The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jalepeno and other peps-question?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Jalapeno Roll-ups| Next thread: Jalepeno Pepper Plants Inside? »
Back to Thread index
by chenno on July 17, 2006 11:23 AM
I have a lot of jalepenos, cayenne,banana and such...want to make salsa etc? ?when I pick, what is the best way to store till I do something with them?

Also, anyone have a jalepeno recipe, pickling? like you buy at the store? or any pepper recipes, would appreciate. Thanks

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Danno on July 17, 2006 02:22 PM
hmmmmmmmm, other than salsa the only thing i can think of for jalapenos is slicing them, using a simple brine solution of:

3 : 1 ratio of water:vinegar (i use cider vin)
1 cup salt per this ratio (use pickling salt)

Then can em for keeping. great for mexican dishes, burritos, enchilades etc.

ALSO: I plan on taking some tomatoes, dicing them, and putting jalapenos & onions and canning this mixture. This will be a quick add to chili for the wintertime!
by Triss on July 17, 2006 02:24 PM
Angie, You can freeze them. I like to bake mine and then freeze them but be careful of the fumes cuz they can fill a house quickly. To avoid this if I am doing a lot, I will use the BBQ and cook them that way.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Tamara from Minnesota on July 17, 2006 02:56 PM
They can keep in the house where cool and not too bright for many a couple weeks while you get more.
I just freeze the hot ones whole and they are great- don't stick together, last a long time and are easy to chop. For bells I cut into lobes and take off the seeds and freeze. I also pickle some hot ones for some uses. They are less spicy that way.

-
by chenno on July 18, 2006 03:18 AM
Thank you all...Will try to pickle some.
and freeze as well.

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by tkhooper on July 18, 2006 03:50 AM
Chenno can I trade you some of your banana peppers for something on my trade list? I got some this year and I loved them but didn't think to save the seeds.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jalapeno Roll-ups| Next thread: Jalepeno Pepper Plants Inside? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: