jiffymouse on October 17, 2006 12:17 PM
[thumb]
by Jiffymouse on November 16, 2006 12:03 PM
[clappy]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Drying Seeds| Next thread: drying soil? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: